    and why?

    thanks a lot
    Tom

    kyxx, Feb 15, 2005

  2. kyxx wrote:
    > hi, i'd like to buy a new digital camera after Canon A70.
    >
    > what do you prefer?

    What do you need to photograph, and why?

    Two suggestions from the higher end of the range (ZLR cameras):

    - wide angle, Nikon 8400, 24mm built-in, 18mm with accessory lens.

    - telephoto, Panasonic FZ20, 36mm - 432mm f/2.8 image stabilised lens

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2005

  3. kyxx

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    kyxx <> wrote:
    > hi, i'd like to buy a new digital camera after Canon A70.

    What do you want to do with it and what's important to you? It looks
    like you're after high pixel count (7-8Mpixels) and a moderate amount
    of zoom in which case you've chosen a good set of cameras there.

    > what do you prefer?
    >
    > Olumpus 8080
    > Nikon 8800
    > Canon Pro1
    > Canon G6

    On paper, the 8800 has almost everything anyone could want - 10x zoom
    *and* 8 megapixels *and* stabilisastion, but somewhere between the
    excellent 5700 and the rather flawed 8700 (suffered horribly from noise
    because it had an 8mp sensor in the same size as the 5700) something
    went wrong. I don't know what the 8800's noise behaviour is like, the
    reviews seem to suggest it's improved. I'd definitely go and try one.

    The Canon Pro-1 looks to be a damn good camera - just starting to be
    heavily discounted though I've not had a chance to play with one. The G6
    isn't as much of a step forward over the lovely G5 as I was hoping.

    The Oly 8080 has a pretty good lens (better wide-angle performance than
    most comparable cameras) as long as you don't want much zoom, and
    "feels nice", but it's not really my kind of camera - I need long zoom
    for most of the photography I do.

    You should also consider the Konica-Minolta A2 (or the slightly cheaper
    A200, but it looks like you lose a few too many nice A2 features on
    that) which has a similar feature set. I've seen what you can get out of
    the old Dimage 7i and the A1, and they're very nice pieces of kit that
    have fed into the A2's genes.

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 15, 2005
  4. kyxx

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    David J Taylor <> wrote:

    > - telephoto, Panasonic FZ20, 36mm - 432mm f/2.8 image stabilised lens

    All the cameras the OP mentioned were 7-8 megapixels, the FZ10/20 range
    is gorgeous (I own an FZ10), but lags slightly on the pixel count. Wonder
    what FZ30 will be? ;)

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 15, 2005
  5. kyxx

    TAFKAB Guest

    "kyxx" <> wrote in message
    > hi, i'd like to buy a new digital camera after Canon A70.
    >
    > what do you prefer?

    None of them...

    > Olumpus 8080

    Horrible zoom controls, slow and poor AF.

    > Nikon 8800

    Same bad controls and AF with lower picture quality than the Oly

    > Canon Pro1

    Worst AF and zooming controls of the bunch, despite the latest firmware fix

    > Canon G6

    Need accessory wide angles to shoot wide angle, and very slow AF; bad
    viewfinder.

    I picked the Sony 828 (yes, I know, not on the list), since the major "flaw"
    in this cam was PF in some situations. That, of course, is fixable in post
    processing, and the fix, when needed, takes about 10 seconds. So my decision
    was based upon the fact that the flaws present in the Nikon and Oly were
    unfixable, and therefore fatal, while the flaw in the Sony was easily
    fixable and of minimal importance. Additionally, the Sony has the best AF
    and zooming controls of the bunch. The KM A2 is also supposed to be very
    good, but I've never used one so I can't comment.

    TAFKAB, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Pete Fenelon wrote:
    > David J Taylor <> wrote:
    >>
    >> - telephoto, Panasonic FZ20, 36mm - 432mm f/2.8 image stabilised lens
    >>

    > All the cameras the OP mentioned were 7-8 megapixels, the FZ10/20
    > range is gorgeous (I own an FZ10), but lags slightly on the pixel
    > count. Wonder what FZ30 will be? ;)
    >
    > pete

    The FZ20 is 5MP, which is enough for good prints up to 10 x 8 inches. As
    you commented, if you go to 8MP you need to be careful about noise or be
    prepared to live with 50 ISO. The snag with enlarging the FZ20 to 8MP
    would be that the lens would either need to be bigger or to be compromised
    (aperture, zoom range), assuming that the sensor is made proportionately
    bigger. Perhaps the FZ30 will compromise on a 7MP sensor and just 10:1
    zoom?

    What improvements would you like to see in the FZ20?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2005
  7. kyxx

    Hornbill Guest

    Hi,

    I am looking hard at Sony 828. How long have you had it? And how do you find
    the "noise" in Sony 828 as many have complain about?

