olympus C-350 vs Sony DSC-P92

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Olivier V., Aug 14, 2003.

  1. Olivier V.

    Olivier V. Guest

    I'm in search of a new digital camera. Right now I have a Kodak DX3600
    (2.3mp). I like it, but it doesn't have much features & the megapixels are
    running old, think it's time for an update to a more advanced cam.

    I want a +3MP digital camera & want a price of about 300 euro (that is
    +-300$ i guess). With some features on it (like portrait, landscape,
    landscape portrait, ... iso 100, iso 300, ...)

    I was thinking of a Olympus C-350 zoom or a Sony Cybershot DSC-p92.
    Both have the same specs (3x zoom; 3.2 mp, ...)
    Both have also a rather expensive memory card (olympus: xD card: which is
    said to be faster - sony: memorystick: don't know anything yet about that
    card).

    Now: does anyone have personal experience with one or both of these
    camera's?
    Which one does the crowd advice me to buy?
    Any other cam's that would fit my needs?
    Anyone know more details about xD & memory sticks?

    thx in advance,
    kind regards,
    Oliver
    Olivier V., Aug 14, 2003

  2. Olivier V.

    JK Guest

    C350? That must be a European model number. Can you tell us the US
    model number that it is sold under? The most important thing on a
    camera is the lens. Small cameras has small lenses which let little
    light in at the telephoto end. If you want a versatile camera that
    will perform well on low light, you need a larger camera with a
    lens that lets more light in. I suggest that you increase your budget
    a bit, and look at the Olympus C4000(or if you can increase it
    even more, the C5050 or the Canon G3 or G5).

    JK, Aug 14, 2003

  3. Olivier V.

    Biker_Bry Guest

    I bought the Sony DSC-P72, and I really liked it. I liked the AA batteries
    (can get batteries anywhere in a pinch). The rechargeables nowdays are
    pretty good.
    Someone in here said it has a case of the "Glowing Greens", I agree it did
    have the glowing greens.
    I liked it, but I traded soon after I bought it. I had come across a few
    extra bucks, and upgraded to a DSC-P92 5.0 MP.
    It's a good point and shoot camera. The Sony Memory Stick is fine...
    The Software with the Sony Sucks, but I have other photo software I use.
    I don't care for Oly cameras... Had a really bad SLR experiance.
    Biker_Bry, Aug 15, 2003