    circuitry?

    Thanks in advance.

    Clark Martin
    Clark, Dec 11, 2006

  2. Clark

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Clark wrote:
    > Once my camera warms up, the zoom control becomes sticky. After moving
    > this control to the right or left to zoom in or out, it should
    > immediately move back to the centre position once it's released.
    > However, it moves back too slowly resulting in the lens continuing to
    > move. In addition, the shutter button (part of the same control)
    > sometimes sticks. I assume that something was spilled into the control
    > at some time. I've removed the screws releasing the control but there
    > is nothing obviously wrong to the naked eye.
    >
    > Before I take it in for a costly repair ($120 CDN), is there anything I
    > can spray in the mechanism that may clear the problem but not harm the
    > circuitry?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Hi Clark...

    If I may, I'd not even consider paying 120 dollars to repair it,
    because you could replace it with much better for the same or less.

    I think I'd guess that your camera has had a little sip of
    something like coke, or else possibly been operated by a
    small person with with chocolate-y fingers :)

    Given that both the zoom and shutter portions are sticky, I think were
    it mine (I have several c-7** cameras, I'd try cleaning it with
    a bit of isopropyl alcohol.

    I'd put an older towel on the table, then moisten a q-tip a
    little. Holding the camera in portrait position, with the
    shutter button at the lowest point, I'd let just a little
    of the alcohol work it's way into the space between the
    zoom control and the case, while moving the control back
    and forth. Camera off, batteries removed, of course. I'd
    make sure that the camera position was off-center just a tad,
    so that the excess liquid dripped off onto the table. I'd do
    this many, many times, until any "run off" was absolutely clear.

    Then I'd do the same with the shutter release, over and over,
    pressing and releasing the shutter while washing it lightly.

    Finally, I'd set it down on a dry part of the towel, shutter down,
    and let it sit overnight. With any luck at all you'll find it
    fixed, but if not you may still find it better.

    If this doesn't help, then before you completely dis-assemble
    the camera let me know, and I'll be happy to send you
    photos of it apart, and cautions about the flash capacitor
    (very dangerous).

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Dec 12, 2006

  3. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > Clark wrote:
    > > Once my camera warms up, the zoom control becomes sticky. After moving
    > > this control to the right or left to zoom in or out, it should
    > > immediately move back to the centre position once it's released.
    > > However, it moves back too slowly resulting in the lens continuing to
    > > move. In addition, the shutter button (part of the same control)
    > > sometimes sticks. I assume that something was spilled into the control
    > > at some time. I've removed the screws releasing the control but there
    > > is nothing obviously wrong to the naked eye.
    > >
    > > Before I take it in for a costly repair ($120 CDN), is there anything I
    > > can spray in the mechanism that may clear the problem but not harm the
    > > circuitry?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.

    > Hi Clark...
    >
    > If I may, I'd not even consider paying 120 dollars to repair it,
    > because you could replace it with much better for the same or less.
    >
    > I think I'd guess that your camera has had a little sip of
    > something like coke, or else possibly been operated by a
    > small person with with chocolate-y fingers :)
    >
    > Given that both the zoom and shutter portions are sticky, I think were
    > it mine (I have several c-7** cameras, I'd try cleaning it with
    > a bit of isopropyl alcohol.
    >
    > I'd put an older towel on the table, then moisten a q-tip a
    > little. Holding the camera in portrait position, with the
    > shutter button at the lowest point, I'd let just a little
    > of the alcohol work it's way into the space between the
    > zoom control and the case, while moving the control back
    > and forth. Camera off, batteries removed, of course. I'd
    > make sure that the camera position was off-center just a tad,
    > so that the excess liquid dripped off onto the table. I'd do
    > this many, many times, until any "run off" was absolutely clear.
    >
    > Then I'd do the same with the shutter release, over and over,
    > pressing and releasing the shutter while washing it lightly.
    >
    > Finally, I'd set it down on a dry part of the towel, shutter down,
    > and let it sit overnight. With any luck at all you'll find it
    > fixed, but if not you may still find it better.
    >
    > If this doesn't help, then before you completely dis-assemble
    > the camera let me know, and I'll be happy to send you
    > photos of it apart, and cautions about the flash capacitor
    > (very dangerous).
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Hi Ken,

    Thank you for your very detailed solution. I think you're probably
    right about it being Coke or other similar liquid - I know it's not
    chocolatey fingers though :>). I'll give your idea a try and let you
    know how I make out.

    Merry Christmas.

