Older hardware specs -- need info from the veterans

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DC, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. DC

    DC Guest

    I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.

    Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    and 1.2M.

    A Google search on the model number reveals only that it is a 1.2MB
    drive.

    Is (was) it common for these 1.2MB drives to also RW the other sizes?

    I have a secondary system to install it into, however I have no floppies
    to test it with. Would simply installing the unit into my kids' win98se
    games box permit me to reveal, by whatever means, the read/write
    capabilities of the drive? Perhaps by checking the "Format..." dialog
    box and checking the available radio buttons or dropdown box?

    Any old and wise folks out there who can help out? Does anyone know of
    a good web site with a hardware specs repository that might be useful?

    I just got the system running smoothly and don't want to bugger it, so
    installing the unit would be a last resort.

    Thanks for any assistance. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 18, 2004

  2. DC

    °Mike° Guest

    On 18 Aug 2004 20:58:47 GMT, in
    <>
    DC scrawled:

    >I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    >model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.
    >
    >Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    >and 1.2M.
    >
    >A Google search on the model number reveals only that it is a 1.2MB
    >drive.
    >
    >Is (was) it common for these 1.2MB drives to also RW the other sizes?
    >
    >I have a secondary system to install it into, however I have no floppies
    >to test it with. Would simply installing the unit into my kids' win98se
    >games box permit me to reveal, by whatever means, the read/write
    >capabilities of the drive? Perhaps by checking the "Format..." dialog
    >box and checking the available radio buttons or dropdown box?
    >
    >Any old and wise folks out there who can help out? Does anyone know of
    >a good web site with a hardware specs repository that might be useful?
    >
    >I just got the system running smoothly and don't want to bugger it, so
    >installing the unit would be a last resort.
    >
    >Thanks for any assistance. }:O)

    A 1.2MB drive can read/write 360 and 720 floppies, although
    sometimes, depending on the drive, there can be problems,
    though this is rare.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2004

  3. DC

    DC Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On 18 Aug 2004 20:58:47 GMT, in
    > <>
    > DC scrawled:

    >>I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    >>model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.

    >>Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    >>and 1.2M.

    [...]

    > A 1.2MB drive can read/write 360 and 720 floppies, although
    > sometimes, depending on the drive, there can be problems,
    > though this is rare.

    Thanks for your input, Mike.

    That's what I *vaguely* remember, also, but I don't trust meatRAM to
    recall info that far back with any degree of reliability. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 18, 2004
  4. DC

    Elco Guest

    "DC" <> schreef in bericht
    > I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    > model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.
    >
    > Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    > and 1.2M.
    >
    > A Google search on the model number reveals only that it is a 1.2MB
    > drive.
    >
    > Is (was) it common for these 1.2MB drives to also RW the other sizes?
    >
    > I have a secondary system to install it into, however I have no floppies
    > to test it with. Would simply installing the unit into my kids' win98se
    > games box permit me to reveal, by whatever means, the read/write
    > capabilities of the drive? Perhaps by checking the "Format..." dialog
    > box and checking the available radio buttons or dropdown box?
    >
    > Any old and wise folks out there who can help out? Does anyone know of
    > a good web site with a hardware specs repository that might be useful?
    >
    > I just got the system running smoothly and don't want to bugger it, so
    > installing the unit would be a last resort.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance. }:O)
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    This can help...
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/formatKB1200-c.html

    --
    grtz......Elco

    Elco, Aug 18, 2004
  5. DC

    °Mike° Guest

    On 18 Aug 2004 21:37:33 GMT, in
    <>
    DC scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:

    <snip>

    >> A 1.2MB drive can read/write 360 and 720 floppies, although
    >> sometimes, depending on the drive, there can be problems,
    >> though this is rare.

    >Thanks for your input, Mike.
    >
    >That's what I *vaguely* remember, also, but I don't trust meatRAM to
    >recall info that far back with any degree of reliability. }:O)

    I will admit, that I had to think twice before answering. ;o)

    --
    "Those who forget the pasta are condemed to reheat it."

