    16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
    THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    Thanks for any help.
    Why, Nov 25, 2007

  2. Why

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:33:40 -0600, Why wrote:

    >The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
    >name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
    >alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
    >
    >Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
    >computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
    >icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.

    <snip>

    You didn't need to mention the exe name or the nvidia driver version,
    but you can deal with that.

    >If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
    >this.
    >16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
    >THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

    Very common message, many causes.

    >Thanks for any help.

    www.google.com

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 10,500 English pages for
    THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    .. (0.13 seconds)

    Search adding nvidia and a few other terms to narrow down the possible
    hits.

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,040 English pages for
    tHe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. nvidia
    .. (0.39 seconds)

    Already reduced to 1/10th with 1 keyword.

    Me
    why?, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Why

    *alan* Guest

    > On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 09:33:40 -0600, Why wrote:
    >
    >>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
    >>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
    >>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
    >>
    >>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
    >>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
    >>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.

    > <snip>
    >
    > You didn't need to mention the exe name or the nvidia driver version,
    > but you can deal with that.
    >
    >>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
    >>this.
    >>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
    >>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

    > Very common message, many causes.
    >
    >>Thanks for any help.

    > www.google.com
    >
    > Web Results 1 - 10 of about 10,500 English pages for
    > THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    > . (0.13 seconds)
    >
    > Search adding nvidia and a few other terms to narrow down the possible
    > hits.
    >
    > Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,040 English pages for
    > tHe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. nvidia
    > . (0.39 seconds)
    >
    > Already reduced to 1/10th with 1 keyword.
    >
    > Me

    Wow. google's amazing, isn't it? You can even bring it down to 325 pages if
    you phrase your search as follows:
    "THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction" nvidia
    What I also find amazing is that proponents of the "don't-ask-here,
    ask-google" dictum seem to be themselves embarrassingly ignorant of the use
    of double quotes to indicate an exact string . . . by the way, google will
    ignore your totally unnecessary periods, as it will other punctuation marks.
    *alan*, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Why

    Why Guest

    >The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
    >name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
    >alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
    >
    >Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
    >computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
    >icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.
    >
    >I have tried all the settings pif & it just will not work right.
    >
    >THis is on a new Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with nVIDIA 6100. Other computer
    >has ATI graphics. All the other old prgs run fine.
    >
    >If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
    >this.
    >16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
    >THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >Thanks for any help.

    OK, what fixed it was un checking in properties Uses HMA. On the other
    computer that has been checked for years & works fine. Guess the fact
    that it has 98 installed even though I boot in XP.
    Why, Nov 27, 2007
  5. Why

    chuckcar Guest

    Why <> wrote in

    >>The only way it will run is if I open a DOS box & type the exe file
    >>name. Then when I close it down it stays at the screen. I have to use
    >>alt-tab to get back to XP then click on the X-Close.
    >>
    >>Now this database program has been running just fine in XP on my other
    >>computer that is a duel boot with 98SE, in that I can just click the
    >>icon run then quit & it goes back to XP.
    >>
    >>I have tried all the settings pif & it just will not work right.
    >>
    >>THis is on a new Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 with nVIDIA 6100. Other computer
    >>has ATI graphics. All the other old prgs run fine.
    >>
    >>If I click on the icon in XP it tries to load then comes back with
    >>this.
    >>16 bit MS-DOS subsystem
    >>THe NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
    >>Thanks for any help.

    > OK, what fixed it was un checking in properties Uses HMA. On the other
    > computer that has been checked for years & works fine. Guess the fact
    > that it has 98 installed even though I boot in XP.

    Hmm. Sounds like you might want to run it under a dos 5/6 boot disk
    anyways, so you can use UMB's efficiently and perhaps give it EMS/XMS
    like it wants it.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 27, 2007