    Clark
    Clark, Dec 12, 2006
  4. Clark

    Clark Guest

    Clark wrote:
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > > Clark wrote:
    > > > Once my camera warms up, the zoom control becomes sticky. After moving
    > > > this control to the right or left to zoom in or out, it should
    > > > immediately move back to the centre position once it's released.
    > > > However, it moves back too slowly resulting in the lens continuing to
    > > > move. In addition, the shutter button (part of the same control)
    > > > sometimes sticks. I assume that something was spilled into the control
    > > > at some time. I've removed the screws releasing the control but there
    > > > is nothing obviously wrong to the naked eye.
    > > >
    > > > Before I take it in for a costly repair ($120 CDN), is there anything I
    > > > can spray in the mechanism that may clear the problem but not harm the
    > > > circuitry?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance.

    > > Hi Clark...
    > >
    > > If I may, I'd not even consider paying 120 dollars to repair it,
    > > because you could replace it with much better for the same or less.
    > >
    > > I think I'd guess that your camera has had a little sip of
    > > something like coke, or else possibly been operated by a
    > > small person with with chocolate-y fingers :)
    > >
    > > Given that both the zoom and shutter portions are sticky, I think were
    > > it mine (I have several c-7** cameras, I'd try cleaning it with
    > > a bit of isopropyl alcohol.
    > >
    > > I'd put an older towel on the table, then moisten a q-tip a
    > > little. Holding the camera in portrait position, with the
    > > shutter button at the lowest point, I'd let just a little
    > > of the alcohol work it's way into the space between the
    > > zoom control and the case, while moving the control back
    > > and forth. Camera off, batteries removed, of course. I'd
    > > make sure that the camera position was off-center just a tad,
    > > so that the excess liquid dripped off onto the table. I'd do
    > > this many, many times, until any "run off" was absolutely clear.
    > >
    > > Then I'd do the same with the shutter release, over and over,
    > > pressing and releasing the shutter while washing it lightly.
    > >
    > > Finally, I'd set it down on a dry part of the towel, shutter down,
    > > and let it sit overnight. With any luck at all you'll find it
    > > fixed, but if not you may still find it better.
    > >
    > > If this doesn't help, then before you completely dis-assemble
    > > the camera let me know, and I'll be happy to send you
    > > photos of it apart, and cautions about the flash capacitor
    > > (very dangerous).
    > >
    > > Take care.
    > >
    > > Ken

    > Hi Ken,
    >
    > Thank you for your very detailed solution. I think you're probably
    > right about it being Coke or other similar liquid - I know it's not
    > chocolatey fingers though :>). I'll give your idea a try and let you
    > know how I make out.
    >
    > Merry Christmas.
    >
    > Clark

    Hello Ken,

    Success! My sticky zoom control is fixed. I followed your
    instructions but after letting it sit overnight to thoroughly dry out,
    the zoom control was again sticky. So I added a step. First I made
    sure that the alcohol had seeped under the zoom control. I then
    managed to squeeze a length of waxed dental floss under the zoom
    control, on the top-side of the control. I looped this around and under
    the control and rotated it back and forth a few times. When I pulled
    the floss out, there was some black grudge on the floss. I'll bet this
    was the sticky stuff causing the problem. I then pressure dried the
    whole thing with one of those compressed air canisters available from
    photo stores. Left it again for several hours to be sure it was dry.
    The control now moves freely. I think the alcohol softened the grudge
    and that made it easier to remove with floss. That's my guess, anyway,
    it's fixed.

    Thanks again for your help.

    Clark
    Clark, Dec 14, 2006
  5. Clark

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Clark wrote:
> [...]

    > instructions but after letting it sit overnight to thoroughly dry out,
    > the zoom control was again sticky. So I added a step. First I made
    > sure that the alcohol had seeped under the zoom control. I then
    > managed to squeeze a length of waxed dental floss under the zoom
    > control, on the top-side of the control. I looped this around and under
    > the control and rotated it back and forth a few times. When I pulled
    > the floss out, there was some black grudge on the floss. I'll bet this
    > was the sticky stuff causing the problem. I then pressure dried the
    > whole thing with one of those compressed air canisters available from
    > photo stores. Left it again for several hours to be sure it was dry.
    > The control now moves freely. I think the alcohol softened the grudge
    > and that made it easier to remove with floss. That's my guess, anyway,

    Hi Clark...

    Great, glad to hear it! :)

    The dental floss is a fantastic idea, thank you for that, I'll
    add it to my arsenal :)

    Thanks again, and a Merry Christmas to you and to yours.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Dec 14, 2006