OLY C-5050 charger question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan D., Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Alan D.

    Alan D. Guest

    Hello everyone,
    Recently I became a very happy owner of this great little camera. It came
    with the Camedia charger and four 1700 mAh AA batteries. Right away I went
    to Walmart and also purchased couple sets of 2100 mAh (Energizer) batteries
    with a charger (they were dirt cheap - 15CDN, so around 11.5 USD for a
    4-pack) as a backup. My question is following:
    - there's a warning on the Camedia charger stating that no other types of
    batteries, than the ones that came with it (so the Olympus 1700's), should
    be used in with charger. Since I'm getting ready for my trip to Africa, and
    the Olympus charger takes 110-240V @ 50-60Hz, I'd be able to use it abroad
    as well. However, would it be safe to actually charge the Energizer 2100 mAh
    batteries in it as well? Before I try doing this, I thought I'd check with
    experts in this group.

    I'd really greatly appreciate any info on the above. Thank you all in
    advance.

    Best regards,

    Alan D.
    Alan D., Feb 5, 2004

  2. "Alan D." <> writes:

    > Hello everyone,
    > Recently I became a very happy owner of this great little camera. It came
    > with the Camedia charger and four 1700 mAh AA batteries. Right away I went
    > to Walmart and also purchased couple sets of 2100 mAh (Energizer) batteries
    > with a charger (they were dirt cheap - 15CDN, so around 11.5 USD for a
    > 4-pack) as a backup. My question is following:
    > - there's a warning on the Camedia charger stating that no other types of
    > batteries, than the ones that came with it (so the Olympus 1700's), should
    > be used in with charger. Since I'm getting ready for my trip to Africa, and
    > the Olympus charger takes 110-240V @ 50-60Hz, I'd be able to use it abroad
    > as well. However, would it be safe to actually charge the Energizer 2100 mAh
    > batteries in it as well? Before I try doing this, I thought I'd check with
    > experts in this group.
    >
    > I'd really greatly appreciate any info on the above. Thank you all in
    > advance.

    Yes, you can charge just about any of the Nimh AA batteries with it. It won't
    charge other types of batteries, such as the older Nicd, or the Rayovac 15
    minute rechargable batteries (I forget what the chemistry is for those). Note,
    I believe the charger Olympus put with the C-5050Z is an overnight charger.
    You might want to consider a faster charger, in case you need to charge more
    than one set of batteries at a time. You might want to check out the Maha and
    Lightning Pack 4000N chargers from:

    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/
    http://www.ripvan100.com/

    I use the Lightning Pack 4000N, and like it due to its small size (no cord for
    US plugs, just a simple adaptor for other plugs, and can be used in world wide
    voltages). The two downsides of the 4000N is it charges batteries in pairs
    (which means if you have one battery with a partial charge, it might not charge
    the other battery in the pair fully), and AAA batteries don't quite fit in the
    charger, though it is claimed they do.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Alan D.

    Craig Bailey Guest

    You don't say what the type of batteries they are.
    Are they NiCad, NiMH, or those strange rechargeable alkaline types.

    I'll guess that they're NiMH types ...if so then you'll have to check out 2
    things with your Camedia charger - the charge rate (milliamps) and the
    charge time (if it's an intelligent charger.)

    Most good quality chargers use 2 systems to charge batteries:

    The primary system uses a voltage curve to charge the batteries - as the
    battery is charging the terminal voltage is slowly increasing until the
    battery reaches a "charged" state, then the terminal voltage levels out at a
    "knee" point. The chargers sense this point and either switch off or switch
    over to a trickle charge mode. A trickle mode is better, as it conditions
    the battery. (And keeps it topped up if you forget about it and leave it in
    the charger for a few days/weeks)

    If there is a problem with the battery, or the charger cannot sense the end
    point, then a timer circuit is employed as a backup. This stops the charger
    bashing the hell out of your battery indefinitely trying to charge it and
    thus causing damage to the battery. Obviously the higher capacity batteries
    are going to take longer to charge and this can run into problems if the
    timer expires before the battery is fully charged - you'll never get full
    use of the capacity of your battery.

    Note also that NiCad batteries typically take a lower charge current than
    NiMH batteries. So charging NiCads in a charger manufactured for high
    current charging of NiMH batteries will cook the NiCads and reduce their
    life a lot.
    If you supply a NiCad battery with a high current, you'll make it all hot
    and bothered (and batteries DON'T like being hot). That's why expensive
    chargers have a temperature sensing circuit in them too to shut down if the
    battery gets too hot while charging.

    hope that bit of info helps.
    Clear as mud for you now, is it?
    cheers, Craig.

    Craig Bailey, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Alan D.

    Alan D. Guest

    Thanks for the info guys. Actually that's what I was wondering about... I'm
    not sure if the Camedia charger is timer based (takes 9 hours for the
    included 1700 mAh's), does it actually use the voltage curve method, or any
    other method (can someone confirm this?). I was a bit worried, that if it in
    fact IS timer based, than obviously the 2100 mAh batteries won't get fully
    charged within the 9hours that it takes for th 1700's to charge. In any
    case, I'll stick with it, and the fact that it's overnight charger doesn't
    bother me at all. I'll just use the Energizer 4-pack once the Camedia
    batteries are dead, and will charge the latter ones overnight to have them
    ready for the next day. And so on... =) So of only someone could clarify the
    "timer / non timer" method of charging with Camedia charger, I'd really
    greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all the info so far guys.

    Best regards,

    Alan D.

    Alan D., Feb 5, 2004
  5. Alan D.

    gr Guest

    "Alan D." <> wrote
    > Thanks for the info guys. Actually that's what I was wondering about...

    I'm
    > not sure if the Camedia charger is timer based (takes 9 hours for the
    > included 1700 mAh's), does it actually use the voltage curve method, or

    any
    > other method (can someone confirm this?).

    Yes, the C-5050 charger is just a dumb timer charger. It charges for 9 hours
    then turns off. It's timed so that it will charge 1700mAh batteries in that
    9 hours, presuming they're fully discharged at the start. Since the charge
    power is fairly small, it won't hurt the batteries very much if they're not
    fully discharged at the start.

    If you charge 2100mAh batteries, you'll have to charge them twice. Well,
    actually just another couple of hours after the first 9 hour charge. That's
    assuming they're fully discharged at the start, of course.
    gr, Feb 6, 2004