    Hornbill, Feb 15, 2005
  8. kyxx

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    David J Taylor <> wrote:
    > (aperture, zoom range), assuming that the sensor is made proportionately
    > bigger. Perhaps the FZ30 will compromise on a 7MP sensor and just 10:1
    > zoom?
    >
    > What improvements would you like to see in the FZ20?

    FZ-20 adds remote control which the FZ-10 lacks...

    For a putative FZ-30 I'd like to see zoom controlled by ring as well as
    the manual focus, but most importantly of all I think they should offer
    RAW output -- it's a little puzzling that FZ-10 doesn't have it, a LOT
    puzzling that FZ-20 doesn't, and if they're going to do an FZ-30 that
    aims at the same market sector, I think it's a must. 8mp (I think the
    market will demand that) and 35-350mm would certainly be adequate for most
    people and keeps up with Konica-Minolta and Canon so maybe losing just a
    little zoom would be OK. A more powerful built-in flash would be nice,
    the supplied one is nothing to write home about but I don't use flash
    enough to warrant buying an external one to fit on the hot shoe.

    A few minor tweaks to the menuing system, slightly faster scrolling
    around when you're viewing images on the SD card, a slightly quicker
    burst mode, but otherwise I think FZ-30 should be pretty much "more of
    the same".

    And a couple of minor things, a lens cap that's attached to the camera
    body by lanyard would be nice, and the crappy neck strap on the FZ-10 is
    one of the best adverts for Tamrac I've ever seen - I know it's overkill
    but my FZ10 now lives on a nice padded Tamrac strap.

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Pete Fenelon wrote:
    > David J Taylor <> wrote:

    []
    >> What improvements would you like to see in the FZ20?
    >>

    > FZ-20 adds remote control which the FZ-10 lacks...
    >
    > For a putative FZ-30 I'd like to see zoom controlled by ring as well
    > as the manual focus, but most importantly of all I think they should
    > offer RAW output -- it's a little puzzling that FZ-10 doesn't have
    > it, a LOT puzzling that FZ-20 doesn't, and if they're going to do an
    > FZ-30 that aims at the same market sector, I think it's a must.

    Interestingly, I have found JPEG output adequate, and I'm not sure I have
    the patience or memory card space for RAW...

    > 8mp
    > (I think the market will demand that) and 35-350mm would certainly be
    > adequate for most people and keeps up with Konica-Minolta and Canon
    > so maybe losing just a little zoom would be OK. A more powerful
    > built-in flash would be nice, the supplied one is nothing to write
    > home about but I don't use flash enough to warrant buying an external
    > one to fit on the hot shoe.

    I must confess I would rather see a larger 5MP sensor, but I think you're
    right about the market!

    > A few minor tweaks to the menuing system, slightly faster scrolling
    > around when you're viewing images on the SD card, a slightly quicker
    > burst mode, but otherwise I think FZ-30 should be pretty much "more of
    > the same".

    Yes!

    > And a couple of minor things, a lens cap that's attached to the camera
    > body by lanyard would be nice, and the crappy neck strap on the FZ-10
    > is one of the best adverts for Tamrac I've ever seen - I know it's
    > overkill but my FZ10 now lives on a nice padded Tamrac strap.
    >
    > pete

    Oh, well. You have to give the add-on manufacturers chance to supply
    /something/!

    <G>

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2005
  10. kyxx

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <6QmQd.33782$>, kyxx says...
    > hi, i'd like to buy a new digital camera after Canon A70.
    >
    > what do you prefer?
    >
    > Olumpus 8080
    > Nikon 8800
    > Canon Pro1
    > Canon G6

    I'm getting good results with an Olympus 8080:

    http://www.molon.de/galleries/China/
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Singapore/
    http://www.molon.de/galleries/Malaysia/Cameron/
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 15, 2005
  11. kyxx

    TAFKAB Guest

    "Hornbill" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking hard at Sony 828. How long have you had it? And how do you
    > find
    > the "noise" in Sony 828 as many have complain about?

    I love the 828! PF can be an issue in about 5% of the shots, and it's worst
    at the wide end at wide open apertures. Most of the time, you never see it.
    But there's a PS action that totally removes it in about 10 seconds, so I
    don't care. Noise is excellent at 64, very good at 100, still pretty good at
    200, but 400 can get ugly and 800 IS ugly. Here's a sample of a shot at 400:

    http://home.comcast.net/~xelbon/sb-06.jpg

    This is just a 1024 x 768 pix downsample of the original. If you want a link
    to the original, straight from the camera, let me know. The noise is high at
    400 but it certainly does not render the camera useless at that speed. Neat
    Image works wonders, and when used properly will not wipe out the detail.
    With Neat Image, you can get usable shots at ISO 800, but only in a pinch.
    The good news is that the lens is fast (2.0/2.8) so you rarely need 800.
    Keep in mind that the noise in the Sony, while not bad, is not in the same
    class as the Canon 20D, and never will be. If you need noise levels that
    low, get the 20D.

