    Are conversion mounts made for this purpose
    and where can I get one?

    Please help, PJ

    Peter Jason, Jun 6, 2008

  2. Peter Jason

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Peter Jason <> wrote:
    > Mother's old camera was a Zeiss-Contax IIIa
    > which has a good fast F1.4 lens.
    >
    > I want to adapt this lens for my Olympus
    > E500, and then use manual focusing with it.
    >
    > Are conversion mounts made for this purpose
    > and where can I get one?

    It can't be done. The back of the lens is less than 3cm
    from the film plane at the infinity setting. It would get
    in the way of the mirror. You are pretty much limited to using
    that lens on Contax and Kiev rangefinders. (It will fit on a
    Nikon rangefinder, but the focus will be slightly off at close
    distances.)

    If you have a Contax rangefinder - try using it. They are
    wonderful cameras.

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Jun 6, 2008

  3. Peter Jason

    Bob Williams Guest

    Peter Jason wrote:
    > Mother's old camera was a Zeiss-Contax IIIa
    > which has a good fast F1.4 lens.
    >
    > I want to adapt this lens for my Olympus
    > E500, and then use manual focusing with it.
    >
    > Are conversion mounts made for this purpose
    > and where can I get one?
    >
    > Please help, PJ

    Can't help with the mount but you do realize that your(50mm?) Contax
    lens will act like a 100mm lens on your E500.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jun 6, 2008
  4. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "Peter Irwin" <> wrote in
    message news:g2an7v$vpd$...
    > Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >> Mother's old camera was a Zeiss-Contax
    >> IIIa
    >> which has a good fast F1.4 lens.
    >>
    >> I want to adapt this lens for my Olympus
    >> E500, and then use manual focusing with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Are conversion mounts made for this
    >> purpose
    >> and where can I get one?

    > It can't be done. The back of the lens is
    > less than 3cm
    > from the film plane at the infinity
    > setting. It would get
    > in the way of the mirror. You are pretty
    > much limited to using
    > that lens on Contax and Kiev rangefinders.
    > (It will fit on a
    > Nikon rangefinder, but the focus will be
    > slightly off at close
    > distances.)
    >
    > If you have a Contax rangefinder - try
    > using it. They are
    > wonderful cameras.
    >
    > Peter.
    > --

    Thanks,
    The camera was little used but seems to be
    gummed up, possibly with lubricant, and I
    can't get anyone to service it. I guess
    I'll just have to try myself.
    http://yandr.50megs.com/zeiss/contax3/c3.htm
    Also, the light meter has stopped working,
    and nobody knows anything about it.

    Anyway, I have just bought the Olympus prime
    lens 50mmF2.0 and the sharpness is far better
    than I Olympus zooms I have.

    Peter Jason, Jun 7, 2008
  5. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "Yoshi" <> wrote in
    message

    > "Peter Jason" <> wrote in
    > message
    >> Mother's old camera was a Zeiss-Contax
    >> IIIa which has a good fast F1.4 lens.
    >>
    >> I want to adapt this lens for my Olympus
    >> E500, and then use manual focusing with
    >> it.
    >>
    >> Are conversion mounts made for this
    >> purpose and where can I get one?
    >>
    >> Please help, PJ
    >>

    > Olympus makes wonderful lenses for their
    > DSLRs. Why not use them?
    >
    > Yoshi

    Yes the F2.0 50mm prime is very good indeed;
    I have just started using it.

    Peter Jason, Jun 7, 2008
  6. Peter Jason

    Peter Jason Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote
    in message

    > "Peter Jason" <> wrote:
    >> Thanks,
    >> The camera was little used but seems to be
    >> gummed up, possibly with lubricant, and I
    >> can't get anyone to service it. I guess
    >> I'll just have to try myself.
    >> http://yandr.50megs.com/zeiss/contax3/c3.htm
    >> Also, the light meter has stopped working,
    >> and nobody knows anything about it.

    > The people to ask are KEH.
    > http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx
    >
    > They are highly respected; if you want a
    > used camera or lens that works, they're the
    > place to go. Which means they have service
    > staff that are competent. So they might be
    > willing to give it a "CLA" (clean,
    > lubricate, and adjust) for a fair price. Of
    > course, there's also shipping.
    >
    > The light meter is probably not repairable,
    > though.
    >
    > By the way, that's a nice camera. If you
    > get it fixed up, it's actually worth some
    > amount of money.
    >
    > http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Prod...&ID=113&BC=CY&BCC=8&CC=1&CCC=1&BCL=&GBC=&GCC=
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Thanks, I have contacted the above about
    service & repair.

    Peter Jason, Jun 7, 2008
  7. Peter Jason

    Peter Irwin Guest

    Peter Jason <> wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > The camera was little used but seems to be
    > gummed up, possibly with lubricant, and I
    > can't get anyone to service it. I guess
    > I'll just have to try myself.

