Olympus C-4000 or C-750?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry R Harrison Jr, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Having lusted quite awhile for something more than the point & shoot Coolpix
    755 I have--but having little money (the idea I could possibly afford a D70
    or D100 is a total joke)--I've long considered maybe an Olympus
    C-4000--which many have praised for its quality and its manual controls, yet
    at a very low price.

    Basically it seems to be a poor man's Powershot G3 or Coolpix 5400--equal to
    those cameras in being more of "prosumer" type except for the lack of RAW
    storage ability--but pretty much equal to them otherwise in quality and
    abilities.

    That said, apparently for not much more I could have the C-750--which has a
    10x zoom vs 3x of the C4000. Plus of course the C4000 uses the rather dated
    "smart media" cards while the C-750 uses the xD cards which are MUCH more
    prevalent nowadays.

    They all seem to have the same manual options that make them well above a
    normal point & shoot type of camera like the 775 I have.

    Then again, maybe the C-5000 or C-5050 would be even better.

    Tips for the confused?

    LRH
    Larry R Harrison Jr, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    m II Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

    > That said, apparently for not much more I could have the C-750--which has a
    > 10x zoom vs 3x of the C4000. Plus of course the C4000 uses the rather dated
    > "smart media" cards while the C-750 uses the xD cards which are MUCH more
    > prevalent nowadays.
    >
    > They all seem to have the same manual options that make them well above a
    > normal point & shoot type of camera like the 775 I have.
    >
    > Then again, maybe the C-5000 or C-5050 would be even better.
    >
    > Tips for the confused?

    Don't let the type of memory be the deciding factor. Smartmedia cards
    are available in up 128mb sizes, so just get more than one card.

    Is the 10X zoom on the 750 important? It's hard to take pictures at that
    length and not have shake. When it gets a bit dark it will be impossible
    to hold the camera steady enough to take a good shot without using a
    tripod. The older 2100z had image stabilization, but that one is not
    available anymore.

    The 5050 has a very nice f1.8 lens and uses a variety of memory vards.
    It may be discontinued, though. If you can find one it's worth it.

    mike
    m II, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Doug Guest

    I have the Oly 730uz. Once you've used the 10x zoom , you will never go
    back to anything less. It also has good macro capabilities to. It will focus
    down to 4cm away. It takes a while to get used to the menu driven
    controls...everything seems buried in there somewhere....'how the heck do I
    set the manual focus again??'

    Doug

    Doug, Apr 14, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    al-Farrob Guest

    Doug wrote:

    > I have the Oly 730uz. Once you've used the 10x zoom , you will never go
    > back to anything less. It also has good macro capabilities to. It will
    > focus down to 4cm away. It takes a while to get used to the menu driven
    > controls...everything seems buried in there somewhere....'how the heck do
    > I set the manual focus again??'

    Simply press and hold on the ok button :)

    --
    al-Farrob
    al-Farrob, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Jorge Guest

    Olympus C-4000 has RAW mode

    >I've long considered maybe an Olympus
    > C-4000--which many have praised for its quality and its manual controls,

    yet
    > at a very low price.
    >
    > Basically it seems to be a poor man's Powershot G3 or Coolpix 5400--equal

    > those cameras in being more of "prosumer" type except for the lack of RAW
    > storage ability

    The C-4000 does indeed have an undocumented RAW mode.
    Join the C4000 support group at Yahoo and see this thread:

    The required files have been uploaded to the files area.

    Cheers,

    -Jorge
    Jorge, Apr 14, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    jpc Guest

    Re: Olympus C-4000 has RAW mode

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:00:33 -0500, "Jorge" <>
    wrote:

    >>I've long considered maybe an Olympus
    >> C-4000--which many have praised for its quality and its manual controls,

    >yet
    >> at a very low price.
    >>
    >> Basically it seems to be a poor man's Powershot G3 or Coolpix 5400--equal

    >> those cameras in being more of "prosumer" type except for the lack of RAW
    >> storage ability

    >The C-4000 does indeed have an undocumented RAW mode.
    >Join the C4000 support group at Yahoo and see this thread:
    >
    >The required files have been uploaded to the files area.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >-Jorge

    It looks like all olympus cameras from around the 20xx series and
    perhaps before have an undocumented raw mode similar to the one in the
    Nikon Coolpix cameras. The main differences seem to be that some
    olympus camera can be made to produce ORF files while others produce
    NEF files. My camera, a 3020Z, has the same sensor as a coolpic 990
    and uses the raw2nefw to create a NEF file that photoshop can work
    with from the "really really raw" file the camara creates

    There are some minor issues regarding file size but from the somewhat
    limited experiments I've done you can obtain surprisingly good color
    images when shooting at the equivelent of ISO 3200 and even 6400.

    There is some information in the c4000 group but there is more in the
    c405080 group where folks who discovered this undocumented goody hang
    out.

    jpc
    jpc, Apr 14, 2004