    Can anyone explain how to do it in laymans terms as my 18yr old is overseas.

    Any gentle help much appreciated,
    T.

    Tana, Jan 25, 2006

  2. Tana

    Tana Guest

    Tana wrote:
    > This has probably been asked before but bear with me please.
    >
    > The shop reformatted hard drive but saved all my files that were on it
    > first and then laid them back on the drive in a single folder.
    >
    > I have XP on the reformatted drive and I installed a new version of
    > Tbird. I am having problems getting old files, settings, etc... from the
    > folder back into Tbird.
    >
    > Can anyone explain how to do it in laymans terms as my 18yr old is
    > overseas.
    >
    > Any gentle help much appreciated,
    > T.

    If this is any help...

    I was just having a nosey in
    "C:Old C drive\Programs Files/Mozilla Thunderbird" in the relaid folder
    I was talking about and found a "thunderbird.exe 7365KB Application"
    If I reinstalled from this application, would it restore my old files,
    settings, emails, etc..
    If yes would I need to delete the new installation of Thunderbird I have
    working now, first.
    If not, thanks for listening

    Cheers T.

    Tana, Jan 25, 2006

  3. Tana wrote:
    > Tana wrote:
    >> This has probably been asked before but bear with me please.
    >>
    >> The shop reformatted hard drive but saved all my files that were on it
    >> first and then laid them back on the drive in a single folder.
    >>
    >> I have XP on the reformatted drive and I installed a new version of
    >> Tbird. I am having problems getting old files, settings, etc... from
    >> the folder back into Tbird.
    >>
    >> Can anyone explain how to do it in laymans terms as my 18yr old is
    >> overseas.
    >>
    >> Any gentle help much appreciated,
    >> T.

    > If this is any help...
    >
    > I was just having a nosey in
    > "C:Old C drive\Programs Files/Mozilla Thunderbird" in the relaid folder
    > I was talking about and found a "thunderbird.exe 7365KB Application"
    > If I reinstalled from this application, would it restore my old files,
    > settings, emails, etc..
    > If yes would I need to delete the new installation of Thunderbird I have
    > working now, first.
    > If not, thanks for listening
    >
    > Cheers T.

    No it won't. Those are your old program files. Your mail data and
    settings are stored in your profile.

    Your profile is stored in separate location, to keep it safe.

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 25, 2006
  4. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Tana wrote:
    >> Tana wrote:
    >>> This has probably been asked before but bear with me please.
    >>>
    >>> The shop reformatted hard drive but saved all my files that were on
    >>> it first and then laid them back on the drive in a single folder.
    >>>
    >>> I have XP on the reformatted drive and I installed a new version of
    >>> Tbird. I am having problems getting old files, settings, etc... from
    >>> the folder back into Tbird.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone explain how to do it in laymans terms as my 18yr old is
    >>> overseas.
    >>>
    >>> Any gentle help much appreciated,
    >>> T.

    >> If this is any help...
    >>
    >> I was just having a nosey in
    >> "C:Old C drive\Programs Files/Mozilla Thunderbird" in the relaid
    >> folder I was talking about and found a "thunderbird.exe 7365KB
    >> Application"
    >> If I reinstalled from this application, would it restore my old files,
    >> settings, emails, etc..
    >> If yes would I need to delete the new installation of Thunderbird I
    >> have working now, first.
    >> If not, thanks for listening
    >>
    >> Cheers T.

    > No it won't. Those are your old program files. Your mail data and
    > settings are stored in your profile.
    >
    > Your profile is stored in separate location, to keep it safe.

    Sorry, how did I manage to send that one before finishing.

    Profile location on XP:

    C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Thunderbird

    Did that get saved from your old hard drive?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 25, 2006
  5. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Tana wrote:

    >>> If this is any help...
    >>>
    >>> I was just having a nosey in
    >>> "C:Old C drive\Programs Files/Mozilla Thunderbird" in the relaid
    >>> folder I was talking about and found a "thunderbird.exe 7365KB
    >>> Application"
    >>> If I reinstalled from this application, would it restore my old
    >>> files, settings, emails, etc..
    >>> If yes would I need to delete the new installation of Thunderbird I
    >>> have working now, first.
    >>> If not, thanks for listening
    >>>
    >>> Cheers T.