    °Mike°, Aug 18, 2004
  6. DC

    PC Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    > I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    > model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.
    >
    > Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    > and 1.2M.
    >
    > A Google search on the model number reveals only that it is a 1.2MB
    > drive.
    >
    > Is (was) it common for these 1.2MB drives to also RW the other sizes?
    >
    > I have a secondary system to install it into, however I have no floppies
    > to test it with. Would simply installing the unit into my kids' win98se
    > games box permit me to reveal, by whatever means, the read/write
    > capabilities of the drive? Perhaps by checking the "Format..." dialog
    > box and checking the available radio buttons or dropdown box?
    >
    > Any old and wise folks out there who can help out? Does anyone know of
    > a good web site with a hardware specs repository that might be useful?
    >
    > I just got the system running smoothly and don't want to bugger it, so
    > installing the unit would be a last resort.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance. }:O)
    >
    > --
    > DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001
    >
    > Why I love Open Source: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=111601

    As far as I can remember all 1.2MB 5.25" drives would read/write from at
    least 360KB up.
    There are (were) some proggy's around that would let you read other non IBM
    formats as well.

    Been my experience though that after sitting around for so long a lot of
    5.25" drives have marginal performance, though I suspect a lot of this could
    be put down to the disk's going 'soft'.

    Gotta ask: if you have no disk's why do you want to install it?

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Aug 18, 2004
  7. DC

    DC Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    > On 18 Aug 2004 21:37:33 GMT, in
    > <>
    > DC scrawled:

    >>°Mike° wrote:

    ><snip>

    >>> A 1.2MB drive can read/write 360 and 720 floppies, although
    >>> sometimes, depending on the drive, there can be problems,
    >>> though this is rare.

    >>Thanks for your input, Mike.

    >>That's what I *vaguely* remember, also, but I don't trust meatRAM to
    >>recall info that far back with any degree of reliability. }:O)

    > I will admit, that I had to think twice before answering. ;o)

    I won't tell. I promise. };O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 18, 2004
  8. DC

    DC Guest

    PC wrote:

    > "DC" <> wrote in message
    >> I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    >> model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.

    >> Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    >> and 1.2M.

    [...]

    > As far as I can remember all 1.2MB 5.25" drives would read/write from at
    > least 360KB up.
    > There are (were) some proggy's around that would let you read other non IBM
    > formats as well.

    That sounds familiar.

    > Been my experience though that after sitting around for so long a lot of
    > 5.25" drives have marginal performance, though I suspect a lot of this could
    > be put down to the disk's going 'soft'.

    Makes sense. We *are* talking pretty old tech, here.

    > Gotta ask: if you have no disk's why do you want to install it?

    It's not for me. I have a drive that someone wants to buy from me.

    I think $50 sounds reasonable. Kidding!

    Thanks, PC.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 18, 2004
  9. DC

    DC Guest

    Elco wrote:

    > "DC" <> schreef in bericht
    >> I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    >> model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.

    >> Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    >> and 1.2M.

    [...]

    > This can help...
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/formatKB1200-c.html

    That is helpful. Thanks for the link.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 18, 2004
  10. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on 18
    Aug 2004 22:36:04 GMT, DC <> screamed from behind
    the mulberry bush:

    >Elco wrote:
    >
    >> "DC" <> schreef in bericht
    >>> I have an old (obviously) 5.25in floppy drive that I need info on. The
    >>> model is: 5.25 Panasonic (Matsushita) JU-475-4APJ.

    >>> Specifically, I need to find out if the drive will read/write 360K, 720K
    >>> and 1.2M.

    >[...]
    >

    >> This can help...
    >> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/formatKB1200-c.html

    >That is helpful. Thanks for the link.

    Remember, that placement on the ribbon cable is important for the
    computer to recognize it as either the A: or B: drive and that you
    have to go into the BIOS and configure it.
    BTW, the old 1.2 meg floppy disks are backwards compatible back to
    the older "low density" mediums.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Aug 19, 2004
  11. DC

    DC Guest

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor wrote:
    > I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on 18
    > Aug 2004 22:36:04 GMT, DC <> screamed from behind
    > the mulberry bush:

    >>Elco wrote:

    >>> "DC" <> schreef in bericht

    >>[...]

    >>> This can help...
    >>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/fdd/formatKB1200-c.html

    >>That is helpful. Thanks for the link.

    > Remember, that placement on the ribbon cable is important for the
    > computer to recognize it as either the A: or B: drive and that you
    > have to go into the BIOS and configure it.
    > BTW, the old 1.2 meg floppy disks are backwards compatible back to
    > the older "low density" mediums.

    Thanks for that. Just what the doctor ordered. };O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 19, 2004
  12. DC

    Vickie Guest

    It'll read and write 1.2MB and 360K diskettes. It won't work with 720K
    diskettes since those are normally of the 3.5" variety and your drive is
    5.25".

    Vickie

    PS
    The above answer is NOT an admission of my age!!

    Vickie, Aug 19, 2004