    pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player. So
    I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    download the install disks from the net. Thanx

    Lydie, Jun 27, 2004

  2. Lydie

    philo Guest

    "Lydie" <> wrote in message
    news:BfBDc.10505$...
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn how

    > pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player.

    So
    > I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    > download the install disks from the net. Thanx

    you can get a cd-support bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

    if it detects your drive...just run setup from the drive assigned to the
    cd

    philo, Jun 27, 2004

  3. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:01:44 -0400, "Lydie" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn how a
    >pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player. So
    >I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    >download the install disks from the net. Thanx

    try drivers.com for the win95 cd driver. If that doesn't work then get
    the dos drivers for it, load them with config.sys and autoexec.bat
    files (this is very complicated if you don't know how)
    http://www.connectlan.com

    Captain America, Jun 27, 2004
  4. Lydie

    Lydie Guest

    Hi
    I don't need the cd drivers because I can't plug a cd drive on this
    motherboard

    Lydie, Jun 27, 2004
  5. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:35:51 -0400, "Lydie" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >I don't need the cd drivers because I can't plug a cd drive on this
    >motherboard

    Then how do you know that the mb won't recognize the cd? DOH!
    http://www.connectlan.com

    Captain America, Jun 27, 2004
  6. Lydie

    Mike Walker Guest

    I think what Lydie is saying that this motherboard does not
    have a IDE connection on it, so that's why they can not use
    the normal windows boot disk.

    I have not seen anywhere where you can get the floppy disk
    version of Windows 95 any more, you could ask for them
    via a binaries news group, and down load them.

    I think your best answer would be to find a old sound card
    that has a IDE connection on it, them install MS-DOS if you have
    the disks, or make the hard drive a MS_DOS disk via the Windows 95/98
    boot disk.
    Then install the MS-DOS drivers to get the IDE channel working on the sound
    card
    them you can boot into MS-DOS, then install Windows 95 from CD.

    I hope that helps.

    Regards
    Mike.

    Mike Walker, Jun 27, 2004
  7. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 16:55:41 +0100, "Mike Walker"
    <> wrote:

    >I think what Lydie is saying that this motherboard does not
    >have a IDE connection on it, so that's why they can not use
    >the normal windows boot disk.

    No, what he/she said was: but it's so old, the motherboard can't
    recognize the cd player

    >I have not seen anywhere where you can get the floppy disk
    >version of Windows 95 any more, you could ask for them
    >via a binaries news group, and down load them.

    I have them

    >I think your best answer would be to find a old sound card
    >that has a IDE connection on it, them install MS-DOS if you have
    >the disks, or make the hard drive a MS_DOS disk via the Windows 95/98
    >boot disk.
    >Then install the MS-DOS drivers to get the IDE channel working on the sound
    >card
    >them you can boot into MS-DOS, then install Windows 95 from CD.

    Wow, talk about jumping through hoops!

    Captain America, Jun 27, 2004
  8. Lydie

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Lydie typed:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn
    > how a pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd
    > player. So I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's
    > a place to download the install disks from the net. Thanx

    Might be worth visiting a computer fair, or similar, to try and find an
    older cd player ..

    ebay might have some W95 disk sets on. I have a set, originally for a Dell
    laptop, but could be used for anything I guess .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...

    (8(|) ... Homer Rocks

    Paul - xxx, Jun 27, 2004
  9. Lydie

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:01:44 -0400, "Lydie" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn how a
    >pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player. So
    >I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    >download the install disks from the net. Thanx

    If you can borrow a parallel port (printer) Zip drive, copy the contents of
    the Win95 CD to the Zip disk and transfer it to the old PC the same way.

    Unk, Jun 27, 2004
  10. Lydie

    Lydie Guest

    I tried to install the cd drivers and I got a message telling me that I
    can't use a cd drive with this motherboard (I don't remember exactly what
    the message was)

    Lydie, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Lydie

    Lydie Guest

    Apparently I can't use a cd drive with this motherboard (I had a message
    telling me that when I tried to install the Dos drivers for the cd)

    Lydie, Jun 27, 2004
  12. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 15:24:29 -0400, "Lydie" <>
    wrote:

    >I tried to install the cd drivers and I got a message telling me that I
    >can't use a cd drive with this motherboard (I don't remember exactly what
    >the message was)

    Um, I don't remember either.
    http://www.connectlan.com

    Captain America, Jun 27, 2004
  13. Lydie

    ICee Guest

    Lydie wrote:
    > Apparently I can't use a cd drive with this motherboard (I had a
    > message telling me that when I tried to install the Dos drivers for
    > the cd)

    Does the computer *have* a CD drive?
    Maybe you need an updated boot disk.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    ICee, Jun 27, 2004
  14. Lydie

    Lydie Guest

    No the computer didn't have a cd drive when I got it, but I tried to put one
    in and it didn't work.

    Lydie, Jun 27, 2004
  15. Lydie

    terry_b17 Guest

    terry_b17, Jun 28, 2004
  16. Lydie

    Plato Guest

    Lydie wrote:

    > I don't need the cd drivers because I can't plug a cd drive on this
    > motherboard

    I dont see why not. How old is this pc anyway? If its so old that is
    uses a controller card to connect drives then connect the cdrom drive to
    the same cable the hard drive is on, doing the correct jumper settings
    of course.

    Plato, Jun 28, 2004
  17. Lydie

    Plato Guest

    Mike Walker wrote:

    > I think what Lydie is saying that this motherboard does not
    > have a IDE connection on it, so that's why they can not use
    > the normal windows boot disk.

    You thinking its a old pc with just a scsi hard drive?

    Plato, Jun 28, 2004
  18. Lydie

    Plato Guest

    Unk wrote:

    > >I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn how a
    > >pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player. So
    > >I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    > >download the install disks from the net. Thanx
    > >

    > If you can borrow a parallel port (printer) Zip drive, copy the contents of
    > the Win95 CD to the Zip disk and transfer it to the old PC the same way.

    there ya go. I've often had to put win95 on old laptops that way.

    Plato, Jun 28, 2004
  19. On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:57:34 -0400, Unk wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 11:01:44 -0400, "Lydie" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I have an old pc I'm trying to rebuild (for a small kid, just to learn how a
    >>pc works) but it's so old, the motherboard can't recognize the cd player. So
    >>I can't install Win95 from my cd. I'd like to know if there's a place to
    >>download the install disks from the net. Thanx
    >>

    > If you can borrow a parallel port (printer) Zip drive, copy the contents of
    > the Win95 CD to the Zip disk and transfer it to the old PC the same way.

    I was going to say, just download WINRAR and create a multi-volume disk
    file of the win95 directory. Copy all the files over to the other
    computer, run the install from the hard drive (assuming it has enough file
    space), that's how I did it on my laptop without CD.... Most people on the
    net these days can't get by without a cd-rom, they just fail to understand
    how to live without one...

    John H. Guillory, Jun 28, 2004
  20. Lydie

    atec Guest

    you need to install mscdex.exe in the batch file . google for
    instruction
    thats autoexec.bat .

    atec, Jun 28, 2004