    >> No it won't. Those are your old program files. Your mail data and
    >> settings are stored in your profile.
    >>
    >> Your profile is stored in separate location, to keep it safe.
    >>

    > Sorry, how did I manage to send that one before finishing.
    >
    > Profile location on XP:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Thunderbird
    >
    > Did that get saved from your old hard drive?
    >
    > Lee

    and you might want to read up on profiles and relocating:

    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 25, 2006
  6. Tana

    Tana Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:

    >>> No it won't. Those are your old program files. Your mail data and
    >>> settings are stored in your profile.
    >>>
    >>> Your profile is stored in separate location, to keep it safe.
    >>>

    >> Sorry, how did I manage to send that one before finishing.
    >>
    >> Profile location on XP:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Thunderbird
    >>
    >> Did that get saved from your old hard drive?
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > and you might want to read up on profiles and relocating:
    >
    > http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    Thanks you so far but!!!!!

    Followed the instructions to find my previous profile as on these sites
    but... because I was using WIN98 on the saved hard drive and there is no
    WINDOWS File on the "C:Old C drive" I can't locate it.
    Where to now?
    Cheers T.

    Tana, Jan 26, 2006
  7. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tana wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Sorry, how did I manage to send that one before finishing.
    >>>
    >>> Profile location on XP:
    >>>
    >>> C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Thunderbird
    >>>
    >>> Did that get saved from your old hard drive?
    >>>
    >>> Lee
    >>>

    >> and you might want to read up on profiles and relocating:
    >>
    >> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    >> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >>

    > Thanks you so far but!!!!!
    >
    > Followed the instructions to find my previous profile as on these sites
    > but... because I was using WIN98 on the saved hard drive and there is no
    > WINDOWS File on the "C:Old C drive" I can't locate it.
    > Where to now?
    > Cheers T.

    If they did not save/copy the whole Windows folder /and/ did not copy
    your profile folder, it's gone unless you have another backup somewhere.
    You might search the drive for "profiles" and see if they did copy the
    data from the Windows folder and put it somewhere not obvious.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 26, 2006
  8. Tana

    Tana Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Tana wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> and you might want to read up on profiles and relocating:
    >>>
    >>> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    >>> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >>>

    >> Thanks you so far but!!!!!
    >>
    >> Followed the instructions to find my previous profile as on these
    >> sites but... because I was using WIN98 on the saved hard drive and
    >> there is no WINDOWS File on the "C:Old C drive" I can't locate it.
    >> Where to now?
    >> Cheers T.

    > If they did not save/copy the whole Windows folder /and/ did not copy
    > your profile folder, it's gone unless you have another backup somewhere.
    > You might search the drive for "profiles" and see if they did copy the
    > data from the Windows folder and put it somewhere not obvious.

    I did find an old backup copy of Thunderbird I made in April 05.
    Any use?
    Cheers T.

    Tana, Jan 27, 2006
  9. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tana wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Tana wrote:

    >>> Thanks you so far but!!!!!
    >>>
    >>> Followed the instructions to find my previous profile as on these
    >>> sites but... because I was using WIN98 on the saved hard drive and
    >>> there is no WINDOWS File on the "C:Old C drive" I can't locate it.
    >>> Where to now?
    >>> Cheers T.

    >> If they did not save/copy the whole Windows folder /and/ did not copy
    >> your profile folder, it's gone unless you have another backup
    >> somewhere. You might search the drive for "profiles" and see if they
    >> did copy the data from the Windows folder and put it somewhere not
    >> obvious.
    >>

    > I did find an old backup copy of Thunderbird I made in April 05.
    > Any use?
    > Cheers T.

