Olympus C-740 with Polarizer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Perry Babin, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Perry Babin

    Perry Babin Guest

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to use a polarizer with a C-740 and the pictures are not
    clear. It looks as if the camera is being moved as the picture is taken.
    I know it's not moving because I'm using a tripod and the timer. It's
    much worse at maximum zoom but is noticeable at wide angle also. If I
    remove the polarizer and change nothing else, the pictures are perfectly
    fine. I tried it with the polarizer in several positions (rotationally)
    and it made no difference. I even tried it on manual zoom and the
    pictures were still blurred. I tried a UV filter and it doesn't cause
    the problem.

    I'm not sure if I have a circular polarizer or a linear polarizer. It
    was used on an AE-1 so it didn't matter.

    If anyone could offer some suggestions as to how I can solve this
    problem, I'd appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance
    Perry Babin

    Perry Babin, Aug 22, 2003

  2. Perry Babin

    Perry Babin Guest

    Well... That was lots of help. The lens is fine without the polarizer.
    What camera would you have suggested with the flexibility and image
    quality of this camera (without the polarizer, of course) for $400us?

    As a side note, I purchased the camera for images on my site and a few
    other browser based applications (including some macro stuff). The
    camera will easily perform those functions flawlessly. If/when I want to
    use the camera outdoors, I'd like to be able to use a polarizer.

    I didn't mention this before but the image is perfectly focused in the
    viewfinder before the picture is taken.

    Thanks
    PB

    Perry Babin, Aug 23, 2003

  3. > I didn't mention this before but the image is perfectly focused in the
    > viewfinder before the picture is taken.

    Well that was a nice fact to leave out and throw at us after wasting time trying to figure the problem
    out. What else are you hiding from us?

    Jack in the Fox!, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Perry Babin

    Jarhead Guest

    | Hello all,
    |
    | I'm trying to use a polarizer with a C-740 and the pictures are not
    | clear. It looks as if the camera is being moved as the picture is taken.
    | I know it's not moving because I'm using a tripod and the timer. It's
    | much worse at maximum zoom but is noticeable at wide angle also. If I
    | remove the polarizer and change nothing else, the pictures are perfectly
    | fine. I tried it with the polarizer in several positions (rotationally)
    | and it made no difference. I even tried it on manual zoom and the
    | pictures were still blurred. I tried a UV filter and it doesn't cause
    | the problem.
    |
    | I'm not sure if I have a circular polarizer or a linear polarizer. It
    | was used on an AE-1 so it didn't matter.
    |
    | If anyone could offer some suggestions as to how I can solve this
    | problem, I'd appreciate it.
    |

    | Thanks in advance
    | Perry Babin

    Under "Support" on the page below there is a drop down titled " Ask
    Olympus". My guess would be that the polarized light is confusing the AF or
    the CCD doesn't like polarized light.

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp

    Jarhead

    Jarhead, Aug 23, 2003