    n_o_s_p_a__m Guest

    Hey folks, I have a ton of shots of people closing their eyes from the
    flash on my c-4000. Can this be flash be toned down a bit?

    n_o_s_p_a__m, Nov 13, 2003

  2. n_o_s_p_a__m

    George Guest

    You can always put a neutral density gel filter over it. A couple
    manufacturers are Rosco & Lee.

    George, Nov 13, 2003

  3. n_o_s_p_a__m

    Jimmy Guest

    "n_o_s_p_a__m" <> wrote in message
    > Hey folks, I have a ton of shots of people closing their eyes from the
    > flash on my c-4000. Can this be flash be toned down a bit?

    There may be a couple of reasons people are closing their eyes. If you have red eye reduction ON,
    the camera sends out up to 10 pre-flashes prior to the main flash firing. These pre-flashes often
    times are too intense so folks close their eyes. There is no adjustment on this, its either ON or
    OFF. The downside may be more red-eye, but more eyes will be open. You might try for more candid
    shots so people are not looking directly towards the camera and have less tendency to close their
    eyes.

    Another possibility would be to adjust the main flash intensity down a bit. Normally, this shows up
    as blown out highlights, but you can adjust the Flash Intensity down a bit to see if it helps with
    the closed eye problem. You can review how to do these on pg 75 and 82 of your manual.

    Jimmy, Nov 13, 2003
  4. n_o_s_p_a__m

    jam Guest

    Short-term solutions: Adjust your exposure compensation (EC) downward
    (say, to -1.0) to reduce flash intensity on Oly rangefinders. (Works
    on my C-2020Z.) Warn your subjects if possible. Avoid the red-eye
    flash mode.

    Long-term solution: Make the move to external bounced flash. You won't
    regret it.

    www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/c-2000z/flash/
    --
    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO

    jam, Nov 13, 2003
  5. In article <>,
    (n_o_s_p_a__m) wrote:

    > Hey folks, I have a ton of shots of people closing their eyes from the
    > flash on my c-4000. Can this be flash be toned down a bit?

    The metering pre-flash is what causes the blinking and squinting just in
    time for the real photo flash. Unfortunately, the Olys are very slow at
    focusing and metering. You can try deflecting it upwards but people may
    still blink.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Nov 13, 2003
  6. n_o_s_p_a__m

    Natatack Guest

    How about a piece of tissue or white paper taped over the flash,cheaper than
    gel filters

    Natatack, Nov 13, 2003
  7. n_o_s_p_a__m

    George Guest

    Gels are about $5.60 for a 24" x 24" sheet...that's expensive? And you can
    use the gels in 3" x 3" or 4" x 4" holders over your 35mm, digital, medium
    format, etc lenses.

    George, Nov 13, 2003
  8. n_o_s_p_a__m

    n_o_s_p_a__m Guest

    Hi all,

    I wasn't using the red-eye reduction mode, just normal flash.

    75 and 82 of my manual are in French. I can't find any section on
    flash intensity adjustment in the manual for the c-4000 zoom.

    The cheapest ND gel filters I could find at bh photo were Normal brand
    for $19.95. Where can I find the $5.60 ones?

    Thanks again.

    -KJ

    n_o_s_p_a__m, Nov 17, 2003
  9. n_o_s_p_a__m

    Jimmy Guest

    "n_o_s_p_a__m" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I wasn't using the red-eye reduction mode, just normal flash.
    >
    > 75 and 82 of my manual are in French. I can't find any section on
    > flash intensity adjustment in the manual for the c-4000 zoom.

    I think you need to look on your installation CD and locate the 245 page Reference manual. I went
    to Olympus USA and found the all English manual. You are looking at the Basic manual that comes
    printed in about 4 languages. The PDF reference manual is much more extensive.

    Jimmy, Nov 17, 2003
  10. n_o_s_p_a__m

    jam Guest

    Jimmy,

    | I think you need to look on your installation CD and locate the 245
    page Reference manual. I went
    | to Olympus USA and found the all English manual. You are looking at
    the Basic manual that comes
    | printed in about 4 languages. The PDF reference manual is much more
    extensive.

    Now =that's= a pearl. Many of us have advised posters to RTFM like we
    did, and many of the posters have come back complaining that the
    information they sought just wasn't there. Now we can point them to
    the =real= manual.
    --
    Jeremy McCreary
    Denver, CO

    jam, Nov 17, 2003
  11. n_o_s_p_a__m

    Jimmy Guest

    "jam" <> wrote in message news:498ub.173438$9E1.894228@attbi_s52...
    > Now =that's= a pearl. Many of us have advised posters to RTFM like we
    > did, and many of the posters have come back complaining that the
    > information they sought just wasn't there. Now we can point them to
    > the =real= manual.
    > --
    > Jeremy McCreary
    > Denver, CO
    > www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/

    Olympus includes a printed shortened Basic Manual in multi-languages to get the users up and going
    quickly. The greatest problem is Oly doesn't clearly indicate an extended Reference Manual PDF is
    on the installation disk. I found a notice on Pg 2 of the Basic Manual indicating, "These
    instructions are only for quick reference. For more details on the functions described here, refer
    to the "Reference Manual" on CD-ROM." Type in the Basic Manual is small, so missing this info is
    quite easily overlooked.

    Jimmy, Nov 18, 2003
  12. n_o_s_p_a__m

    Lucas Sweany Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hey folks, I have a ton of shots of people closing their eyes from the
    > flash on my c-4000. Can this be flash be toned down a bit?

    Yes. Hit "OK", right arrow, mode menu, scroll down to the option that
    has a little lightning bolt and a "+/-" (one below the ISO setting),
    right arrow, then adjust with up/down arrows. Hit "OK" to complete.

    Lucas Sweany, Nov 18, 2003
  13. n_o_s_p_a__m

    n_o_s_p_a__m Guest

    Got it. Thanks to all who responded.