    A backup of Thunderbird's /program/ location folders? Or a backup of
    your Thunderbird user profile? Two vastly different things. In the case
    of the first, no, it's of no use. In the case of the second, yes, that
    could very well be a great salvation.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 27, 2006
  10. Tana

    Tana Guest

    >> I did find an old backup copy of Thunderbird I made in April 05.
    >> Any use?
    >> Cheers T.

    > A backup of Thunderbird's /program/ location folders? Or a backup of
    > your Thunderbird user profile? Two vastly different things. In the case
    > of the first, no, it's of no use. In the case of the second, yes, that
    > could very well be a great salvation.

    OK here is what I have.

    C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird
    Profile\Thunderbird\Profiles\d2odzrwm.default

    In this Folder are
    Chrome,
    Extensions,
    Mail,
    News
    plus 21 other files.

    In the Mail Folder are 8 Folders.
    a,
    Local Folders,
    mail.(sons old school account)
    mail.optusnet.com-1.au
    mail.optusnet.com.au
    pop.ihug.com-1.au
    pop.ihug.com.au
    ss

    (optusnet is current ISP, ihug is previous ISP)

    Also these files

    C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\profiles.ini

    C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\registry.dat

    Thanks T.

    Tana, Jan 27, 2006
  11. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tana wrote:
    >>> I did find an old backup copy of Thunderbird I made in April 05.
    >>> Any use?
    >>> Cheers T.

    >> A backup of Thunderbird's /program/ location folders? Or a backup of
    >> your Thunderbird user profile? Two vastly different things. In the
    >> case of the first, no, it's of no use. In the case of the second,
    >> yes, that could very well be a great salvation.
    >>

    > OK here is what I have.
    >
    > C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird
    > Profile\Thunderbird\Profiles\d2odzrwm.default
    >
    > In this Folder are
    > Chrome,
    > Extensions,
    > Mail,
    > News
    > plus 21 other files.
    >
    > In the Mail Folder are 8 Folders.
    > a,
    > Local Folders,
    > mail.(sons old school account)
    > mail.optusnet.com-1.au
    > mail.optusnet.com.au
    > pop.ihug.com-1.au
    > pop.ihug.com.au
    > ss
    >
    > (optusnet is current ISP, ihug is previous ISP)
    >

    > Also these files
    >
    > C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\profiles.ini
    >
    > C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\registry.dat
    >
    > Thanks T.

    OK! That's your profile. In which is contained all the "good" stuff:
    bookmarks, mail messages, preferences, customizations, etc. Excellent!

    Now. Restoring them will be a multi-stage process.

    1. What do you want to recover? Bookmarks? Mail?
    2. Develop a process for the recovery. You can't just start copying
    stuff. You have to do it in a way that doesn't overwrite current stuff
    - stuff that has been developed since that last save.

    So, refresh my memory. What exactly are you trying to recover?

    Again, I refer you to these resources regarding the structure of a
    Mozilla-based application's profile:

    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html

    PLEASE! Read and understand this info before proceeding. Kay? We are
    not dealing with a one-button solution here. You've been through a very
    destructive event. The recovery is every bit as delicate and tedious as
    the destruction's consequences.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 28, 2006
  12. Tana

    Tana Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> A backup of Thunderbird's /program/ location folders? Or a backup of
    >>> your Thunderbird user profile? Two vastly different things. In the
    >>> case of the first, no, it's of no use. In the case of the second,
    >>> yes, that could very well be a great salvation.
    >>>

    >> OK here is what I have.
    >>
    >> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird
    >> Profile\Thunderbird\Profiles\d2odzrwm.default
    >>
    >> In this Folder are
    >> Chrome,
    >> Extensions,
    >> Mail,
    >> News
    >> plus 21 other files.
    >>
    >> In the Mail Folder are 8 Folders.
    >> a,
    >> Local Folders,
    >> mail.(sons old school account)
    >> mail.optusnet.com-1.au
    >> mail.optusnet.com.au
    >> pop.ihug.com-1.au
    >> pop.ihug.com.au
    >> ss
    >>
    >> (optusnet is current ISP, ihug is previous ISP)
    >>

    >> Also these files
    >>
    >> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\profiles.ini
    >>
    >> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\registry.dat
    >>
    >> Thanks T.

