    about the whole thing...

    Thanks for any info!

    David
    dh@., May 15, 2006

  2. On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:

    >Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
    >the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
    >everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
    >me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
    >about the whole thing...
    >
    >Thanks for any info!
    >
    >David

    I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
    eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
    difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
    I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    Spehro Pefhany, May 15, 2006

  3. dh@.

    Guest

    I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
    three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
    well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
    wide web".

    John
    Aspen Research, - www.aspenresearch.com
    "Turning Questions into Answers"

    Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not represent those of my
    employer.
    , May 15, 2006
  4. dh@.

    Ed Chilada Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, dh@. wrote:

    >Hi. How do you pronounce it?

    oh-led

    surely.
    Ed Chilada, May 16, 2006
  5. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Tue, 16 May 2006 16:01:34 +0100, Ed Chilada <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, dh@. wrote:
    >
    >>Hi. How do you pronounce it?

    >oh-led
    >
    >surely.

    That seems right to me, but I wonder how they would
    verbally differentiate between FOLED and PHOLED.
    It's hard to find people who are very familiar with this
    stuff...which may be a good thing.
    dh@., May 16, 2006
  6. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    <> Gave us:

    >On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
    >
    >>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
    >>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
    >>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
    >>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
    >>about the whole thing...
    >>
    >>Thanks for any info!
    >>
    >>David

    >I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
    >eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
    >difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
    >I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.

    You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
    LCD manufacture.

    OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.

    EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
    individually wired... YES WIRED.

    IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther
    is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.

    It has several miles of wiring in it.

    It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.

    I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the
    first two do not count.

    Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.

    OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost
    effective way. Not right now though.

    The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    capacity as a result.

    OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
    the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
    phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
    lack of this capacity.
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 17, 2006
  7. dh@.

    Alan Larson Guest

    In article <> Roy L. Fuchs <> writes:

    > OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost
    >effective way. Not right now though.

    If they can get the service life up...

    > The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    >from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    >capacity as a result.

    I think you meant LCDs. LEDs are light sources.

    > OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
    >the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
    >phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
    >lack of this capacity.

    Not quite true. It is simply a matter of matching the filter and the light
    source behind the LCD so that only the desired primary comes out.

    Light from common LEDs can be fairly close to monochromatic, as you point out,
    but similar effect can be had from LCD by using filters with reasonable isolation
    between the primaries and using a backlight composed of line spectra of the
    primaries instead of broad spectrum white light.

    Alan
    Alan Larson, May 17, 2006
  8. On 15 May 2006 11:44:58 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
    >three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
    >well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
    >wide web".

    In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub",
    and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

    The Real Andy, May 17, 2006
  9. On Wed, 17 May 2006 06:32:49 GMT, the renowned Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    ><> Gave us:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
    >>>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
    >>>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
    >>>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
    >>>about the whole thing...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any info!
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
    >>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
    >>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
    >>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
    >>

    > You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
    >LCD manufacture.
    >
    > OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
    >
    > EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
    >individually wired... YES WIRED.

    Funny, the ones I have here look a lot an awful lot like LCD displays.
    Glass substrate. Multiplexed, of course, which works better with
    diodes than LCDs.

    > OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost
    >effective way. Not right now though.

    They are *already* competitive with VFD displays. They've been used in
    one manufacturer's consumer products for several years now.

    > The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    >from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    >capacity as a result.

    Whatcha smoking, dude? LED = Light EMITTING diode.

    > OLEDs are individually fired pixels and produce their own light at
    >the pixel level, just like a CRT does when an E-beam strikes a
    >phosphor. An LCD cannot produce an entire range of colors due to their
    >lack of this capacity.

    Yes, the gamut varies with different display (and printing)
    technology, if that's what you are trying to say. I should have some
    full color ones in hand in a couple of weeks.

    Best regards,
    Spehro Pefhany
    Spehro Pefhany, May 17, 2006
  10. dh@.

    BC Guest

    "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    >>On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:43:16 -0400, the renowned dh@. wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi. How do you pronounce it? Will just a few companies manufacture
    >>>the display material itself, or will the electric print idea make it so
    >>>everyone can do it, or am I confusing different ideas? This is new to
    >>>me, and there's so much potential it's hard to know how to think
    >>>about the whole thing...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for any info!
    >>>
    >>>David

    >>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
    >>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
    >>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
    >>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
    >>

    > You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
    > LCD manufacture.
    >
    > OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
    >
    > EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
    > individually wired... YES WIRED.
    >
    > IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther
    > is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.
    >
    > It has several miles of wiring in it.
    >
    > It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.
    >
    > I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the
    > first two do not count.
    >
    > Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.
    >
    > OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost
    > effective way. Not right now though.
    >
    > The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    > from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    > capacity as a result.

    False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is
    color calibrated and calibratable. Color is BETTER than on an equivalent
    CRT. My Samsung 32 LCD HDTV is the best picture and color I've seen and I
    have seen the Pioneer Elite Plasma--neighbor has one. CRT TV's/monitors
    aren't worth two cents IMO. CRT monitors especially give me eyestrain when
    working and LCD doesn't. Maybe this new OLED technology WILL be better but
    for some reason for some people that which is unavailable is always THE
    BEST.

    BC, May 17, 2006
  11. dh@.

    Annika1980 Guest

    BC wrote:

    > False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is
    > color calibrated and calibratable. Color is BETTER than on an equivalent
    > CRT.

