    cameras are a bit more on the 'dumb end user' side.

    Bought this for a neice, I'm thinking I need to get her something a
    little easier.

    bizee, Dec 1, 2006

  2. bizee

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    bizee wrote:
    > Just got this camera on ebay. I'm assuming it works and the issue is
    > Operator error (ME!!).
    >
    > Everything appears to be in working order, there were a couple of
    > photos on the card when I received it, zoom works etc etc etc. I
    > cannot get it to actually take a picture.
    >
    > Reading the instructions, it says to hover your finger over the shutter
    > release button, then when its set for focus and exposure, press fully.
    >

    > Tried all manner of this and nothing. I feel like an idiot. Our
    > cameras are a bit more on the 'dumb end user' side.
    >
    > Bought this for a neice, I'm thinking I need to get her something a
    > little easier.

    Hi...

    Suspect that problem might be with the word "hover"

    What you're actually going to do is press the shutter halfway
    until the focus (green led) stops flashing. Hold your finger at
    that point without either pushing it further or letting go until
    the smile on your niece's face is perfectly angelic, then at that
    moment press it further to take the picture.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Dec 1, 2006

  3. bizee

    Paul Allen Guest

    On 1 Dec 2006 12:50:12 -0800
    "bizee" <> wrote:

    > Just got this camera on ebay. I'm assuming it works and the issue is
    > Operator error (ME!!).
    >
    > Everything appears to be in working order, there were a couple of
    > photos on the card when I received it, zoom works etc etc etc. I
    > cannot get it to actually take a picture.
    >
    > Reading the instructions, it says to hover your finger over the
    > shutter release button, then when its set for focus and exposure,
    > press fully.
    >

    > Tried all manner of this and nothing. I feel like an idiot. Our
    > cameras are a bit more on the 'dumb end user' side.

    I think you need to elaborate a bit about exactly what you've tried
    and what you mean exactly by "nothing". One take on your words is
    that you're "hovering" your finger over the shutter release waiting
    for the camera to do something. I think you're probably smarter than
    that. So, some questions:

    Are you actually touching the shutter button? (just for completeness)
    When you half-press the shutter, do you get any indication in the
    viewfinder that the camera has set the exposure?
    Are you actually pushing the shutter button all the way down?
    Do you hear anything when you do that?
    Is there any response in the viewfinder or on the LCD when you push the
    shutter button all the way?
    Have you looked on the card after pushing the shutter all the way?

    If you're pushing the shutter and you're not finding new images on
    the card, the camera's likely broken. Or, perhaps this camera can
    be manually locked so that it will not take pictures. If the card
    were bad or write-locked, you'd expect the camera to complain about it.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Dec 1, 2006
  4. bizee

    bizee Guest

    > I think you need to elaborate a bit about exactly what you've tried
    > and what you mean exactly by "nothing". One take on your words is
    > that you're "hovering" your finger over the shutter release waiting
    > for the camera to do something. I think you're probably smarter than
    > that. So, some questions:

    > Are you actually touching the shutter button? (just for completeness)

    Yes

    > When you half-press the shutter, do you get any indication in the
    > viewfinder that the camera has set the exposure?

    No.

    > Are you actually pushing the shutter button all the way down?

    Yes

    > Do you hear anything when you do that?

    Yes, after a bit, the green light goes on, never flashes, sound like a
    picture was taken (kind of, you don't hear a good CLICK

    > Is there any response in the viewfinder or on the LCD when you push the
    > shutter button all the way?

    Yes, I did notice it almost froze, as if it got the focus set or
    whatever it does.

    > Have you looked on the card after pushing the shutter all the way?

    Yes, no pictures I did even format the card.

    bizee, Dec 1, 2006
  5. bizee

    bizee Guest

    bizee wrote:

    > > I think you need to elaborate a bit about exactly what you've tried
    > > and what you mean exactly by "nothing". One take on your words is
    > > that you're "hovering" your finger over the shutter release waiting
    > > for the camera to do something. I think you're probably smarter than
    > > that. So, some questions:

    > > Are you actually touching the shutter button? (just for completeness)

    > Yes
    >
    > > When you half-press the shutter, do you get any indication in the
    > > viewfinder that the camera has set the exposure?

    > No.
    >
    > > Are you actually pushing the shutter button all the way down?

    > Yes
    >
    > > Do you hear anything when you do that?

    > Yes, after a bit, the green light goes on, never flashes, sound like a
    > picture was taken (kind of, you don't hear a good CLICK
    >
    > > Is there any response in the viewfinder or on the LCD when you push the
    > > shutter button all the way?

    > Yes, I did notice it almost froze, as if it got the focus set or
    > whatever it does.
    >

    > > Have you looked on the card after pushing the shutter all the way?

    > Yes, no pictures I did even format the card.
    >

    > > If you're pushing the shutter and you're not finding new images on
    > > the card, the camera's likely broken. Or, perhaps this camera can
    > > be manually locked so that it will not take pictures. If the card
    > > were bad or write-locked, you'd expect the camera to complain about it.
    > >
    > > Paul Allen

    UPDATE
    I tried some more, got it to 'lock in the focus' using the LCD to view,
    yet it seemed to try and try, but no picture was taken.

    bizee, Dec 2, 2006