    I have just got this camera and find it heavy on batteries 20 shots to a
    pair of 180mAh batteries is this normal?.
    Thanks Kevin.
    mopy, Sep 8, 2003

  2. mopy

    Paul Heslop Guest

    mopy wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have just got this camera and find it heavy on batteries 20 shots to a
    > pair of 180mAh batteries is this normal?.
    > Thanks Kevin.

    are they Nicad? It seems most recommend Nimh. I get hundreds of pictures
    with two nimh batteries in my Oly.
    --
    Paul. (I wish I had the wings to fly away from here)
    Not what it seems...
    Paul Heslop, Sep 9, 2003

  3. "mopy" <> writes:

    > Hi
    > I have just got this camera and find it heavy on batteries 20 shots to a
    > pair of 180mAh batteries is this normal?.

    Are these batteries non-rechargable alkaline or rechargable Nimh (nickle-metal
    hydroxide)? If they are alkalines, that is about normal, since digital cameras
    aren't made for alkaline batteries voltage dropping as the charge level drops
    (Nimh batteries keep a much higher charge until they are nearly empty). I
    suspect if you put the alkalines into something that doesn't draw as much juice
    as a digital camera, you will see that the batteries weren't completely
    drained.

    What you need to do is get a microprocessor controlled charger and 1 or more
    sets of Nimh batteries. I myself use 6 sets (I rotate 3 sets through the
    camera, and 3 sets through my external flash, and typically only need 2 sets in
    a full day's worth of shooting my Olympus C-2100UZ).

    Here are some FAQs about Nimh batteries:

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-educate-batteries.htm
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

    I bought my current charger and batteries from:

    http://www.ripvan100.com/

    Here is another place that has a charger that people like:

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/

    Walmart sells the Rayovac charger, which gets the batteries hot, but does
    charge them fast (and the new 15 minute charger), as well as rechargable
    batteries. Target may sell it too. Note, most electronics stores tend to jack
    up the prices on the chargers and batteries.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Sep 9, 2003