Olympus C-700 Service Manual or Schematic?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Fred, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
    don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)

    Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
    schematic.

    I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
    anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
    your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
    parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
    they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

    I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and FIXED
    it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
    problem with this model.

    NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
    isolated the problem to the camera itself.

    I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    more picture, maybe not.

    I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact points
    are all good & clean. No change in performance.

    Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act the
    same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the camera,
    I know that for sure.

    Thanks in advance!

    Fred

    Fred, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Fred

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
    > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
    >
    > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
    > schematic.
    >
    > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
    > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it with
    > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service or
    > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they said
    > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).

    Hi...

    I can't tell where you are; but I *think* verizon is the
    southern USA.

    If you'll send me an email I'll send you back the name of
    a fellow in california usa who does good and inexpensive
    work. And is an Olympus repair depot.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 24, 2004

  3. "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
    > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
    >
    > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
    > schematic.
    >
    > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
    > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it

    with
    > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service

    or
    > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they

    said
    > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
    >
    > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and

    FIXED
    > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
    > problem with this model.
    >
    > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
    > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
    >
    > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > more picture, maybe not.
    >
    > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact

    points
    > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    >
    > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act

    the
    > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the

    camera,
    > I know that for sure.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Fred

    Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
    to a cap on the CF card.

    Jack-of-the-Dust, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Fred wrote:
    > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this?
    > (Please... don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd
    > party.)

    Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2004
  5. Fred

    kosh Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone know how to get a service manual or schematic on this? (Please...
    > don't say call Olympus, etc... I'll like to find a 3rd party.)
    >
    > Problem is isolated to a short, but that's as far as I can get without a
    > schematic.
    >
    > I just contacted Olympus about this and the best they can do is "fix
    > anything wrong with the camera for $155." Good deal if you ran over it

    with
    > your Mack truck, but not much of a deal if it just takes a minor service

    or
    > parts replacement. Thanks for the lead on the camera shop -- but they

    said
    > they would just send it in to Olympus for an estimate ($155).
    >
    > I would sure appreciate hearing from someone who had this problem and

    FIXED
    > it. A quick check of google and ebay and I see that this is a common
    > problem with this model.
    >
    > NOTE: It is not a battery problem or bad contacts. I have already
    > isolated the problem to the camera itself.
    >
    > I have a C-700 which is about 18 months old. My problem isn't
    > ordinary battery drain, rather what I suspect to be some kind of short
    > circuit. Newly inserted batteries, alkaline or (brand new, fully
    > charged NiMH) re-chargeables only work for a picture or two. I can
    > open the compartment door, rub the contacts a bit, and get maybe one
    > more picture, maybe not.
    >
    > I posted this query about a month ago, and got a suggestion clean the
    > contacts, check the springs, etc. I have done this and the contact

    points
    > are all good & clean. No change in performance.
    >
    > Already checked the obvious -- tried several new batteries and all act

    the
    > same, batteries are not in backwards, etc. The problem is with the

    camera,
    > I know that for sure.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Fred

    I have also heard this short from the power supply is a problem. I also herd
    the clamshell design (mju in Aus) had the door taken from the film version
    of the camera. The door saw use every 15 or so rolls, now it does for
    everytime you download images or recharge your batttery.
    While the design was excellent for film cameras... apparently it does not
    put up with the wear and tear required from the digi version.

    Just what I heard..... from a tech.

    kosh

    kosh, Jul 25, 2004
  6. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Jack-of-the-Dust" <> wrote in message

    > Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night due
    > to a cap on the CF card.

    No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that would
    help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
    see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when new
    batteries are first installed.

