OLE Registration Not Working in XP Pro 64bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

    Recently I noticed that I was unable to send "via right click" images
    displayed in IE to a mail client message of the same machine. IE would return
    an error saying that "This document cannot be sent as email, would you like
    to send a shortcut instead?" In all cases, if I select yes, it asks the
    message again, then the behavior listed below occurs.

    If I use IE 32bit, and select yes, a shortcut is pasted to blank email
    message, with Outlook indicating "Outlook has blocked access to the
    potentially unsafe attachments: attachment_name." Yet, it shows the URL
    shortcut in an email message. If I select no, nothing happens, as probably
    should be.

    If I use IE 64bit, and select yes or no, the system attempts to install
    Outlook Express with an "Internet Connection Wizard" window.

    I checked Outlook 2003 and found that the mail format message default is to
    use MS Word (found in Outlook under Tools, Options, Mail Format.) However, if
    I tried to create a new email message, a word looking format appears and
    allows text entry. Upon saving or sending the message, MS Word returns the
    following error message “Interface Not Registeredâ€, and hit ok, and then the
    following message indicating that an OLE error has occurred.

    I have repaired Office, Word, and IE but no change in the status. I have
    searched through all of the settings yet without success to find that one
    little bit which makes the difference.

    There may be two problems here. From a symptoms viewpoint, I cannot use MS
    Word to construct emails, and I cannot start or create an email message by
    pasting or passing an object from IE.

    I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
    for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several times.

    I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not be
    uninstalled.)

    Any ideas?

    OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
    Small Business Office Suite 2003
    Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
    1GB RAM
    SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
    NVida 6800 256MB
    Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
    HP Officejet 5610xi
    Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
    DVD-ROM
    DVD- Dual Layer Writer
    19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
    Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded
    Fuzzy dustball next to mouse.
    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Wonder if this isn't your firewall, the default settings will block
    everything that you, or the account owner, do not request - so look over
    those settings.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Thanks.... but I don't have the Nvida Firewall loaded, and as for the MS
    Firewall, I am using the default Admin account. I did check the MS Firewall
    and saw nothing that would indicate that OLE registration would be blocked on
    the local computer for the admin.

    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005
  4. There is a known issue with the nVidia firewall that has been discussed here
    often. Even if you choose not to install the firewall a piece of it gets
    installed anyway. The resolution is to install the firewall so the
    uninstaller can see it and then uninstall the firewall. The uninstaller
    then removes even the piece that was installed. This may not be your
    problem, but it is worth trying.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 19, 2005
  5. I can't be sure, it could be the Firewall setting for that other account -
    and for you to be able to send e-mail across, you need to have some sort of
    local network set up, right? So, I was suspecting that the Firewall is
    blocking that connection together with your default internet connection. You
    might have to set up some 'profiles' for the Firewall, or whatever they call
    it, these days. Settings that targets each of the accounts separately.

    And no, I wasn't thinking specifically about the nVidia Firewall, if that is
    it, it can play havoc even though you did not install it, the proper way to
    get rid of that issue (if that is it) is to Install the Firewall, and the
    Un-install it. It's, what you'd call a bug in the early versions of that
    thing. Apparently, not everybody is affected.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 19, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=

    Alexis Guest

    lovewater,

    i have the same problem. "Interface Not Registered"
    i diselected MS word in Mail format to be able to work with emails which
    images.
    alexis

    Alexis, Nov 19, 2005
  7. Ok... I did install, and then uninstall the firewall. No joy... It didn't
    seem to change anything, except to remove the "Armour" function of the
    firewall. Perhaps that will keep me from finding the next problem. :)

    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005
  8. Actually, I did not think that the firewall was the problem since the image
    that I attempted to send to Outlook was already displayed in the IE window,
    and hence, already sitting on my computer. In any case, I have installed,
    uninstalled the NVidia firewall, and it did not make any difference to this
    problem.

    Thanks though.

    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005
  9. Acutally, if I deselect MS Word in Outlook, only a shortcut appears and not
    the graphic image itself.

    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 19, 2005
  10. "Interface not registered" is a well known issue.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;889885#XSLTH3124121123120121120120
    To fix it, just run the following command
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    No reboot needed.
    That should fix it.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Nov 20, 2005
  11. Thank you... I wasn't able to find that solution in the English version of
    the Knowledgebase. I guess next time I will try Spanish.

    Gracias mucho. Recuerdos, Richard

    And thank you to all others who helped.
    Richard

    =?Utf-8?B?bG92ZXdhdGVy?=, Nov 20, 2005
  12. Great find Carlos!
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 20, 2005
  13. Oops!
    Here you go in English:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889885/en-us
    Carlos