    Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
    focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
    I need to be sure.

    sgtdisturbed, Feb 5, 2007

  2. sgtdisturbed wrote:
    > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
    > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
    > I need to be sure.

    Any Nikon AF lens will work on your D50, but not all of the functions will
    work. If the lens has no ability to lock the aperture to the minimum you
    will lose the AE facility and have to expose manually, although I have yet
    to see a Nikon AF lens without this facility.

    DP

    Dennis Pogson, Feb 5, 2007

  3. sgtdisturbed <> wrote:
    > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
    > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
    > I need to be sure.

    If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 5, 2007
  4. sgtdisturbed

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    > > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
    > > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
    > > I need to be sure.
    > >

    > If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

    It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
    it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
    automation that depends on the D data.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 5, 2007
  5. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    >> > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
    >> > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
    >> > I need to be sure.
    >> >

    >> If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

    > It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
    > it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
    > automation that depends on the D data.

    I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared to do a
    lot of work in manual (M).

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 5, 2007
  6. sgtdisturbed

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    > > It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
    > > it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
    > > automation that depends on the D data.

    > I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared
    > to do a lot of work in manual (M).

    Why do you expect that?

    Paul Rubin, Feb 5, 2007
  7. Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    >> > It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
    >> > it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
    >> > automation that depends on the D data.

    >> I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared
    >> to do a lot of work in manual (M).

    > Why do you expect that?

    D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I was under
    the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras had a hard time
    working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes [I don't recall the reason
    why]. I could very well be incorrect on this, but I believe there were more
    limitations than just the lack of distance information [and thus flash
    control].

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse

    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Feb 5, 2007
  8. sgtdisturbed

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    > D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I
    > was under the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras
    > had a hard time working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes
    > [I don't recall the reason why]. I could very well be incorrect on
    > this, but I believe there were more limitations than just the lack
    > of distance information [and thus flash control].

    I've never heard of any issue like that with AF lenses. Yes there's
    an issue with MF lenses. And even the high end Nikon film SLR's don't
    support shutter or program modes with pre-AIS MF lenses. But that has
    nothing to do with the AF's.

    I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
    don't have a D50 to test it on.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 5, 2007
  9. "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <> writes:
    >> D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I
    >> was under the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras
    >> had a hard time working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes
    >> [I don't recall the reason why]. I could very well be incorrect on
    >> this, but I believe there were more limitations than just the lack
    >> of distance information [and thus flash control].

    > I've never heard of any issue like that with AF lenses. Yes there's
    > an issue with MF lenses. And even the high end Nikon film SLR's don't
    > support shutter or program modes with pre-AIS MF lenses. But that has
    > nothing to do with the AF's.
    >
    > I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
    > don't have a D50 to test it on.

    If you're the OP and you're considering buying a D50 to use with that lens,
    you can download the D50 user manual in PDF format from the Nikon site and
    that will tell you what Nikon lenses you can use with it, and with what if
    any limitations.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Feb 5, 2007
  10. sgtdisturbed

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> writes:
    > > I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
    > > don't have a D50 to test it on.

    > If you're the OP and you're considering buying a D50 to use with that lens,
    > you can download the D50 user manual in PDF format from the Nikon site and

    I'm not the OP and I think the OP was asking about people's real
    experiences, not what the manual might or might not say.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 5, 2007