Oly 5050 slave flash mode, what's up?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Charlie D, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. Charlie D

    Charlie D Guest

    I've been using my 5050 in slave flash mode.
    It works fine by not allowing the on-camera
    flash to use pre-flashes, thus allowing standard
    slave units to be used.

    I do have a question though.
    On page 90 of the PDF manual it states:
    "This setting is for using a commercially available
    slave flash. This lets you adjust and fix the amount
    of light emitted by the commercially available slave
    flash.
    Press +/- to select the amount
    of light from 1 to 10, then press ok.

    How in the world does it do that? The definition
    of slave is that the master unit triggers the
    external unit. That's all the master is; a trigger.
    All exposure done by the slave is regulated by
    the slave itself either in auto or manual mode.

    Are there some slave units that emit light
    only during the time the master unit is
    emitting?

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

    Charlie D, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Charlie D

    Neil Gould Guest

    Recently, Charlie D <> posted:

    > Are there some slave units that emit light
    > only during the time the master unit is
    > emitting?

    Yes, but they typically cost more than an Olympus 5050. Visit a larger
    camera store's lighting department for examples.

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Aug 21, 2003