    reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.

    Anyone know what gives?

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Paul D. Sullivan

    R2D2 Guest

    > Anyone know what gives?
    >
    > Thanks

    They want to make more money by selling you batteries instead of asking for
    a higher price for the camera.

    R2D2, Dec 13, 2003

  3. "Paul D. Sullivan" wrote:

    > The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
    >
    > Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
    > uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
    > rechargeables?
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
    > reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
    >
    > Anyone know what gives?
    >
    > Thanks

    It's all about money!
    Just be glad they didn't force you into xD-only memory, like they did to
    C-50 and C5000 owners
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Dec 13, 2003
  4. I'm so glad I bought the C5050 - it really is a great camera.

    I would never have gotten the C5060 - not at all.

    It is such a versatile, complete camera. I have a 512 CF card
    and will maybe get a 512 xD when prices drop, to supplement
    the CF.

    I am glad I learned so much about the camera here before I bought
    it. You guys were totally helpful when I was learning about what
    camera to get. I'm still grateful for all the help, because as I
    use the Oly C5050 more and more, thousands of pics by now, I
    continue to appreciate what a great camera it really is.

    Paul D. Sullivan, Dec 13, 2003
  5. Bummer man, mega bummer.

    Thanks

    Paul D. Sullivan, Dec 13, 2003
  6. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mike Hill Guest

    On 13 Dec 2003 07:50:31 GMT, R2D2 <> wrote:

    >> Anyone know what gives?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >They want to make more money by selling you batteries instead of asking for
    >a higher price for the camera.

    You really should read the specs on the battery though. It is a
    particulary brilliant one :)
    Mike.
    --

    '02 GSF1200 in silver
    Email address spamtrapped.

    Mike Hill, Dec 13, 2003
  7. Paul D. Sullivan

    Matti Vuori Guest

    "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote in
    > The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
    >
    > Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement

    But isn't.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

    Matti Vuori, Dec 13, 2003
  8. Paul D. Sullivan

    Patrick Boch Guest

    Certainly agree.. Facts are...Most of us have a ton of NIMH......

    --
    __________________________
    Patrick George Boch

    Patrick Boch, Dec 13, 2003
  9. Paul D. Sullivan

    PhotoMan Guest

    > The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
    >
    > Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
    > uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
    > rechargeables?
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    >
    > This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
    > reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
    >
    > Anyone know what gives?

    Ever hear of a captive customer?
    Joe Arnold

    PhotoMan, Dec 13, 2003
  10. Paul D. Sullivan

    peter Guest

    perhaps to make the camera appear smaller or lighter?

    peter, Dec 13, 2003
  11. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote:

    >The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
    >
    >Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
    >uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
    >rechargeables?
    >
    >Am I missing something?
    >
    >This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
    >reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
    >
    >Anyone know what gives?

    Why not ask why they gave you a darker lens than with the C5050?

    Mark Johnson, Dec 13, 2003
  12. Paul D. Sullivan

    Ron Hunter Guest

    PhotoMan wrote:

    > "Paul D. Sullivan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The C5050 is like nearly the PERFECT camera!
    >>
    >>Why would they issue one that appears to be a replacement that
    >>uses PROPRIETARY batteries instead of the awesome AA
    >>rechargeables?
    >>
    >>Am I missing something?
    >>
    >>This was one of the best things about the C5050 and one of the
    >>reasons I bought it. I can't believe that they have done this.
    >>
    >>Anyone know what gives?

    > Ever hear of a captive customer?
    > Joe Arnold

    Weight, size, and number of shots/charge are three reasons. I still
    prefer the NIMH AA, though.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 13, 2003
  13. Paul D. Sullivan

    JK Guest

    The C5060 looks like a bad mistake on the part of Olympus.
    Many liked Olympus digital cameras for the fast lenses
    and use of AA batteries. Now that the C5060 has neither
    and is high priced. A Canon G5, or Fuji S7000 at around
    the same price or less than the C5060 seem much more
    attractive. The G5 has an f2-3 zoom lens that is 4x, while
    the S7000 has a 6x zoom that is f2.8-f3.1, uses AA batteries,
    and is 6.3 megapixels. Imo the C5060 is worth under $400
    due to its slow lens(f4.8 at max telephoto. UGH!!!!) If someone
    doesn't mind a slow lens,there are other much smaller cameras
    available from Sony and Canon.

