    please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.
    , Oct 25, 2008

  2. caveat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
    > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
    > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
    > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
    > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
    > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
    > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
    > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

    Here a couple of things you could try . . .

    1) open computer and reseat everything: plugs, cables, cards, SIMMs, etc.

    2) swap the SIMMs and see if this changes anything

    3) replace the battery on the motherboard and go into the CMOS and make sure
    your system is set up correctly

    4) try to boot from a CD or floppy and see if it boots all the way
    caveat, Oct 25, 2008

  3. Neil Green Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already
    > asked & answered
    > numerous times in the past, but I have an old
    > (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that
    > can't get started.
    > It had apparently been working fine the last time I
    > used it a couple
    > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the
    > Windows 98 screen.
    > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons
    > simultaneously, or turn the
    > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back
    > on again, it just
    > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes
    > there. Can anyone
    > please help? Any efforts to help will be
    > well-appreciated, and any
    > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks
    > very much.

    A couple of things are the most obvious.
    Firstly, try and boot in Safe Mode (Press F8 during
    POST)
    If the machine boots then it's probably but not
    certainly an issue with Windows itself.
    If not, and you have more than one stick of (probably)
    SDRAM, try swapping them out one at a time, that is,
    remove the one in slot two and try and boot.
    If the same symptoms persist then remove that stick
    and replace it with the one that was removed in Slot
    1.
    If it's still not a goer the most likely culprit is
    probably a dying hard disk.
    Less likely, but still possible, is a faulty power
    supply that is failing when trying to power up some
    peripherals when Windows starts, if the machine will
    start in Safe Mode then the power supply issue becomes
    more likely.
    Neil Green, Oct 25, 2008
  4. sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 25, 3:26 am, wrote:
    > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
    > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
    > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
    > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
    > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
    > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
    > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there.  Can anyone
    > please help?  Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

    If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
    stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '98).
    sandy58, Oct 26, 2008
  5. VOJEP Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 25, 3:26 am, wrote:
    > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
    > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
    > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
    > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
    > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
    > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
    > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
    > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

    If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
    stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '98).

    I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
    It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
    take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy. VOJEP.
    VOJEP, Oct 26, 2008
  6. sandy58 Guest

    On Oct 26, 6:39 pm, "VOJEP" <> wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 25, 3:26 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
    > > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
    > > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
    > > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
    > > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
    > > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
    > > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
    > > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    > > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

    > If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
    > stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '98).
    >
    >          I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
    > It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
    > take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy.         VOJEP.

    In cases like that updating drivers can help, VOJEP.
    sandy58, Oct 28, 2008
  7. VOJEP Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 26, 6:39 pm, "VOJEP" <> wrote:
    > "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    > On Oct 25, 3:26 am, wrote:
    >
    > > Sorry if a question similar to this has been already asked & answered
    > > numerous times in the past, but I have an old (backup) PC (a Hewlett-
    > > Packard Pavilion 8580C that I bought in 1999) that can't get started.
    > > It had apparently been working fine the last time I used it a couple
    > > days ago, but now it freezes whenever it's on the Windows 98 screen.
    > > Whether I use the CTRL-ALT-DELETE buttons simultaneously, or turn the
    > > PC off, wait a minute or so, and then turn it back on again, it just
    > > keeps bringing up the Windows 98 screen and freezes there. Can anyone
    > > please help? Any efforts to help will be well-appreciated, and any
    > > that work will be *greatly* appreciated - thanks very much.

    > If you have installed anything since it last ran well, uninstall that
    > stuff as it may be "too modern" (incompatible with the win '98).
    >
    > I had a similar hang-up after accepting a Windows Update.
    > It had something to do with my graphics card and I had to
    > take my pc to a computer shop for the remedy. VOJEP.

    In cases like that updating drivers can help, VOJEP.

    But it was a driver update that caused it to hang. VOJEP.
    VOJEP, Oct 28, 2008
  8. Guest

    Sorry that I forgot to thank everyone for their efforts to help. I
    still haven't even gotten around to giving any of the advice a try yet
    in getting my older (backup) PC fixed, as I've been busy with so many
    various different things lately, but I should probably be doing
    something about the problem this coming week. Thanks again.
    , Nov 16, 2008