    deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    all you folks.

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jan 1, 2007

  2. bluezfolk

    Ken Burns Guest

    "bluezfolk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    > that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    > refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    > were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    > recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    > deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    > all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    They go to that great Camera Bag in the Sky!!!

    Ken Burns, Jan 1, 2007

  3. bluezfolk

    JohnR66 Guest

    "bluezfolk" <> wrote in message
    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    > that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    > refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    > were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    > recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    > deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    > all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    My old ones all went on eBay.

    JohnR66, Jan 1, 2007
  4. bluezfolk

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 09:14:14 -0800, bluezfolk wrote:

    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    > that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    > refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    > were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    > recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    > deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    > all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    Damned good question - it will be interesting to see what you find out.

    ray, Jan 1, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    "bluezfolk" <> wrote:

    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    > that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    > refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    > were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    > recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    > deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    > all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    When you are old enough you can give them to your grandchildren.

    carrying a cross."
    Sinclair Lewis

    Ockham's Razor, Jan 1, 2007
  6. bluezfolk

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "bluezfolk" <> wrote
    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go.

    I kept mine.

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jan 1, 2007
  7. bluezfolk

    Len Guest

    "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

    > "bluezfolk" <> wrote
    > > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > > cameras go.

    > I kept mine.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > I think he's talking about cameras that haven't been sold, What do the

    stores or manufacturers do with them?

    Len, Jan 1, 2007
  8. bluezfolk

    Rich Guest

    bluezfolk wrote:
    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    > that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    > refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    > were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    > recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    > deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    > all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    I love how that site uses list prices, as it they matter.
    Rebel XT, list price $1600, now $530, you save $1070!
    Uh huh. Meanwhile, you can get them new for about $575.00.

    Rich, Jan 1, 2007
  9. bluezfolk

    DHB Guest

    On 1 Jan 2007 09:14:14 -0800, "bluezfolk" <> wrote:

    > I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    >cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    >that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    >refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    >were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    >recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    >deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    >all you folks.
    >

    > Eric

    I either keep them for more specialized uses or give them away
    to family & friends. I,I'm not a grandfather so I can't pass them
    down to my grad kids but I am an uncle & have nieces & nephews.

    Many kids these days are quite fussy in what they want so not
    all of my older digital camera's would be of interest. Most kids want
    a pockets size digital camera with a large LCD which is why those that
    don't meet their needs, are given to friends.

    Many digital camera manufactures often offer refurbished
    options to older cameras that may or may not be worth an out of
    warrantee repair. Search this news group a few day back & you will
    see such an offer was made to somebody with a Canon A95 for a
    refurbished A610, which is what I would have chosen in that case.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jan 1, 2007
  10. bluezfolk

    Matt Ion Guest

    Paul Bartram wrote:
    > "bluezfolk" <> wrote
    >
    >>I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    >>cameras go.

    > I kept mine.

    I think he's talking about all the ones in the retail channels that don't get
    sold before they're replaced by newer models...

    Matt Ion, Jan 2, 2007
  11. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "bluezfolk" <> wrote in message
    >> I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    >> cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    >> that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    >> refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    >> were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    >> recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    >> deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    >> all you folks.
    >>

    >> Eric

    > My old ones all went on eBay.

    Gave my old one to a nephew. Don't know what he did with it when he got
    a new one, probably gave it to his son.
    Still working with my second one.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2007
  12. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    DHB wrote:
    > On 1 Jan 2007 09:14:14 -0800, "bluezfolk" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    >> cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    >> that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    >> refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    >> were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    >> recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    >> deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    >> all you folks.
    >>

    >> Eric

    > I either keep them for more specialized uses or give them away
    > to family & friends. I,I'm not a grandfather so I can't pass them
    > down to my grad kids but I am an uncle & have nieces & nephews.
    >
    > Many kids these days are quite fussy in what they want so not
    > all of my older digital camera's would be of interest. Most kids want
    > a pockets size digital camera with a large LCD which is why those that
    > don't meet their needs, are given to friends.

    Yes, so they can hold them out at arms length, snap away, and wonder why
    all of them come out blurry. Sigh.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2007
  13. bluezfolk

    DHB Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:56:11 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >DHB wrote:
    >> On 1 Jan 2007 09:14:14 -0800, "bluezfolk" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    >>> cameras go. With the rate of new models being introduced its obvious
    >>> that the old ones aren't all sold out. I've seen some on
    >>> refurbdepot.com and similar sites that are almost the same price they
    >>> were when new 2-3 years ago. Is it possible that the manufacturers
    >>> recall them and just trash them so they're off the market? Does Santa
    >>> deliver them to foreign countries? BTW Happy and Healthy New Year to
    >>> all you folks.
    >>>

    >>> Eric

    >> I either keep them for more specialized uses or give them away
    >> to family & friends. I,I'm not a grandfather so I can't pass them
    >> down to my grad kids but I am an uncle & have nieces & nephews.
    >>
    >> Many kids these days are quite fussy in what they want so not
    >> all of my older digital camera's would be of interest. Most kids want
    >> a pockets size digital camera with a large LCD which is why those that
    >> don't meet their needs, are given to friends.
    >>

    >Yes, so they can hold them out at arms length, snap away, and wonder why
    >all of them come out blurry. Sigh.

    Actually *all* of the digital cameras I have given to both
    family & friends have had *both* an optical viewfinder & a LCD. So if
    they *want* to hold it @ arms length, it's their choice.

    Many newer digital cameras, especially small P&S types have
    dropped the optical viewfinder because they must feel that a 2.5" or
    3" LCD is large enough for both taking & reviewing the pictures. Also
    by leaving out the optical viewfinder it saves them money & space.

