    Now working at http://www.newonlineshopping.net

    Books, Clothing and Accessories, Computers,
    Electronics, Gifts, Jewelry and Watches.

    Stefano, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Stefano

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Stefano <> wrote:
    >Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    >digital.
    >
    >But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    >digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    >photography).

    That depends upon how much you wont to spend, what lenses you have
    that might be usable, and what your personal preference is. Canon
    and Nikon are the two biggest players in the field and I would not
    go to far afield in buying a dSLR.

    You can find lots of information at www.dpreview.com

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jun 16, 2007

  3. On Jun 16, 8:20 am, Stefano <> wrote:
    > Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    > digital.
    >
    > But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    > digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    > photography).
    >
    > --
    > Now working athttp://www.newonlineshopping.net
    >
    > Books, Clothing and Accessories, Computers,
    > Electronics, Gifts, Jewelry and Watches.

    By reflex, do you mean single lens or twin lens reflex? I'll assume
    you mean the SLR for now.

    You might consider sticking with the brand you use with film. The
    digital SLRs seem to retain at least some of the "look and feel" of
    their parentage company. Also, if your lenses are recent enough, they
    may work with the digital.

    This is what we did a few years ago. We had always used Olympus, but
    a few years ago they stopped making film SLRs. My wife lusted after
    one of those wide range zooms, those 28 to 300 mm jobs. Unfortunately
    they did not make the lens for the Oly, since they didn't make that
    kind of camera anymore. So she bought a Nikon body and the lens she
    wanted. She loved it.

    But, she was making a series of trips to China and Japan, and didn't
    like the hassle of having dozens of rolls of film inspected and
    decided she wanted to go digital (which I, of course, strongly
    supported). So we got a Nikon D50, and the lenses she bought for the
    N75 work fine. We are delighted with both cameras, but use the film
    one VERY rarely now.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jun 16, 2007
  4. Stefano

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:20:58 +0200, Stefano wrote:

    > Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    > digital.
    >
    > But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    > digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    > photography).

    Describe the type of photography you'd be using the camera for, as
    well as any size preferences and the cost range you'd want to stay
    within. Certain types of photography would call for a DSLR,
    regardless of cost, many others wouldn't.

    ASAAR, Jun 16, 2007
  5. "Stefano" <> wrote:

    > Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    > digital.

    If by "reflex" you mean Rolleiflex TLR and you still have one, don't get a
    digital camera, get a Nikon 9000 and keep shooting film. Even the 5D can't
    compete with 56x56mm of film _if you are composing to the square_.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jun 16, 2007
  6. Stefano wrote:
    > Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    > digital.
    >
    > But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    > digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    > photography).

    What are the two best lenses you own?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Jun 16, 2007
  7. Stefano

    Jim Guest

    "Stefano" <> wrote in message
    > Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    > digital.
    >
    > But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    > digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    > photography).
    >
    > --
    > Now working at http://www.newonlineshopping.net
    >
    > Books, Clothing and Accessories, Computers,
    > Electronics, Gifts, Jewelry and Watches.

    For starters, one that fits your budget.
    Secondly, one that your current set of lenses will fit.
    Thirdly, one that has enough megapixels to allow you to make good prints of
    the size that you want.

    In short, the answer depends on too many unstated factors for any useful
    reply.
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 16, 2007
  8. Stefano

    Noon Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:17:45 -0500, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >"Stefano" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello, I'm an old reflex enthusiast, I've got many cameras, no one is
    >> digital.
    >>
    >> But now I want to try a digital one, considering I'm not an expert in
    >> digital field, what camera would you suggest me? (but I'm an expert in
    >> photography).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Now working at http://www.newonlineshopping.net
    >>
    >> Books, Clothing and Accessories, Computers,
    >> Electronics, Gifts, Jewelry and Watches.

    >For starters, one that fits your budget.
    >Secondly, one that your current set of lenses will fit.
    >Thirdly, one that has enough megapixels to allow you to make good prints of
    >the size that you want.
    >
    >In short, the answer depends on too many unstated factors for any useful
    >reply.
    >Jim

    There are also several magazines which list current cameras with
    plenty of info about them and their suitability level (at least here
    in the UK there are, and I can't imagine world-wide there's any
    shortage of that sort of publication).

    Noon, Jun 16, 2007
  9. Stefano

    Stefano Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:34:53 GMT, Noon <> wrote:

    >There are also several magazines which list current cameras with
    >plenty of info about them and their suitability level (at least here
    >in the UK there are, and I can't imagine world-wide there's any
    >shortage of that sort of publication).

    thank you so much for all your replies...

    I think I'll buy a Nikon D80, it should work with my Nikkor 35-200
    that I love so much.

    I made so many photos with it you can't imagine.

    As soon as I'll have the camera, and after studying it a bit, I'll
    post a review here.

    Stefano, Jun 16, 2007
  10. Stefano

    Jim Guest

    "Stefano" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 19:34:53 GMT, Noon <> wrote:
    >
    >>There are also several magazines which list current cameras with
    >>plenty of info about them and their suitability level (at least here
    >>in the UK there are, and I can't imagine world-wide there's any
    >>shortage of that sort of publication).

    > thank you so much for all your replies...
    >
    > I think I'll buy a Nikon D80, it should work with my Nikkor 35-200
    > that I love so much.

    It will if your lens is AF. If your lens is AI-S, it will also work with
    rather serious limitations.
    Jim

    Jim, Jun 16, 2007
  11. In article <WLZci.4247$>, Jim
    <> wrote:

    > It will if your lens is AF. If your lens is AI-S, it will also work with
    > rather serious limitations.

    Sadly, the 35-200 was available (I believe) only as an AIS lens. No AF
    version. Perhaps he should look into the D200?

    Scott Schuckert, Jun 17, 2007
  12. Stefano

    Jim Guest

    "Scott Schuckert" <> wrote in message
    > In article <WLZci.4247$>, Jim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> It will if your lens is AF. If your lens is AI-S, it will also work with
    >> rather serious limitations.

    > Sadly, the 35-200 was available (I believe) only as an AIS lens. No AF
    > version. Perhaps he should look into the D200?

    Only if he wants the lens to work as good as it did on his film camera.

    To the OP:

    The D80 has these limitations with AI-S lenses
    1. No electronic rangefinder. This may nor may not be important to you;
    however, the type B screen is not nearly as easy to use with respect
    to focusing as those you may have on your film cameras.
    2. No automatic exposure. You can certainly use the histogram to judge
    exposure, but it takes several shots to get this correct.

    At least, though, the D80 does not require use of G lenses.
    The D200 costs more, but it does not have those limitations.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 17, 2007