    source that would help me identify a particular cameras introduction date?

    Thanks for any responses.

    Dean

    Dean Craft, Apr 14, 2006

  2. Dean Craft

    Guest

    I think it depends on three things: (a) Do you want to save any $$, (b)
    What do you want the camera to do, and (c) are you a person who always
    wants to have the latest technology.

    , Apr 14, 2006

  3. Dean Craft

    Guest

    1. You only list kodak cameras.

    2. Your only mentioned criteria is the age of the camera.

    ? Do you think you are going about this the right way?

    Try this aproach instead:

    1. What are you planning to shoot?
    2. How big do you wish to be able to print?

    then..
    www.dpreview.com
    www.imaging-resource.com

    , Apr 14, 2006
  4. Dean Craft

    Dean Craft Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I think it depends on three things: (a) Do you want to save any $$, (b)
    > What do you want the camera to do, and (c) are you a person who always
    > wants to have the latest technology.

    Thanks for the response. Always like to save a buck or two. I think my
    question goes; however, more to that of how much consideration (should)
    (could) one give to an older device that is available. I simply have no
    idea how long the camera industry repairs/sells parts/maintains the 'older'
    technology. Thanks again.

    Dean

    Dean Craft, Apr 15, 2006
  5. Dean Craft

    Dean Craft Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > 1. You only list kodak cameras.
    >
    > 2. Your only mentioned criteria is the age of the camera.
    >
    > ? Do you think you are going about this the right way?
    >
    > Try this aproach instead:
    >
    > 1. What are you planning to shoot?
    > 2. How big do you wish to be able to print?
    >
    > then..
    > www.dpreview.com
    > www.imaging-resource.com

    I saw no need to fill the post with information that has dropped out of the
    process and is not now valid for consideration. Several brands and models
    have been tested and or reviewed and I have selected two cameras within the
    Kodak line. The third camera was suggested as a possible candidate probably
    fitting in between the other two. The unknown about it, is whether it is
    still in production; when it was first produced and what would be a
    reasonable time frame to expect that parts would be available for repair.
    Perhaps my first post was not clear enough. Thanks for your response.

    Dean

    Dean Craft, Apr 15, 2006
  6. Dean Craft

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:38:00 -0400, Dean Craft wrote:

    > I saw no need to fill the post with information that has dropped out of the
    > process and is not now valid for consideration. Several brands and models
    > have been tested and or reviewed and I have selected two cameras within the
    > Kodak line. The third camera was suggested as a possible candidate probably
    > fitting in between the other two. The unknown about it, is whether it is
    > still in production; when it was first produced and what would be a
    > reasonable time frame to expect that parts would be available for repair.
    > Perhaps my first post was not clear enough. Thanks for your response.

    I think you should be more concerned with other things, such as
    the suitability of the camera for your purposes. You may consider a
    camera to be more valuable if it was more recently put into
    production, but that can make the camera much less cost effective.
    Five or six years ago when my old Canon Powershot was introduced it
    was a bad buy (says me) at its introductory price of $1000. I got
    it about a year later (IIRC) for near $600, and if I waited some
    more could have save several hundred more. The camera still takes
    good pictures. Since in another message you said "Always like to
    save a buck or two", you probably should consider older models, as
    long as they meet your needs.

    (from your previous message) :
    > I simply have no idea how long the camera industry repairs/sells
    > parts/maintains the 'older' technology.

    It doesn't really matter how long this time is. If the camera
    needs to be repaired after the warranty has expired, it is almost
    guaranteed to *not* be worth the cost of repair, unless the problem
    is exceedingly minor. In this regard, Kodak is probably a better
    company to deal with than most, as I've seen (in messages in this
    newsgroup) many cases where the old, and now otherwise worthless
    camera (and probably out of production, but I'm not certain on this
    point) still has value if it is used to trade up to a newer model.
    However, I don't know what limits or restrictions this policy has.
    If this isn't completely accurate, our resident Kodak rep. (Ron B.)
    can provide more accurate information. His presence in this ng is,
    btw, another advantage that Kodak owners share.

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2006
  7. Dean Craft

    Dean Craft Guest

    "ASAAR" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 01:38:00 -0400, Dean Craft wrote:
    >
    >> ...The unknown about it, is whether it is
    >> still in production; when it was first produced and what would be a
    >> reasonable time frame to expect that parts would be available for repair.

    > (from your previous message) :
    >> I simply have no idea how long the camera industry repairs/sells
    >> parts/maintains the 'older' technology.

    > ...It doesn't really matter how long this time is. If the camera
    > needs to be repaired after the warranty has expired, it is almost
    > guaranteed to *not* be worth the cost of repair,...

    Thanks ASAAR. The first sentence of your second paragraph cut directly to
    the heart of my question. I might add also, that your answer was framed
    much better than was the question! That makes my decision much easier...the
    hard part now is waiting until next month to see whether sufficient
    'resources' will be available! ;) Thanks again.

    Dean

    Dean Craft, Apr 15, 2006
  8. Dean Craft

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:36:19 -0400, Dean Craft wrote:

    >> It doesn't really matter how long this time is.

    > . . .
    >
    > Thanks ASAAR.

    You're welcome.

    ASAAR, Apr 15, 2006