    Which LCD monitor do you use?

    Better color than a CRT? Color me skeptical.
    Annika1980, May 17, 2006
  12. In article <>,
    says...

    > You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
    > LCD manufacture.

    <snip>

    > The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    > from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    > capacity as a result.

    Oh dear, you were doing so well up to this point..

    T.
    Tony Gartshore, May 17, 2006
  13. On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:13:21 +1000, The Real Andy wrote:

    > On 15 May 2006 11:44:58 -0700, ""
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
    >>three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
    >>well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
    >>wide web".

    > In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub",
    > and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

    And the Bush worshippers say, "Dubya, Dubya, Dubya."

    cheers!
    Bobo
    Bobo The Chimp, May 17, 2006
  14. dh@.

    mc Guest

    >>>I heard it with all four letters pronounced, just like the LED has all
    >>>three letters pronounced. Afterall, they roll off the tongue fairly
    >>>well, unlike say, WWW, which as three times the syllables of "world
    >>>wide web".

    >> In all the MS webcasts i notice the redmond folks say "dub dub dub",
    >> and for product like 'WWF' they say "dub dub ef"

    > And the Bush worshippers say, "Dubya, Dubya, Dubya."

    And in Yiddish, (Oy) Vey Vey Vey!
    mc, May 17, 2006
  15. BC wrote:

    > "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 15 May 2006 14:15:39 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    > > <> Gave us:

    > >>I imagine the number of companies producing the substrates will
    > >>eventually be fairly large, I don't think it's that much more
    > >>difficult than making good LCD panels. I'm pretty impressed with what
    > >>I've seen so far. No panacea, but it's a nice option.
    > >>

    > > You are't very bright. The technology is entirely different than
    > > LCD manufacture.
    > >
    > > OLED (pronounced Oh-Lead) Is Organic LED.
    > >
    > > EVERY PIXEL is an LED, fully illuminated by current level, and
    > > individually wired... YES WIRED.
    > >
    > > IBM manufactures what is STILL the highest resolution display ther
    > > is. A 19 MILLION pixel OLED monitor.
    > >
    > > It has several miles of wiring in it.
    > >
    > > It also only refreshes at 24Hz in its highest resolution.
    > >
    > > I'll give you three guesses as to who their target market is, and the
    > > first two do not count.
    > >
    > > Oh, and yes... it is out of your budget range.
    > >
    > > OLED will be the hot shit when it become manufacturable in a cost
    > > effective way. Not right now though.
    > >
    > > The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    > > from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    > > capacity as a result.

    > False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is
    > color calibrated and calibratable. Color is BETTER than on an equivalent
    > CRT. My Samsung 32 LCD HDTV is the best picture and color I've seen and I
    > have seen the Pioneer Elite Plasma--neighbor has one. CRT TV's/monitors
    > aren't worth two cents IMO. CRT monitors especially give me eyestrain when
    > working and LCD doesn't. Maybe this new OLED technology WILL be better but
    > for some reason for some people that which is unavailable is always THE
    > BEST.

    That makes sense. LCDs have separate light sources, primary color
    filters and shutters. Each component can be optimized. Particularly the
    primary color filters, being nothing more than fixed filters, don't have
    to be a design compromise between light emitting, control and hue that
    LEDs, phosphors, etc. do.

    --
    Paul Hovnanian mailto:p
    Paul Hovnanian P.E., May 18, 2006
  16. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 07:30:00 +0000 (UTC),
    (Alan Larson) Gave us:

    >> The reason is that LEDs are not light sources. They are illuminated
    >>from behind and express serious limitations in color producing
    >>capacity as a result.

    > I think you meant LCDs. LEDs are light sources.

    Yes. Mild dyslexia. Bad place for it to happen, though. :-]
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 18, 2006
  17. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    <> Gave us:

    >Funny, the ones I have here look a lot an awful lot like LCD displays.
    >Glass substrate. Multiplexed, of course, which works better with
    >diodes than LCDs.

    Did you get a chance to look at the BACK of the OLED panel?

    Get back to me at that time.

    Oh, and it is a glass frontispiece.
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 18, 2006
  18. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    <> Gave us:

    >They are *already* competitive with VFD displays. They've been used in
    >one manufacturer's consumer products for several years now.

    Yeah right. An MP3 player/picture viewer with an array size
    amounting to a few thousand pixels.

    Where are the large OLED FPDs at? Well...?
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 18, 2006
  19. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 09:04:27 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
    <> Gave us:

    >Whatcha smoking, dude? LED = Light EMITTING diode.

    I guess the reader (YOU) would have to have enough brains to know
    that I was actually talking about LCDs. Just look at the description
    given in the body of the text. LEDs are not backlit.

    You know damned well what I was talking about, OR you are one stupid
    fucher.
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 18, 2006
  20. dh@.

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:41:59 GMT, "BC" <> Gave us:

    >False. I do photographic color retouching on a LCD pro monitor and it is
    >color calibrated and calibratable.

    Whoopie doo.

    If your brainy (claim to be) ass knew what the color triangle looked
    like, and where displays fall into place on them, you would KNOW that
    an LCD display CANNOT reproduce the same spectrum as a CRT, OR an
    OLED. Hell, they even have problems with grayscale production.

    You need to bone up on monitors and displays, Chucko. I don't what
    you have been calibrating with what instruments, it doesn't mean that
    you know jack squat about display devices.
    Roy L. Fuchs, May 18, 2006