    I've had the camera about 10 months, and it's my most used camera.
    Absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

    TAFKAB, Feb 15, 2005
  12. kyxx

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    David J Taylor <> wrote:
    > Pete Fenelon wrote:
    >> David J Taylor <> wrote:

    > []
    >>> What improvements would you like to see in the FZ20?
    >>>

    >> FZ-20 adds remote control which the FZ-10 lacks...
    >>
    >> For a putative FZ-30 I'd like to see zoom controlled by ring as well
    >> as the manual focus, but most importantly of all I think they should
    >> offer RAW output -- it's a little puzzling that FZ-10 doesn't have
    >> it, a LOT puzzling that FZ-20 doesn't, and if they're going to do an
    >> FZ-30 that aims at the same market sector, I think it's a must.

    > Interestingly, I have found JPEG output adequate, and I'm not sure I have
    > the patience or memory card space for RAW...

    I've got a few shots with visible (minor, but definitely present) JPEG
    artefacts in them; nothing I can't mitigate down to the level of very
    minor irritant with Photoshop but it'd be nice to have the option of not
    letting them get there in the first place!

    Even my old Casio QV2800 (an underrated little camera; I've always been
    a zoom fan ;)) could shoot lossless TIFFs.

    I admit that a lot of the time it's overkill, but occasionally you want
    to pay the premium to get the crispest possible shot.

    > I must confess I would rather see a larger 5MP sensor, but I think you're
    > right about the market!

    From what I've seen of the FZ-20's output its noise behaviour isn't
    significantly worse than the FZ-10 which is about average for 4mp
    cameras. I agree that going to 8mp in this space might make a pig's ear
    of it - think Nikon 5700 vs 8700, where anything over 100ISO was horrific
    on the 8Mp jobbie.

    > Oh, well. You have to give the add-on manufacturers chance to supply
    > /something/!
    >
    > <G>

    Mmmm. The Raynox wide-angle and telephoto add-on lenses would both be
    useful for a project I've recently started on ;)

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 15, 2005
  13. In article <>, says...
    > David J Taylor <> wrote:
    > >
    > > - telephoto, Panasonic FZ20, 36mm - 432mm f/2.8 image stabilised lens
    > >

    > All the cameras the OP mentioned were 7-8 megapixels, the FZ10/20 range
    > is gorgeous (I own an FZ10), but lags slightly on the pixel count. Wonder
    > what FZ30 will be? ;)

    Expensive ;)

    --
    Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
    -- Elbert Hubbard

    Dalibor Bauernfrajnd, Feb 15, 2005
  14. kyxx

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "kyxx" <> wrote in message
    > hi, i'd like to buy a new digital camera after Canon A70.
    >
    > what do you prefer?
    >
    > Olumpus 8080

    I ruled this one out because of limited tele, zoom controls, and size.

    > Nikon 8800

    No 28mm wide angle.

    > Canon G6

    Too limited at both tele and wide.

    And although you didn't ask, I ruled out the Sony 828 because of the size
    alone the Minolta 8MP models due to image quality and quality-control
    concerns.

    > Canon Pro1

    This is the one I went with -- very compact (though not light), solidly
    built, I like the 28-200 range, and the image quality is
    excellent--particularly for outdoor photography (which is what I do most of
    the time). Excellent raw performance, too. And a fast lens. And the
    flip/swivel LCD is great. The firmware update made a big difference with
    the AF speed as well. That was never a big problem for me, but the
    improvement is noticeable.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Feb 16, 2005
  15. kyxx

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Mark Weaver says...

    > > Canon Pro1
    > >

    > This is the one I went with -- very compact (though not light), solidly
    > built, I like the 28-200 range, and the image quality is
    > excellent--particularly for outdoor photography (which is what I do most of
    > the time). Excellent raw performance, too. And a fast lens. And the
    > flip/swivel LCD is great. The firmware update made a big difference with
    > the AF speed as well. That was never a big problem for me, but the
    > improvement is noticeable.

    I ruled the Pro 1 out, because reviews show that the lens is poorly
    designed (vignetting). But the other features and the compact size are
    nice.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 16, 2005
  16. kyxx

    Mark Weaver Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message

    > I ruled the Pro 1 out, because reviews show that the lens is poorly
    > designed (vignetting). But the other features and the compact size are
    > nice.

    Yeah, I have seen vignetting on a small fraction of my shots, but even then
    it hasn't been difficult to fix in post processing, so it really hasn't
    bothered me.

    Mark

    Mark Weaver, Feb 16, 2005