    attachements. Also, what' the best rechargeable (AA sized) batteries to use
    for these cameras?

    Thanks.

    ConTactMe, Aug 17, 2003

  2. << Also, what' the best rechargeable (AA sized) batteries to use
    for these cameras? >>

    I have the C-3040Z which is similar to the C-4000.

    Mine can be used with AA batteries, but came with a set of CR-V3 Lithium
    batteries. After years of fighting NiMH batteries in the Olympus as well as
    other equipment, I finally tried the lithiums. I haven't run down the first
    set after a couple of months. It is quite a relief not having to worry about
    the NiMH batteries being self-discharged when I need them.

    The CF-V3s are somewhat expensive compared to rechargeable NiMH batteries. It
    is well worth it to me not having to fuss with charging and then worrying about
    self-discharge. I carry one spare set for when they do run down, and then can
    replace the spare set at my leisure.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Aug 18, 2003

  3. "ConTactMe" <> writes:

    > Can anyone tell me if the Olympus Camedia cameras have any good wide-angle
    > or telephoto attachements, and where can I get them cheap? I'm also
    > wondering about quality/reliability.

    Generally cheap != quality/reliability. However, if you go to:

    http://www.bhphoto.com
    http://www.adorama.com

    the prices will be much cheaper than what the Olympus Expensitorium charges,
    and neither store is a rip-off store. Olympus generally makes good quality
    glass, but it isn't cheap. In terms of wide angle, the WCON-7 (0.7x
    magnification) is well thought of, and for telephoto, the TCON-17 (1.7x
    magnification) gets lots of rave reviews.

    In terms of other manufacturers, stick with well known lenses (Kenko, Tiffen,
    Raynox). Titanium and Crystal Opitcs lenses tend to be junk, as are any lenses
    intended for a video camera.

    > I've tried reading the specs on the C-4000 and C-720, but I don't see their
    > numbers listed in the description for the telephoto or wide-angle
    > attachements. Also, what' the best rechargeable (AA sized) batteries to use
    > for these cameras?

    I believe the C-4000Z uses the same lens adapter tube as the C-4040Z, C-3040Z,
    C-3020Z, etc. (CLA-1?), and the C-720UZ uses the same lens adapter tube as the
    C-700UZ, C-730UZ, C-740UZ, and C-750UZ (CLA-4?). Note that 2x and higher
    telephoto lenses generally don't work on high zoom cameras like the C-720UZ.

    In terms of batteries, get a good fast charger in addition to getting good
    batteries. A good FAQ is at:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

    I myself use the Lightning Pack 4000N and Sanyo 2100 maH batteries I got from:

    http://www.ripvan100.com/

    I like the fact that there is no cord, and it fits nicely in my camera back.

    Another battery that people like is the external Digi-power DPS-9000 that
    Ritz/Wolf/etc. sells for $40:

    http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wc...1&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=9621132

    It attaches to your camera via the tripod screw underneath the camera base. It
    evidently has the side benefits that your camera doesn't go to sleep (because
    it thinks it is attached to an AC adapter) and the internal flash recharge time
    is much faster.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 18, 2003
  4. ConTactMe

    Tony Soprano Guest

    Mike Graham <> keeps busting my balls:

    > Several wide angle and telephoto attachments are available, and can be
    >found on the Olympus website. As to where to get them cheap.... no idea.

    EBAY

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=hotdigital

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=panwebi-auctions

    However, the telephoto lenses are limited in that you can only use them at
    full zoom, otherwise you get a black circle around the photo.

    I was seriously considering getting the zoom lens attachment for my C4000Z
    but today I went and bought a Fuji S5000 instead (10x zoom, $500) and will
    sell the 4000.

    I remember my father and my mother arguing about... something,
    I don't know. I remember her talking about my father's
    feeble-minded brother, but I thought she meant you !!!

    Tony Soprano, Aug 19, 2003
  5. ConTactMe

    Jimmy Guest

    "Tony Soprano" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Graham <> keeps busting my balls:

    > EBAY
    >
    > http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=hotdigital
    >
    > http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=panwebi-auctions
    >
    > However, the telephoto lenses are limited in that you can only use them at
    > full zoom, otherwise you get a black circle around the photo.

    A quick check of the digital lens on these links indicate they carry some of lenses to be avoided.
    Others in this thread have specifically mentioned avoiding Titanium and Crystal Optics for having
    poor quality. The Powersellers in your links carry these very same poor quality products. This is
    not to say that all of their merchandise is junk, but these lenses leave much to be desired.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30014&item=2945666710
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29994&item=2945635179

    Jimmy, Aug 19, 2003
  6. ConTactMe

    ConTactMe Guest

    Many thanks to all who responded. Great to see all the other Olympus fans.
    Thanks for the great links.

    I have not tried the Lithium batteries yet. Am just now trying the NiHM. I
    am definitely going to have to invest in a few sets. Also, I was not happy
    with the fact that the camera did NOT included a power cable. Oh, well, I'll
    have to start looking for more neat stuff on ebay :)

    Thanks again.

    ConTactMe, Aug 23, 2003
  7. "ConTactMe" <> writes:

    > Many thanks to all who responded. Great to see all the other Olympus fans.
    > Thanks for the great links.
    >
    > I have not tried the Lithium batteries yet. Am just now trying the NiHM. I
    > am definitely going to have to invest in a few sets. Also, I was not happy
    > with the fact that the camera did NOT included a power cable. Oh, well, I'll
    > have to start looking for more neat stuff on ebay :)

    How often do you photograph things in one location? Unless you are doing
    studio work, I can't really the need for an AC cord. If you have been shooting
    for an extended period of time and don't use a card reader, you might want to
    use a fresh set of batteries when you upload. But if you do need the cord,
    there are several manufacturers that make knock off adapters.

    Presumably Olympus has long fixed a bug that affected at least one of their
    earlier models (C-2100UZ) where if the power died while the camera was
    connected to the computer, the camera would seize up and have to be sent in for
    warranty repairs. Users dubbed it SDS (sudden death syndrome).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 23, 2003