Olympus C-5060WZ problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Basiltoo, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. Basiltoo

    Basiltoo Guest

    Mike F. <> wrote in

    > About 6 months ago I upgraded from my Olympus 2000Z to a new C-5060
    > Wide Zoom. However, I have been frustrated by the new camera's thirst
    > for light. When I am not using the flash, even on sunny days with the
    > shades open, the automatic shutter speed hardly ever goes faster than
    > 1/15, and is usually around 1/3, resulting in blur from hand shake or
    > any movement. Attempts to manually control the shutter speed haven't
    > fared much better as I end up with dark pictures. I have experimented
    > a lot trying to get good indoor pictures, modifying every setting the
    > camera offers in attempts to get sharper pictures.

    What ISO setting are you using?

    --
    Regards,
    Baz

    http://www.trevellan.co.uk

    Basiltoo, Apr 24, 2004

  2. Basiltoo

    Mike F. Guest

    About 6 months ago I upgraded from my Olympus 2000Z to a new C-5060
    Wide Zoom. However, I have been frustrated by the new camera's thirst
    for light. When I am not using the flash, even on sunny days with the
    shades open, the automatic shutter speed hardly ever goes faster than
    1/15, and is usually around 1/3, resulting in blur from hand shake or
    any movement. Attempts to manually control the shutter speed haven't
    fared much better as I end up with dark pictures. I have experimented
    a lot trying to get good indoor pictures, modifying every setting the
    camera offers in attempts to get sharper pictures.

    It is all the more apparent in comparison to the C-2000Z. It takes
    amazing indoor pictures, bright and clear at 1/30 speed under the
    exact same conditions where the C-5060 struggles at 1/3 speed.

    Logic would dictate the opposite results. The C-5060 has a much wider
    lens, which would supposedly let in more light, and thus allow faster
    exposures in low light conditions. Right?

    I should note that, in brighter settings the C-5060 takes excellent
    pictures.

    Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I am getting tired of having
    entire sessions spoiled by motion blur when I think there should be
    enough light to have relatively steady pictures. It has gotten to the
    point where I use the C2000Z when I am indoors and ignore my new
    camera. But considering that the majority of my pictures are indoors,
    I find this an unacceptable situation.

    Mike F., Apr 24, 2004

  3. "Mike F." <> wrote in message
    > About 6 months ago I upgraded from my Olympus 2000Z to a new C-5060
    > Wide Zoom. However, I have been frustrated by the new camera's thirst
    > for light. When I am not using the flash, even on sunny days with the
    > shades open, the automatic shutter speed hardly ever goes faster than
    > 1/15, and is usually around 1/3, resulting in blur from hand shake or
    > any movement. Attempts to manually control the shutter speed haven't
    > fared much better as I end up with dark pictures. I have experimented
    > a lot trying to get good indoor pictures, modifying every setting the
    > camera offers in attempts to get sharper pictures.
    >
    > It is all the more apparent in comparison to the C-2000Z. It takes
    > amazing indoor pictures, bright and clear at 1/30 speed under the
    > exact same conditions where the C-5060 struggles at 1/3 speed.
    >
    > Logic would dictate the opposite results. The C-5060 has a much wider
    > lens, which would supposedly let in more light, and thus allow faster
    > exposures in low light conditions. Right?

    Tahis is a false assumtion. The angle fo view of the lens does not dictate
    how much light the lens passes. The f stop is a function of the effective
    opening size divided by the focal length.
    The C5060WZ suffers from a lesser lens than say the C5050Z. You give up lens
    speed and get field of view. You can get the same field of view and not a
    loss of lens speed by usig their WA adapter lens mounted on a CLA-1 used
    with the C5050Z.
    Again what capture speed have you chosen? Try setting it higher.

    Ed

    Jack-of-the-Dust, Apr 24, 2004
  4. Basiltoo

    Steve Echols Guest

    Set the cameras iso to 400 instead of auto and keep to the wide end of
    the lens, it has a wider aperature (2.8 instead of 4. at the tele end
    of the zoom).
    Steve

    Steve Echols, Apr 24, 2004
  5. Basiltoo

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Mike F. <> wrote:
    >About 6 months ago I upgraded from my Olympus 2000Z to a new C-5060
    >Wide Zoom. However, I have been frustrated by the new camera's thirst
    >for light. When I am not using the flash, even on sunny days with the
    >shades open, the automatic shutter speed hardly ever goes faster than
    >1/15, and is usually around 1/3, resulting in blur from hand shake or
    >any movement. Attempts to manually control the shutter speed haven't
    >fared much better as I end up with dark pictures. I have experimented
    >a lot trying to get good indoor pictures, modifying every setting the
    >camera offers in attempts to get sharper pictures.
    >
    >It is all the more apparent in comparison to the C-2000Z. It takes
    >amazing indoor pictures, bright and clear at 1/30 speed under the
    >exact same conditions where the C-5060 struggles at 1/3 speed.
    >
    >Logic would dictate the opposite results. The C-5060 has a much wider
    >lens, which would supposedly let in more light, and thus allow faster
    >exposures in low light conditions. Right?
    >
    >I should note that, in brighter settings the C-5060 takes excellent
    >pictures.
    >
    >Can anyone explain this phenomenon? I am getting tired of having
    >entire sessions spoiled by motion blur when I think there should be
    >enough light to have relatively steady pictures. It has gotten to the
    >point where I use the C2000Z when I am indoors and ignore my new
    >camera. But considering that the majority of my pictures are indoors,
    >I find this an unacceptable situation.

    The problem is that the 5060 has a F2.8-4.8 lens. If you are near the
    tele end of the lens you are above F4, which indoor conditions requires
    long exposure times.

    The other issue is that you are probably shooting at ISO 64, while the
    2000 starts at ISO 100, i.e. the 2000 is more sensitive to light becasue
    it has bigger pixels.

    There is nothing you can do, except using an external flash for interior
    shots or incresing ISO to perhaps ISO 200. Or, if low light shots are
    really so important, sell the 5060 and buy a 5050 (which starts at
    F1.8).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 25, 2004