Olympus C-5050 Zoom Problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by news.verizon.net, Sep 12, 2003.

  1. I have a Olympus C-5050 Zoom digital camera. Since learning and using the
    higher resolutions I am having the following problems.

    Problems:
    1. When I increase the resolution from HQ (default) to SHQ 3200 x 2400,
    all of the SHQ photos have a reddish tint or hue to them.
    This happens only at the higher resolutions. I have set the resolution in
    the "P" or Program Mode, and in the "My" Mode with the same results. The
    default HQ setting does not have this reddish tint.

    2. Also, I am using 32, 64, 128, and 256 Olympus XD cards. The number of
    photos remaining for the SHQ resolution is different in the top and the back
    displays. For example, when using any of my XD cards and set at SHQ as
    above, and the XD memory card is empty, when using a 256mb XD card the top
    display indicates 71 photos, and the back display indicates only 55. When in
    the "P" or Program Mode and the default HQ resolution is displayed both
    displays indicate the same number of photos, 210. The same thing happens
    when I change the size of the XD card for the camera, and I have 32, 64,
    128, and 256 XD cards.

    I will be sending it back for service, but due to the Olympus turn around
    time I will take it on vacation first. Anyway, does anyone that has this
    camera have any of these problems? If yes, is there a work around in the
    set-up of the camera that can prevent the first problem. I would like to
    make any adjustment in the camera vs. after taking photos and using software
    to correct the problem.

    Any assistance would be appreciated,

    Thank you,

    lace2

    news.verizon.net, Sep 12, 2003

  2. news.verizon.net

    JK Guest

    "news.verizon.net" wrote:

    > I have a Olympus C-5050 Zoom digital camera. Since learning and using the
    > higher resolutions I am having the following problems.
    >
    > Problems:
    > 1. When I increase the resolution from HQ (default) to SHQ 3200 x 2400,

    That is interpolated. Don't use that mode.

    > all of the SHQ photos have a reddish tint or hue to them.
    > This happens only at the higher resolutions. I have set the resolution in
    > the "P" or Program Mode, and in the "My" Mode with the same results. The
    > default HQ setting does not have this reddish tint.
    >
    > 2. Also, I am using 32, 64, 128, and 256 Olympus XD cards. The number of
    > photos remaining for the SHQ resolution is different in the top and the back
    > displays. For example, when using any of my XD cards and set at SHQ as
    > above, and the XD memory card is empty, when using a 256mb XD card the top
    > display indicates 71 photos, and the back display indicates only 55. When in
    > the "P" or Program Mode and the default HQ resolution is displayed both
    > displays indicate the same number of photos, 210. The same thing happens
    > when I change the size of the XD card for the camera, and I have 32, 64,
    > 128, and 256 XD cards.

    Those are just estimates. Image sizes vary. Don't worry about it.

    > I will be sending it back for service,

    Why?

    JK, Sep 12, 2003

  3. "JK" <> wrote in news:...

    > > Problems:
    > > 1. When I increase the resolution from HQ (default) to SHQ 3200 x

    2400,

    > That is interpolated. Don't use that mode.

    I am owning a Canon S50 right now and I am wondering if the same applies for
    other cameras that in super quality pixels are interpolated. The default
    setting for my camera was HQ but set it to SHQ. Maybe there was a reason
    that it has been at HQ by default?

    I just had a look to the manual but it does not tell anything about some
    interpolation. Curious as I am I took some test pictures right now and
    examined the pictures with following results:

    With the 1600 x 1200 Pixels resolution the SHQ looks better (a little
    sharper maybe).
    With the 2592 x 1944 Pixels resolution the HQ looks better (even a little
    sharper).

    However, comparing sensor sizes the Olympus C-5050 has the same sensor size
    as my Canon S50. For the C-5050 dpreview shows a maximum resolution of 2560
    x 1920 in technical specifications. So if camera shows a setting of 3200 x
    2400 Pixels resolution it becomes quite clear that there is a lot of
    interpolation...

    Greetings, Martin Wildam.

    Martin Wildam, Sep 13, 2003
  4. news.verizon.net

    JK Guest

    Martin Wildam wrote:

    > "JK" <> wrote in news:...
    >
    > > > Problems:
    > > > 1. When I increase the resolution from HQ (default) to SHQ 3200 x

    > 2400,
    > >
    > > That is interpolated. Don't use that mode.
    > >

    > I am owning a Canon S50 right now and I am wondering if the same applies for
    > other cameras that in super quality pixels are interpolated. The default
    > setting for my camera was HQ but set it to SHQ. Maybe there was a reason
    > that it has been at HQ by default?
    >
    > I just had a look to the manual but it does not tell anything about some
    > interpolation.

    The normal SHQ mode is not interpolated. I was referring to the 3200x2400
    mode on the C5050 as being interpolated. 3200x2400 is 7.68 megapixels,
    yet the sensor is only 5 megapixels.

    JK, Sep 13, 2003
  5. news.verizon.net

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Cool Hand <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:11:31 -0400, JK <> wrote:
    >
    >=>
    >=>
    >=>"news.verizon.net" wrote:
    >=>
    >=>> I have a Olympus C-5050 Zoom digital camera. Since learning and using the
    >=>> higher resolutions I am having the following problems.
    >=>>
    >=>> Problems:
    >=>> 1. When I increase the resolution from HQ (default) to SHQ 3200 x 2400,
    >=>
    >=>That is interpolated. Don't use that mode.
    >
    >All data from DC is interpolated, interpreted and translated.
    >
    >How do you think light can be converted to digital information?

    But going from 5mp to 7.68mp is ridiculous, it's like using digital zoom
    with interpolation. You're going to get the most detailed output by
    demosaicing to the same resolution as the sensor pixels.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Sep 14, 2003