    Fred, Jul 25, 2004
  7. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks, will check it out.
    Fred

    Fred, Jul 25, 2004
  8. That's right. Another case study! The C50 is a little beauty. But the
    metal pins of the sliding cover ride in a plastic track. After average to
    heavy use, the pins cut through the track, the door jams or falls off.
    _________________________________
    John Hermanson
    Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
    21 South Lane,
    Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
    631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
    _________________________________

    John Hermanson, Jul 27, 2004
  9. Digital service is a common problem as most if not all Japanese camera
    manufacturers decided (in unison?) that they would simply refuse to sell
    digital camera service manuals to independent repair shops or end users.
    _________________________________
    John Hermanson
    Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
    21 South Lane,
    Huntington, NY, 11743-4714,
    631-424-2121, www.zuiko.com
    _________________________________

    John Hermanson, Jul 27, 2004
  10. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Thanks for the contact, Ken. He replied but doesn't work on Olympus C-700
    or know any referrals or documentation. Very good contact for future
    though. Thanks again!!

    Fred, Jul 31, 2004
  11. On Sunday, July 25, 2004 at 08:53:24 Sunday, 25 July 2004 (where I live), "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

    > Are you sure you really wanted to post this to rec.photo.equipment.35mm?

    Or aus.photo. "aus" being "Australia", which is a long way from where you
    are!

    --
    Anyone who is popular is bound to be disliked.

    John Phillips, Aug 1, 2004
  12. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > "Jack-of-the-Dust" <> wrote in message
    > > >

    > > Have you changed memory cards? Some Fuji have battery drain over night

    due
    > > to a cap on the CF card.

    > No, I haven't. Only used the same one. I'm wondering though if that

    would
    > help. The batteries are OK -- they don't drain. The camera just doesn't
    > see that they are fully charged, and the problem occurs right away, when

    new
    > batteries are first installed.

    I just tried a 2nd memory card and no change in camera - eliminated that
    possibility. Thanks for the idea. I did talk to a half dozen repair shops
    last week and no one in the greater Los Angeles works on the Olympus C700.
    They all send it to Olympus for a "quote". With minimum charges, etc., the
    bare minimum to get it fixed would be $130 and dealing thru a 3rd party.
    I'll just go direct to Olympus and bite the bullet.

    Fred, Aug 8, 2004
  13. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
    the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's not
    the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
    each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken about
    100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4 new
    ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
    since.

    Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

    Thanks!!
    Fred

    Fred, Aug 15, 2004
  14. Fred

    al-Farrob Guest

    Fred wrote:

    I have a 730 and have never had that problem, though I have another Olympus,
    the c-350 which always says battery is empty, but it goes on shooting
    normally.

    --
    al-Farrob

    al-Farrob, Aug 16, 2004
  15. Fred

    Ken Chandler Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started
    > giving me the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new
    > batteries.

    On the off chance you are not using "Heavy Duty" batteries instead of
    Alkalines are you?

    > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?

    Have seen this on many brands/models with "Heavy Duty" batts.

    Regards, Ken

    Ken Chandler, Aug 16, 2004
  16. Fred

    Fred Guest

    No, I'm always using alkaline. Thx though.

    Fred, Aug 17, 2004
  17. try using some NiMH rechargable batteries, if problem persists see
    manufacturer :)

    Sam @ Digital City, Aug 23, 2004
  18. Fred

    kosh Guest

    "Fred" <> wrote in message
    > Have had this camera a long time but all of a sudden, it started giving me
    > the "battery empty" message right after I install 4 new batteries. It's

    not
    > the batteries -- I have tried 4 different NEW packs and same result with
    > each one. Nothing special happened the day it started -- I had taken

    about
    > 100 photos with no problem, then when the batteries ran out, I put in 4

    new
    > ones and got 2 photos before "battery empty" message came up. Same ever
    > since.
    >
    > Wonder if anyone had this problem come up on this or a similar model?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Fred

    assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is short
    in the camera.
    take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.

    kosh

    kosh, Aug 24, 2004
  19. "kosh" <> wrote in message

    > assuming they are rechargeables, this is a common sypton when there is
    > short
    > in the camera.
    > take it to a tech, they will be able to tell you for sure.

    This thread started out in the electronics repair newsgroup. He knows
    Olympus can fix it, for a price about equal to a new camera. He's wondering
    how an ordinary mortal, skilled in electronics, can fix it.

    Michael A. Covington, Aug 24, 2004
  20. Fred

    Sofie Guest

    the answer is NO.