    read my old Lotus word pro files.

    Does anyone have any information on any of these possible headaches?

    Lu

    lu, Jan 14, 2005

  2. lu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "lu" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | I'd like to upgrade from win 98 to XP, but from what I read on the net,
    | it
    | seems XP will not support my old HP laserjet IIIp and possibly won't
    | read my old Lotus word pro files.
    |
    | Does anyone have any information on any of these possible headaches?
    |
    | Lu

    XP will support *all* HP laser printers. The drivers are built in. I have
    several older HP lasers at the office - not one of them has a problem under
    XP.

    I use Lotus WordPro (love it - great program!) version 9 (also part of Lotus
    Millenium Edition SmartSuite) and have no problems at all. In fact, I still
    have Amipro 3 .SAM files - WordPro in XP works perfect with them.

    If you have an older version of WordPro, I can't speak to compatibility.
    What I can do say that I only paid $15 for my Lotus SmartSuite ME. At that
    price, it's not really an exuse to hold back on upgrading to XP.

    If your version doesn't work, and you can't find an inexpensive copy of the
    Lotus programs you need, please let me know. I actually bought a couple
    extra...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2005

  3. lu

    lu Guest

    Amipro.Sam? I loved it, I still have the old samna 51/4 floppies
    someplace.

    I worried about the printer because there is a long thread on the HP
    forum, of complaints that XP does not have a decent driver for HPIIIp.
    I hope you're right!

    lu, Jan 14, 2005
  4. lu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "lu" <> wrote in message
    | Amipro.Sam? I loved it, I still have the old samna 51/4 floppies
    | someplace.
    |
    | I worried about the printer because there is a long thread on the HP
    | forum, of complaints that XP does not have a decent driver for HPIIIp.
    | I hope you're right!

    Well, that could be true - although HP is the company that provided the
    drivers to Microsoft in the first place. Do you have a link to that forum so
    I can look it over?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2005
  5. lu

    lu Guest

    lu, Jan 14, 2005
  6. lu

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "lu" <> wrote in message

    http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=197315
    | I think that should work, though you may have to be registered.

    Okay - I read through those, with great sympathy. Here's why: In 1998 I
    bought not one, but SEVERAL Canon BJC5000 printers. These were unique in
    that they print 11x17 paper. I used them for posters at work, for folder
    covers, etc. The tabloid size was great, and practically unique. But! Canon
    wrote their last driver for W2k, and refused to release any drivers for XP.
    There is a guy who hacked it and wrote "BJC Angel" which allowed some
    functionality of the printer in XP, but not the tabloid paper and some of
    the other 'features'.

    So I was forced to do what some users at that IIIP thread did: dual boot. I
    had a Win98 partition, and an XP partition. If I generated something in XP,
    I saved it to the W98 drive, and rebooted, printed it, rebooted, and went
    back to XP. The second scenario wasn't so pretty: I've since relocated those
    three printers (almost $1200!) out to remote offices still using W98, and no
    longer do any 11x17 printing.

    The 'dual boot' is a really 'sucko' workaround, but if you do graphics on
    your IIIP, it may be the best solution. (Apparently, the text isn't too bad,
    only the graphics.) Me, at the cost of a high resolution color inkjet
    printer, I'd buy one of those, and keep the IIIP for text only work (the
    toner cartridges are way cheaper long-term than inkjet cartridges.)

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2005
  7. lu

    lu Guest

    I do mostly text work, and have a couple of inkjets that I use anyway
    for color and photos.

    Thanks again for figuring this out.
    ..

    lu, Jan 14, 2005