    JK, Dec 13, 2003
  14. In article <>, JK <>
    wrote:

    > The C5060 looks like a bad mistake on the part of Olympus.
    > Many liked Olympus digital cameras for the fast lenses
    > and use of AA batteries.

    I agree. I'm glad I bought a 5 year warranty for my 5050 because I sure
    wouldn't want a 5060.

    Aside from the batteries and slow lens, from what I gather, my B-28 and
    B-300 would be unusable on it due to the new bayonet mount. They're the
    same lenses I bought for my 2020 more than 3 years ago.

    Another point about the batteries. I use several external flashes. It's
    really nice to use the same batteries for everything.
    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie Dilks, Dec 13, 2003
  15. Paul D. Sullivan

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > The C5060 looks like a bad mistake on the part of Olympus.
    > Many liked Olympus digital cameras for the fast lenses
    > and use of AA batteries. Now that the C5060 has neither
    > and is high priced. A Canon G5, or Fuji S7000 at around
    > the same price or less than the C5060 seem much more
    > attractive. The G5 has an f2-3 zoom lens that is 4x, while
    > the S7000 has a 6x zoom that is f2.8-f3.1, uses AA batteries,
    > and is 6.3 megapixels. Imo the C5060 is worth under $400
    > due to its slow lens(f4.8 at max telephoto. UGH!!!!) If someone
    > doesn't mind a slow lens,there are other much smaller cameras
    > available from Sony and Canon.

    The problem is that the G5 has a plastic body which feels like a toy.
    Horrible tiny keys and it is square like a brick. At least the 5060 has
    an ergonomic high quality metal body with good keys.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Dec 13, 2003
  16. Paul D. Sullivan

    Double D Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Why not ask why they gave you a darker lens than with the C5050?

    Ummmm, so they could go a little wider and not jack up the price too
    much?

    DD

    Double D, Dec 14, 2003
  17. Paul D. Sullivan

    stacey Guest

    Mark Johnson wrote:

    > Why not ask why they gave you a darker lens than with the C5050?

    It's also wider which is why it's slower.

    --

    Stacey

    stacey, Dec 14, 2003
  18. Paul D. Sullivan

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>, Mark Johnson
    <> writes:

    >Why not ask why they gave you a darker lens than with the C5050?

    You've said this several times, and what you really need to be
    saying instead is that the 5060 has a SLOWER lens than the
    5050. (or the 4040 for that matter) The 5050 has a FASTER lens.

    Darker = slower
    Lighter = faster

    Understand now ??

    Azzz1588, Dec 14, 2003
  19. Paul D. Sullivan

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (Azzz1588) wrote:

    >In article <>, Mark Johnson
    ><> writes:

    >>Why not ask why they gave you a darker lens than with the C5050?

    >Darker = slower
    >Lighter = faster

    The 5060 has a darker lens than the 5050. Just look at the specs. See
    for yourself.

    Mark Johnson, Dec 14, 2003
  20. Paul D. Sullivan

    gr Guest

    "stacey" <> wrote

    > > The 5060 has a darker lens than the 5050. Just look at the specs. See
    > > for yourself.

    > And a wider lens, hence it's slower speed. The 5050 was 35-105 range equiv
    > #X zoom while the 5060 is 27-110 range 4X zoom. I'll give up a stop of
    > light to gain that much wider FOV on the wide end.

    It really depends on what you use it for. If it's mainly for outdoor
    landscape pictures, I think I'd pick the C5060 too. But I use my C5050 quite
    a bit for night shots, indoors, and creatively where I want a shallow depth
    of field. I think the C5050's bright lens make it a more flexible camera
    than the C5060. But, yeah, having a 27mm wide angle (without needing an
    adapter) would certainly be nice.

    The proprietary battery of the C5060 is a deal-killer for me, though.

    gr, Dec 14, 2003