    I would second David's suggestion of KEH. <www.keh.com>
    if you can't find a local shop to service it.

    It isn't a good idea to try to learn camera repair
    on a nice camera which is worth considerably more
    than a professional repair bill. The odds of seriously
    messing up the first camera you try to fix are too high.
    If you want to learn Contax repair, you should buy a Kiev.

    > http://yandr.50megs.com/zeiss/contax3/c3.htm
    > Also, the light meter has stopped working,
    > and nobody knows anything about it.

    Very few old selenium meters are accurate even
    if the needle moves. I would not bother trying to get
    the meter repaired. Oddly enough, the one on my Kiev 4
    is spot on, but it is certainly the exception. I like
    my Sekonic L208 handheld meter very much. With negative
    film it is not difficult to learn to guess well enough for most
    conditions especially if you de-rate the film by one stop.

    > Anyway, I have just bought the Olympus prime
    > lens 50mmF2.0 and the sharpness is far better
    > than I Olympus zooms I have.

    That sounds good. While your 50mm f/1.5 lens is a famous
    1930s design by Bertele, a modern Japanese 50mm can be
    just as good. (The old lens is as good as it is because
    the people at Zeiss did thousands of pages of calculations
    by hand for that lens. Computers have made good lens design
    much more common and less expensive.)

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Jun 7, 2008
  8. Ï "Peter Irwin" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> The camera was little used but seems to be
    >> gummed up, possibly with lubricant, and I
    >> can't get anyone to service it. I guess
    >> I'll just have to try myself.

    > I would second David's suggestion of KEH. <www.keh.com>
    > if you can't find a local shop to service it.
    >
    > It isn't a good idea to try to learn camera repair
    > on a nice camera which is worth considerably more
    > than a professional repair bill. The odds of seriously
    > messing up the first camera you try to fix are too high.
    > If you want to learn Contax repair, you should buy a Kiev.
    >
    >> http://yandr.50megs.com/zeiss/contax3/c3.htm
    >> Also, the light meter has stopped working,
    >> and nobody knows anything about it.

    > Very few old selenium meters are accurate even
    > if the needle moves. I would not bother trying to get
    > the meter repaired. Oddly enough, the one on my Kiev 4
    > is spot on, but it is certainly the exception. I like
    > my Sekonic L208 handheld meter very much. With negative
    > film it is not difficult to learn to guess well enough for most
    > conditions especially if you de-rate the film by one stop.
    >
    >> Anyway, I have just bought the Olympus prime
    >> lens 50mmF2.0 and the sharpness is far better
    >> than I Olympus zooms I have.

    > That sounds good. While your 50mm f/1.5 lens is a famous
    > 1930s design by Bertele, a modern Japanese 50mm can be
    > just as good. (The old lens is as good as it is because
    > the people at Zeiss did thousands of pages of calculations
    > by hand for that lens. Computers have made good lens design
    > much more common and less expensive.)

    I'm quite getting at it. To pass one of the most difficult subjects in
    electrical engineering, you had to calculate a problem that needed 4 pages
    of calculations, only with your scientific calculator. It included complex
    numbers, hyperbolic sin and cos, matrixes etc. If you made a 4th decimal
    point error, the whole problem would be wrong, and your degree would fly.
    (Like 1.1234 instead of 1.1235). So, I can imagine what it would be to do
    thousands of pages of calculations by hand! Very impressive.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 7, 2008
  9. Ï "Peter Jason" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > "Peter Irwin" <> wrote in message
    >> Peter Jason <> wrote:
    >>> Mother's old camera was a Zeiss-Contax IIIa
    >>> which has a good fast F1.4 lens.
    >>>
    >>> I want to adapt this lens for my Olympus
    >>> E500, and then use manual focusing with it.
    >>>
    >>> Are conversion mounts made for this purpose
    >>> and where can I get one?

    >> It can't be done. The back of the lens is less than 3cm
    >> from the film plane at the infinity setting. It would get
    >> in the way of the mirror. You are pretty much limited to using
    >> that lens on Contax and Kiev rangefinders. (It will fit on a
    >> Nikon rangefinder, but the focus will be slightly off at close
    >> distances.)
    >>
    >> If you have a Contax rangefinder - try using it. They are
    >> wonderful cameras.
    >>
    >> Peter.
    >> --
    >>

    > Thanks,
    > The camera was little used but seems to be gummed up, possibly with
    > lubricant, and I can't get anyone to service it. I guess I'll just have
    > to try myself.
    > http://yandr.50megs.com/zeiss/contax3/c3.htm
    > Also, the light meter has stopped working, and nobody knows anything about
    > it.
    >
    > Anyway, I have just bought the Olympus prime lens 50mmF2.0 and the
    > sharpness is far better than I Olympus zooms I have.

    .....And that would be a good chance to practice your german.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 7, 2008