    > OK! That's your profile. In which is contained all the "good" stuff:
    > bookmarks, mail messages, preferences, customizations, etc. Excellent!
    >
    > Now. Restoring them will be a multi-stage process.
    >
    > 1. What do you want to recover? Bookmarks? Mail?
    > 2. Develop a process for the recovery. You can't just start copying
    > stuff. You have to do it in a way that doesn't overwrite current stuff
    > - stuff that has been developed since that last save.

    [My recent emails I have copied into Outlook Express to Import later if
    necessary]

    > So, refresh my memory. What exactly are you trying to recover?

    [At this stage just my Mail will suffice.
    (I am presuming both Inbox & Outbox recovery is possible)]

    > Again, I refer you to these resources regarding the structure of a
    > Mozilla-based application's profile:
    >
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    > http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    > http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >
    > PLEASE! Read and understand this info before proceeding. Kay? We are
    > not dealing with a one-button solution here. You've been through a very
    > destructive event. The recovery is every bit as delicate and tedious as
    > the destruction's consequences.

    Thanks again for all you help. You will know I am a novice and I
    appreciate the time you are taking.

    Cheers, Tana

    Tana, Jan 28, 2006
  13. Tana

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tana wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> OK here is what I have.
    >>>
    >>> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird
    >>> Profile\Thunderbird\Profiles\d2odzrwm.default
    >>>
    >>> In this Folder are
    >>> Chrome,
    >>> Extensions,
    >>> Mail,
    >>> News
    >>> plus 21 other files.
    >>>
    >>> In the Mail Folder are 8 Folders.
    >>> a,
    >>> Local Folders,
    >>> mail.(sons old school account)
    >>> mail.optusnet.com-1.au
    >>> mail.optusnet.com.au
    >>> pop.ihug.com-1.au
    >>> pop.ihug.com.au
    >>> ss
    >>>
    >>> (optusnet is current ISP, ihug is previous ISP)
    >>>

    >>> Also these files
    >>>
    >>> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\profiles.ini
    >>>
    >>> C:\Old C drive\Backup Thunderbird Profile\Thunderbird\registry.dat
    >>>
    >>> Thanks T.

    >> OK! That's your profile. In which is contained all the "good" stuff:
    >> bookmarks, mail messages, preferences, customizations, etc. Excellent!
    >>
    >> Now. Restoring them will be a multi-stage process.
    >>
    >> 1. What do you want to recover? Bookmarks? Mail?
    >> 2. Develop a process for the recovery. You can't just start copying
    >> stuff. You have to do it in a way that doesn't overwrite current
    >> stuff - stuff that has been developed since that last save.

    > [My recent emails I have copied into Outlook Express to Import later if
    > necessary]
    >

    >> So, refresh my memory. What exactly are you trying to recover?

    > [At this stage just my Mail will suffice.
    > (I am presuming both Inbox & Outbox recovery is possible)]
    >

    >> Again, I refer you to these resources regarding the structure of a
    >> Mozilla-based application's profile:
    >>
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_profile.html
    >> http://ilias.ca/mozilla/profilefaq/
    >> http://users.adelphia.net/~irwingreenwald/About Profiles.html
    >>
    >> PLEASE! Read and understand this info before proceeding. Kay? We are
    >> not dealing with a one-button solution here. You've been through a
    >> very destructive event. The recovery is every bit as delicate and
    >> tedious as the destruction's consequences.

    > Thanks again for all you help. You will know I am a novice and I
    > appreciate the time you are taking.
    >
    > Cheers, Tana

    Happy to help. Let us know if you need more help.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 29, 2006