    someone Guest

    owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    someone, Dec 26, 2003

  2. someone

    Alan D-W Guest

    "someone" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    > ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    Owner of the camera but not, apparently, the manual?
    Max ISO = 400.
    Max RAW ISO = 400
    Alan.

    Alan D-W, Dec 26, 2003

  3. someone

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (someone) wrote:

    >owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    >ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    I think noise reduction programs might refer to enhanced sensitivity,
    and maybe the Oly Camedia software (which I've basically never used)
    talks about 6400 ISO. I don't know. But in the camera, you get 100,
    200, and 400. And 400 can get real noisy. Noise Ninja, Neat Image,
    Quantuum Mechanic Pro, and others can deal with that. But it might not
    be automatic. The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
    It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
    7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
    and blue for each pixel. But it bypasses all the firmware sharpening
    in the camera. And that's, in the Oly case, what can really introduce
    noise. But you can find noise in the RAW, too, when you start working
    on it, particularly at 400 ISO. But you're in control of it, don't
    have to exaggerate its appearance, and can try to remove it.

    If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
    consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
    and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
    of a 5050. So, see if the RAW is suitable, with a little noise
    reduction and selective dodging and burning, as it were, in PS.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 26, 2003
  4. > The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
    > It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
    > 7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
    > and blue for each pixel.

    Only if it was 8 bits, would 5MP => 5MB. I thought that RAW offered a
    greater bit depth, and that was its main advantage?

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 26, 2003
  5. someone

    Matti Vuori Guest

    Mark Johnson <> wrote in
    > It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
    > 7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
    > and blue for each pixel.

    No. It's because the RAW file has 12 bits per pixel, which has nothing to
    do with the sensor layout.

    > If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
    > consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
    > and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
    > of a 5050.

    I don't know about your street, but Canon D300/Digital Rebel with a lens
    seems to cost "only" twice the 5050.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Dec 26, 2003
  6. someone

    someone Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:27:52 -0000, "Alan D-W" <>
    posted:

    >"someone" <> wrote in message
    >> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    >> ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    >Owner of the camera but not, apparently, the manual?
    >Max ISO = 400.
    >Max RAW ISO = 400
    >Alan.

    I don't have the 5050, which is why I'm asking. I do have the s602z, f717
    and a203 in use.

    someone, Dec 26, 2003
  7. someone

    someone Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:27:10 -0800, Mark Johnson <>
    posted:

    > (someone) wrote:
    >
    >>owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    >>ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    >I think noise reduction programs might refer to enhanced sensitivity,
    >and maybe the Oly Camedia software (which I've basically never used)
    >talks about 6400 ISO. I don't know. But in the camera, you get 100,
    >200, and 400. And 400 can get real noisy. Noise Ninja, Neat Image,
    >Quantuum Mechanic Pro, and others can deal with that. But it might not
    >be automatic. The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
    >It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
    >7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
    >and blue for each pixel. But it bypasses all the firmware sharpening
    >in the camera. And that's, in the Oly case, what can really introduce
    >noise. But you can find noise in the RAW, too, when you start working
    >on it, particularly at 400 ISO. But you're in control of it, don't
    >have to exaggerate its appearance, and can try to remove it.

    so it is a software function only? not true iso 6400. very disappointing.

    >If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
    >consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
    >and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
    >of a 5050. So, see if the RAW is suitable, with a little noise
    >reduction and selective dodging and burning, as it were, in PS.

    I am. saving up for a d100 now. the only other iso 6400 camera seems to be
    the d2h, which is way above my budget.

    someone, Dec 26, 2003
  8. someone

    JK Guest

    The Digital Rebel is under $1000 with a lens. I doubt that you could
    buy a new C5050 with USA warranty for under $500.

    JK, Dec 26, 2003
  9. In article <>,
    (someone) wrote:

    > owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
    > ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

    Shooting in manual and RAW mode I did some tests.

    Here is a shot at ISO 3200
    http://tinyurl.com/vlud

    and one at ISO 12,800
    http://tinyurl.com/vluj

    I was seeing just how far it would go. I didn't resize and compile one
    for 6400, but it looked like one between the two I showed.

    I converted them to grayscale because the colors were really messed up
    and I'm not good enough at judging colors to fix them.
    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 26, 2003
  10. someone

    Travis Guest

    someone wrote:
    > owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I
    > heard it does ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that
    > setting?

    How did you get the camera without the manual?

    Travis, Dec 26, 2003
  11. someone

    someone Guest

    On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:55:46 GMT, "Travis"
    <> posted:

    >someone wrote:
    >> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I
    >> heard it does ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that
    >> setting?

    >How did you get the camera without the manual?

    I was asking the owner of 5050. I don't have it. I have s602z, f717 and
    a203, if you want to ask questions about those cameras.

    someone, Dec 27, 2003