Oly c-700 tele lens? 37mm? 55mm? Tiffen or Bower?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alex Ferguson, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. Hi all,

    I have a c-700 that I'm very happy with, but recently I found out that
    there are adapters that allow the use of lenses on it - which is nice.
    Problem is, that I don't know much about lenses - other than what
    their purpose is - I was hoping for some info/tips from the experts!

    Anyway, I'm primarily looking at two options...

    1) a Bower 2x lens with 37mm rear and 46mm front threads. It comes
    with an adapter that goes from the 46.5mm camera threads to 37mm front
    threads. I can get this for around $50 or so.

    2) the standard tube adapter for this camera (CLA-4) is a 46.5mm to
    55mm adapter. If I go with this adapter, I suppose I'd need to find a
    55mm 2x lens for it.

    My questions are...

    1. Will the addition of a 2x lens noticably degrade my picture
    quality? My feelings of this camera is that it has awesome image
    quality in bright, outdoor sunlight and kinda-ok quality indoors or
    with low light. I typically don't zoom much indoors because it seems
    to make the pics worse.

    2. Would I be better off going with the Bower package that includes
    the 37mm 2x lens, or would the standard cla4 (55mm) adapter allow me
    to use better 2x lenses - would the 55mm gather more light that the
    37mm?

    3. Is the Bower 2x lens any good? Would I be better off getting
    another brand - a tiffen or something?

    I do realize that if I zoom back too much with the lens on, it will
    show the lens in the pic, so that's not a problem. I've also read
    about the shaking problems when zoomed all the way out - I read up on
    that regarding the non-stabilized 10x before I bought it, but to be
    honest - I've not run into it much. Maybe it's because I only zoom
    that far in bright sunlight?

    Thanks!

    Alex Ferguson, Feb 9, 2004

  2. Alex Ferguson wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >

    > My questions are...
    >
    > 1. Will the addition of a 2x lens noticably degrade my picture
    > quality? My feelings of this camera is that it has awesome image
    > quality in bright, outdoor sunlight and kinda-ok quality indoors or
    > with low light. I typically don't zoom much indoors because it seems
    > to make the pics worse.

    I have a C-700, and personally I have only used it at max zoom a couple
    of times. You might want to start by asking yourself if you really need and
    will use the extra zoom.

    As for quality of the results, I can't say much about that particular
    lens combination, but my experience in the past with that kind of lens would
    lead me to believe you can crop-zoom and do about as well.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 9, 2004

  3. From article <vfUVb.24297$>, by "Joseph Meehan" <>:
    > Alex Ferguson wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>

    >> My questions are...
    >>
    >> 1. Will the addition of a 2x lens noticably degrade my picture
    >> quality? My feelings of this camera is that it has awesome image
    >> quality in bright, outdoor sunlight and kinda-ok quality indoors or
    >> with low light. I typically don't zoom much indoors because it seems
    >> to make the pics worse.
    >>

    > I have a C-700, and personally I have only used it at max zoom a couple
    > of times. You might want to start by asking yourself if you really need and
    > will use the extra zoom.
    >
    > As for quality of the results, I can't say much about that particular
    > lens combination, but my experience in the past with that kind of lens would
    > lead me to believe you can crop-zoom and do about as well.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph E. Meehan
    >
    > 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Hey, can either of you guys or someone else tell me if the c720 has manual
    focus capability? I have seen conflicting into on web sites for specs for
    the camera.

    Dave Rasmussen, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Dave Rasmussen wrote:
    > From article <vfUVb.24297$>, by "Joseph
    >
    > Hey, can either of you guys or someone else tell me if the c720 has
    > manual
    > focus capability? I have seen conflicting into on web sites for specs
    > for
    > the camera.

    I can't help you with the 720, I have the 700.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Alex Ferguson

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Joseph Meehan wrote:
    > Dave Rasmussen wrote:
    >
    >>From article <vfUVb.24297$>, by "Joseph
    >>
    >>Hey, can either of you guys or someone else tell me if the c720 has
    >>manual
    >>focus capability? I have seen conflicting into on web sites for specs
    >>for
    >>the camera.

    > I can't help you with the 720, I have the 700.

    He could go to Olympus site and download the manual
    to find out for sure

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Feb 11, 2004