    be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
    course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
    lenses. Thanks.
    Bruce W. Ellis, May 12, 2006

  2. Bruce W. Ellis

    Neil Guest

    In message <>, Bruce W. Ellis
    <ellis*nospam*@stcloudstate.edu> writes
    >Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
    >be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
    >course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
    >lenses. Thanks.

    They are available, for example:

    <http://www.loobylins.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=3
    76>

    Canon made one in the early days of EF lenses which is said to be very
    good, but I think it is now an expensive collectors item.

    Googling 'fd ef adapter' turns up quite a few hits. I would imagine the
    optical quality takes a hit, but it depends what you want the photos
    for, for web pages probably fine, for blowing up to A3 size, probably
    not!

    Regards,
    --
    Neil
    Neil, May 12, 2006

  3. Bruce W. Ellis

    Guest

    Bruce W. Ellis wrote:
    > Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
    > be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
    > course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
    > lenses. Thanks.

    Kind of a frequently asked question ;o)!

    There are some FD > EF adapters, see eg eBay, but they ALL need some
    optics to allow the lens to focus at infinity, and so they give not as
    good quality as the lens alone.
    Your choice!
    , May 12, 2006
  4. Bruce W. Ellis

    tomm42 Guest

    Bruce W. Ellis wrote:
    > Is there an adapter that allows older Canon (manual focus) lenses to
    > be used on an EOS (esp. digital) Canon SLR (in manual focus mode of
    > course)? A friend and I have some nice older (~30 years) Canon
    > lenses. Thanks.

    Just went trough that this winter, no real options. The $40 variety
    throws a cheap piece of glass between a good lens and good camera,
    being a very weak link. You loose the auto aperture too. The Canon
    adapter is rare and was only designed to work with certain telephoto
    lenses. When Canon dropped the FD mount they really dropped it, totally
    orphaned.

    Tom
    tomm42, May 12, 2006
  5. Bruce W. Ellis