[Olympus C-725] How can I tell if I need a circular polarizer?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Donald Newcomb, Aug 27, 2005.

  1. Sorry if this has been discussed many times in the past. I tried a Google
    search but didn't get an answer to this question.

    Skip down to the (*) to avoid the long-winded discussion.

    OK, for the last 25 years I seem to have been busy forgetting everything I
    learned about photography in high school. My picture taking has devolved
    into just so many point-and-shoot record shots of places and people.
    However, I was recently impressed by how much my pictures were suffering by
    my not following the basic techniques I learned to use many years ago with
    TLR and SLR film cameras. Among these is the importance of using a polarizer
    for outside color pictures. So I did a little research and ordered a filter
    adapter for the "better" of my two digital cameras (an Olympus C-725). Since
    my old 55mm filters will fit this adapter, I'm all set, right? Well, my
    filters date from the era before auto-focus and my OM SLRs worked fine with
    linear polarizers. I'm not sure if I need to spring the extra bucks for a
    circular polarizer.

    *So can some one tell me, or is there a way for me to test, if I need to buy
    a circular polarizer for my Olympus C-725?

    --
    Donald Newcomb
    DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net
    Donald Newcomb, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Donald Newcomb

    Jim Guest

    "Donald Newcomb" <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if this has been discussed many times in the past. I tried a Google
    > search but didn't get an answer to this question.
    >
    > Skip down to the (*) to avoid the long-winded discussion.
    >
    > *So can some one tell me, or is there a way for me to test, if I need to
    > buy
    > a circular polarizer for my Olympus C-725?

    A polarizer gets rid of hot reflections off water, etc. It also enhances
    the blue of the sky by getting rid of stray rays. You determine where you
    should use a polarizer by looking at your prints.
    Only use a circular polarizer with AF lenses and cameras. The linear can
    interfere (sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't) the the operation of
    the AF sensor.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Donald Newcomb

    Paul Mitchum Guest

    Donald Newcomb <> wrote:

    > Sorry if this has been discussed many times in the past. I tried a Google
    > search but didn't get an answer to this question.
    >
    > Skip down to the (*) to avoid the long-winded discussion.
    >
    > OK, for the last 25 years I seem to have been busy forgetting everything I
    > learned about photography in high school. My picture taking has devolved
    > into just so many point-and-shoot record shots of places and people.
    > However, I was recently impressed by how much my pictures were suffering by
    > my not following the basic techniques I learned to use many years ago with
    > TLR and SLR film cameras. Among these is the importance of using a polarizer
    > for outside color pictures. So I did a little research and ordered a filter
    > adapter for the "better" of my two digital cameras (an Olympus C-725). Since
    > my old 55mm filters will fit this adapter, I'm all set, right? Well, my
    > filters date from the era before auto-focus and my OM SLRs worked fine with
    > linear polarizers. I'm not sure if I need to spring the extra bucks for a
    > circular polarizer.
    >
    > *So can some one tell me, or is there a way for me to test, if I need to
    > buy a circular polarizer for my Olympus C-725?

    The manual should tell you if you need a circular polarizer. You
    probably do.
    Paul Mitchum, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Donald Newcomb

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Mitchum wrote:

    > The manual should tell you if you need a circular polarizer. You
    > probably do.

    I'm not sure the c-725's manual is that helpful
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 27, 2005
  5. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure the c-725's manual is that helpful

    In fact I couldn't even find any mention of the filter adapter in the
    manual, much less the filters.

    Donald Newcomb, Aug 27, 2005
  6. Donald Newcomb

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Donald Newcomb wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm not sure the c-725's manual is that helpful

    > In fact I couldn't even find any mention of the filter adapter in the
    > manual, much less the filters.
    >
    > --
    > Donald Newcomb
    > DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

    I think there was a little catalogue which came with the cam,
    somewhere in there, sort of jumbled in with stuff there might be
    something. The whole thing feels as clear as mud to me.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 28, 2005