    work on Vista? I don't really want to buy all new software.
    Thanks,
    Ernie

    Ernie Werbel, May 20, 2007

  2. Ernie Werbel

    JANA Guest

    You will have to try it. The compatibility will be dependent on how the
    software was written. Most of the older DOS applications will not work
    properly with Vista, and many did not work properly with XP.

    Where you may run in to some serious problems with Vista, is if you have an
    older scanner or printer. Many of the devices older than about 5 years old
    are no longer supported. Many of these companies have already mentioned that
    they will not be writing Vista drivers for their older devices.

    What I liked about Win 2000, and XP, is that they were supporting some the
    very old devices, which made things interesting. Sometimes, you can have a
    hardware device that is still very useful, and you like the way it works.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "Ernie Werbel" <> wrote in message
    I am considering the idea of building a new PC and buying Vista when the
    service pack becomes available. Will the old Win16 and DOS applications

    JANA, May 23, 2007

  3. Ernie Werbel

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Ernie Werbel" <> wrote in message
    >I am considering the idea of building a new PC and buying Vista when the
    >service pack becomes available. Will the old Win16 and DOS applications
    >work on Vista? I don't really want to buy all new software.
    > Thanks,
    > Ernie

    There is a compatibility option to run programs in different modes, like XP,
    Win 2K, Win 98, etc.

    There is also Virtual PC 2007 where you can run Vista and run another O/S in
    a virtual PC environment.

    The rule of thumb is make sure everything is Vista compatible if you're
    installing it on Vista both hardware and software.

    http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=5175

    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...5ea7-4ad3-be3f-af29f7b48dde1033.mspx?mfr=true

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

    Mr. Arnold, May 23, 2007