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jan 2, 2007
  14. bluezfolk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    DHB wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:56:11 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> DHB wrote:

    >>> I either keep them for more specialized uses or give them away
    >>> to family & friends. I,I'm not a grandfather so I can't pass them
    >>> down to my grad kids but I am an uncle & have nieces & nephews.
    >>>
    >>> Many kids these days are quite fussy in what they want so not
    >>> all of my older digital camera's would be of interest. Most kids want
    >>> a pockets size digital camera with a large LCD which is why those that
    >>> don't meet their needs, are given to friends.
    >>>

    >> Yes, so they can hold them out at arms length, snap away, and wonder why
    >> all of them come out blurry. Sigh.

    > Actually *all* of the digital cameras I have given to both
    > family & friends have had *both* an optical viewfinder & a LCD. So if
    > they *want* to hold it @ arms length, it's their choice.
    >
    > Many newer digital cameras, especially small P&S types have
    > dropped the optical viewfinder because they must feel that a 2.5" or
    > 3" LCD is large enough for both taking & reviewing the pictures. Also
    > by leaving out the optical viewfinder it saves them money & space.

    All true, while encouraging a method of taking pictures that is
    virtually guaranteed to produce a poor quality picture in most
    conditions. BAD IDEA!

    Even the $139 Kodak I bought my wife has a real optical viewfinder,
    albeit rather small. Unfortunately, she refuses to use it... sigh.
    Then she wants to know what that 'red hand' in her display is... Oh well.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 2, 2007
  15. bluezfolk

    bluezfolk Guest

    Matt Ion wrote:
    > Paul Bartram wrote:
    > > "bluezfolk" <> wrote
    > >
    > >>I was just wondering where do all the older models of digital
    > >>cameras go.

    > > I kept mine.

    > I think he's talking about all the ones in the retail channels that don't get
    > sold before they're replaced by newer models...

    You are correct, I am asking about the ones that don't get sold in
    the first place. I just gave my old Fuji 2600 to my son, and was
    wanting to replace it with a small P&S that I could carry around and
    not worry about to much. I narrowed the search down to a Nikon L3 and
    Pentax Optio E10, but with (cheap) cameras costing about $150. I'm now
    leaning towards a Canon A710is or S3is (I'll probably never need 12x
    tele), and relegating my a95 to backup duties. Where are all the old
    3-4 MP models, that were never sold?

    Eric

    bluezfolk, Jan 2, 2007
  16. bluezfolk

    Mike Russell Guest

    "bluezfolk" <> wrote in message
    > You are correct, I am asking about the ones that don't get sold in
    > the first place. I just gave my old Fuji 2600 to my son, and was
    > wanting to replace it with a small P&S that I could carry around and
    > not worry about to much. I narrowed the search down to a Nikon L3 and
    > Pentax Optio E10, but with (cheap) cameras costing about $150. I'm now
    > leaning towards a Canon A710is or S3is (I'll probably never need 12x
    > tele), and relegating my a95 to backup duties. Where are all the old
    > 3-4 MP models, that were never sold?

    At the end of most model's life cycle, just when the new model comes in
    there is a "green flash" of low availability and low price that cleans out
    the last of the dealer's stock.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 2, 2007
  17. bluezfolk

    DHB Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 03:00:36 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >DHB wrote:
    >> On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 18:56:11 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Yes, so they can hold them out at arms length, snap away, and wonder why
    >>> all of them come out blurry. Sigh.

    >> Actually *all* of the digital cameras I have given to both
    >> family & friends have had *both* an optical viewfinder & a LCD. So if
    >> they *want* to hold it @ arms length, it's their choice.
    >>
    >> Many newer digital cameras, especially small P&S types have
    >> dropped the optical viewfinder because they must feel that a 2.5" or
    >> 3" LCD is large enough for both taking & reviewing the pictures. Also
    >> by leaving out the optical viewfinder it saves them money & space.
    >>

    >All true, while encouraging a method of taking pictures that is
    >virtually guaranteed to produce a poor quality picture in most
    >conditions. BAD IDEA!
    >
    >Even the $139 Kodak I bought my wife has a real optical viewfinder,
    >albeit rather small. Unfortunately, she refuses to use it... sigh.
    >Then she wants to know what that 'red hand' in her display is... Oh well.

    Ron,
    I have a Fuji F11 which has a 2.5" LCD & no optical
    viewfinder but I purchased it mainly as a small P&S with good low
    light abilities.

    Yes when the shutter speed is fairly slow, I have to be extra
    careful to keep it steady. This is probably why Canon very quickly
    replaced their SD700 with the SD700IS & SD800IS. Very likely other
    manufactures will do likewise or come up with better low light
    performing cameras so that the ISO can be automatically boosted to
    avoid most camera shake problems.

    Every camera has it's pros & cons. How people like to use
    them is up to them. For older people that ware glasses, a 3" LCD
    combined with IS may be a good combination for them. Many people also
    like to use the LCD on their camcorder as a viewfinder & may therefore
    wish to do the same with a digital still camera if the LCD is large
    enough.

    Large swivel LCDs have their place for both digital video
    camcorders & still cameras for certain applications but in general I
    prefer an optical viewfinder 90+% of the time. Having said that, I
    respect the choices of others to do what *they* fell most comfortable
    with. What works well for me may not work well for others, so
    whatever they believe works best for them that's what they should use.
    To each their own.

    When it comes to 1's spouse & their choices, I generally
    believe they have a right to do what works for them & in the case of
    your wife, you might do well to let her have it her way. After all
    it's her camera & her pictures but if she asks for your input,
    politely explain the pros & cons & then don't get involved with her
    choice.

    Best wishes.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jan 2, 2007