    again?

    Thanks,
    Alt
    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 15:46:45 GMT, "Alt-Ctrl-Del"
    <AltCtrlDel@äää.òÕÿÿÿÿâÞ> wrote:

    >Hello smart people,
    >
    >I use a regular dial up connection to connect to the Internet. I have
    >call waiting but do not wish to pay extra for some crappy little program
    >that makes the phone # of a person trying to call while you are online pop
    >up when they call. Even if there is a free program to make the callers
    >number pop up, I don't really want it.
    >
    >What I want is to have it like it used to be many years ago. About 10
    >years ago when I first got online, if I received a telephone call when I
    >was online I would simply be knocked off-line automatically and the phone
    >call would come through. There was no extra software, no downloads, no
    >charges, it was all free and that's just the way it was.
    >
    >Are there any settings that I could change or modify to make it this way
    >again?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Alt

    If your modem is V92 capable, AND your ISP supports it, you should
    already have that capability.
    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    TNKEV Guest

    Alt-Ctrl-Del wrote:
    > Hello smart people,
    >
    > I use a regular dial up connection to connect to the Internet. I

    have
    > call waiting but do not wish to pay extra for some crappy little

    program
    > that makes the phone # of a person trying to call while you are

    online pop
    > up when they call. Even if there is a free program to make the

    callers
    > number pop up, I don't really want it.
    >
    > What I want is to have it like it used to be many years ago. About

    10
    > years ago when I first got online, if I received a telephone call

    when I
    > was online I would simply be knocked off-line automatically and the

    phone
    > call would come through. There was no extra software, no downloads,

    no
    > charges, it was all free and that's just the way it was.
    >
    > Are there any settings that I could change or modify to make it this

    way
    > again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alt

    if you *want* to be kicked off when a call comes in then you need to
    disable dialing *70,you need to go to the control panel and select
    "network/dial up connections"and uncheck "dial *70"IIRC
    TNKEV, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Trax Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <AltCtrlDel@äää.òÕÿÿÿÿâÞ> wrote:

    |>Hello smart people,
    |>
    |>I use a regular dial up connection to connect to the Internet. I have
    |>call waiting but do not wish to pay extra for some crappy little program
    |>that makes the phone # of a person trying to call while you are online pop
    |>up when they call. Even if there is a free program to make the callers
    |>number pop up, I don't really want it.
    |>
    |>What I want is to have it like it used to be many years ago. About 10
    |>years ago when I first got online, if I received a telephone call when I
    |>was online I would simply be knocked off-line automatically and the phone
    |>call would come through. There was no extra software, no downloads, no
    |>charges, it was all free and that's just the way it was.
    |>
    |>Are there any settings that I could change or modify to make it this way
    |>again?

    In your modem string put: S10=255
    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6226-954508,00.html

    This increases the time the modem waits to drop carrier on loss of
    signal.

    --
    Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99
    Trax, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Trax Guest

    Trax <> wrote:

    |>In your modem string put: S10=255
    |>http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6226-954508,00.html
    |>
    |>This increases the time the modem waits to drop carrier on loss of
    |>signal.

    Seems I misread your message, becoming common for me lately.

    The above string is to keep you from being knocked off, never heard of
    anyone wishing to be disconnected before.

    Might try starting the S10 setting at 10 and work up until your modem
    stays connected until a call comes thru.

    Trax, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Thoronwen Guest

    In article <FzS0f.10547$>,
    AltCtrlDel@äää.òÕÿÿÿÿâÞ says...
    > Hello smart people,
    >
    > I use a regular dial up connection to connect to the Internet. I have
    > call waiting but do not wish to pay extra for some crappy little program
    > that makes the phone # of a person trying to call while you are online pop
    > up when they call. Even if there is a free program to make the callers
    > number pop up, I don't really want it.
    >
    > What I want is to have it like it used to be many years ago. About 10
    > years ago when I first got online, if I received a telephone call when I
    > was online I would simply be knocked off-line automatically and the phone
    > call would come through. There was no extra software, no downloads, no
    > charges, it was all free and that's just the way it was.
    >
    > Are there any settings that I could change or modify to make it this way
    > again?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Alt

    Hi Alt,

    You've already received some good replies, but I'll add my two cents
    worth.

    It depends in part on the model of your modem. Some are better able to
    break the connection for an incoming call than are others. Most, however,
    are designed to perform "error correction" and they can't tell the
    difference between an error that needs correcting and an incoming call.

    If you can contact the company that made the modem, they might be able to
    supply a specific init string. Otherwise, Trax's generic advice "try
    starting the S10 setting at 10 and work up" is a great place to start.

    As mentioned elsewhere, you do need Call Waiting, and it must not be
    disabled.

    I know you mentioned not wanting extra software, but are you willing to
    install the Call Notification software that should come with a v.92
    modem? Does your ISP support v.92?

    Personally, I'm thinking of purchasing another Catch-A-Call. When my
    first one died I bought a v.92 modem. The Catch-A-Call was more reliable;
    sometimes the v.92 modem's software reports an incoming call when there
    isn't one (or the caller has already hung up) plus the reconnect fails
    regularly.

    Let us know your progress. You never know how many lurkers are searching
    for such information.

    Thoronwen
    Thoronwen, Oct 7, 2005
  7. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    "Thoronwen" <> wrote in message
    > In article <FzS0f.10547$>,
    > AltCtrlDel@äää.òÕÿÿÿÿâÞ says...
    >> Hello smart people,
    >>
    >> I use a regular dial up connection to connect to the Internet. I have
    >> call waiting but do not wish to pay extra for some crappy little
    >> program
    >> that makes the phone # of a person trying to call while you are online
    >> pop
    >> up when they call. Even if there is a free program to make the callers
    >> number pop up, I don't really want it.
    >>
    >> What I want is to have it like it used to be many years ago. About 10
    >> years ago when I first got online, if I received a telephone call when
    >> was online I would simply be knocked off-line automatically and the
    >> phone
    >> call would come through. There was no extra software, no downloads, no
    >> charges, it was all free and that's just the way it was.
    >>
    >> Are there any settings that I could change or modify to make it this
    >> way
    >> again?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Alt

    > Hi Alt,
    >
    > You've already received some good replies, but I'll add my two cents
    > worth.
    >
    > It depends in part on the model of your modem. Some are better able to
    > break the connection for an incoming call than are others. Most,
    > however,
    > are designed to perform "error correction" and they can't tell the
    > difference between an error that needs correcting and an incoming call.
    >
    > If you can contact the company that made the modem, they might be able
    > supply a specific init string. Otherwise, Trax's generic advice "try
    > starting the S10 setting at 10 and work up" is a great place to start.
    >
    > As mentioned elsewhere, you do need Call Waiting, and it must not be
    > disabled.
    >
    > I know you mentioned not wanting extra software, but are you willing to
    > install the Call Notification software that should come with a v.92
    > modem? Does your ISP support v.92?
    >
    > Personally, I'm thinking of purchasing another Catch-A-Call. When my
    > first one died I bought a v.92 modem. The Catch-A-Call was more
    > reliable;
    > sometimes the v.92 modem's software reports an incoming call when there
    > isn't one (or the caller has already hung up) plus the reconnect fails
    > regularly.
    >
    > Let us know your progress. You never know how many lurkers are searching
    > for such information.
    >
    > Thoronwen

    Thoronwen, Traxx, TNKEV, Mike,

    Thank you all very much for the suggestions. Sorry it took so long to
    reply. I never tried any of the suggestions because the next day I was
    fortunate enough to be able to install a cable connection. So, I do not
    have to worry about it either way now.

    Alt
    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 13, 2005