    I am not going to expend another card for it - it works brilliantly with
    Linux, so no harm done, but I would've liked to see it.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 30, 2009

  2. tsperling

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <>
    "tsperling" <> was claimed to have wrote:

    >I've just installed '7' onto my old 64bit notebook (zv5000) but HP do not
    >support this model even for Vista any longer - I managed to find Vistax64
    >driver at my usual driver alternative (NGOHQ), but the install does not
    >complete from compatibility mode. Does anybody know of any Win7 drivers for
    >the GF4 MX440?

    You might have better luck with x86, drivers tend to be somewhat less
    difficult to find and unless your notebook happens to have more then
    ~3.2GB of RAM there is little harm.

    Either way, try Windows Update, you might luck out and find a matching
    driver.

    Dave Warren, Jul 30, 2009

  3. If you check at http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
    there were no Vista reference drivers produced, so no WDM drivers exist
    even for installation in compatibility mode.

    I think the nVidia 5 series were the last to have drivers for Vista.
    Anything earlier will not have any drivers which could be installed in
    Windows 7.

    The 93.71 drivers will support x64 XP, but this is the latest OS for
    which there are any drivers for the 4 MX series.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 30, 2009
  4. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    Yes, thanks. I shall let it run for a few days, then put Linux back if
    nothing happens.

    I do not expect much luck as nVidia ddoesn't support their own gear when it
    is on a notebook, but wash their hands and direct you to the H/W
    manufacturer who'd rather sell another noteboook and stop their support for
    more than one OS version.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 30, 2009
  5. tsperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Is this what you are looking for?
    http://www.driverheaven.net/nvmodtool.php
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 30, 2009
  6. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    Good Heavens, Carlos! I'm not at all sure what it is that it is doing, but
    it sounds as though it could do the trick, I shall certainly try that -
    thank YOU! No wonder I couldn't find it since it isn't actually a driver -
    but how did you find it?

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 30, 2009
  7. tsperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    I will share with you my little secret.
    I read this page:
    http://www.warp2search.net/
    on a daily basis, it is like reading the newspaper for me.
    A couple of weeks back I read this:
    http://www.warp2search.net/contentt...dia_mobility_modder_v1000_final_released.html
    and I said, "Interesting, someone might need it".
    So, when you posted today I said, "My good friend Tony is needing it now!"
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 30, 2009
  8. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    It was indeed too good to be true - all it does is modify the *.INF file.
    The installation proper fails as before!

    Grrr!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 31, 2009
  9. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    A good night's sleep often make wonders. When the instructions said to
    download the latest driver, I interpreted it as the latest driver for my
    card - that happened to be an XP x64 driver in my case, but of course the
    modder doesn't modify to my OS and the driver remained an XP driver!
    Instead, this morning, I downloaded the latest nVidia driver for the OS,
    which happens to be the one we are already using but which doesn't support
    my video card - and that is what the modder is doing. Gee, that is what I
    expected from the NGO driver I was trying out, no idea why I should twist
    the logic on this occasion?

    Anyhow, I did it all again and it seems to be installing right now - a bit
    slowly, but no objections yet.

    And still, the INF is all that is written to. We could almost do it by hand
    on our own had we known this?

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 31, 2009
  10. tsperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Good to hear you are being successful. I was wondering what might have been
    wrong and you just explained it.
    Inf file "modding" is an interesting practice. I used it once to extend the
    life of an old usb bluetooth adapter that was no longer supported by its
    manufacturer.
    I got hold of a newer driver from another manufacturer, made sure that the
    chipset was similar, and included an entry for my hardware in it.
    And that was it, my old bluetooth adapter was alive again.
    BTW there is also a software for modding ATI drivers to support older mobile
    graphic chipsets (been there, done that also with success).
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 31, 2009
  11. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    O.K. - It will not work anyway. When I un-install the default VGA driver it
    is promptly re-installing that same driver upon re-boot and that driver is
    32-bit and then the OS thinks it is a 32bit OS and will have nothing to do
    with the 64bit one. I don't know - could it be that the nVidia GF4 MX 440
    isn't 64bit compatible, HP never actually supported any 64bit OS on this
    model - although Linux is working, very fine indeed. If it isn't compatible,
    then it shouldn't be working sometimes!

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 31, 2009
  12. tsperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Last shot. Try booting into safe mode and install the driver from there.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 1, 2009
  13. tsperling

    tsperling Guest

    Well, it's already back on Linux now - I honestly think running Win7 might
    well be useless anyhow with that old hardware. Not that it is particularly
    lame or feeble but it is four years now and nobody has any interest in
    supporting a very limited number of one variation to a notebook. To be
    absolutely frank - HP issued one BIOS update, that I can remember, and
    nothing else.

    For most things, though, Linux supports it very well indeed. And for all I
    know, not with any help from HP - not to badmouth HP I was and am
    enthusiastically happy with the machine and they really did a fine job with
    it, but. . .

    I shall put all this new knowledge to the best of use, however, and see what
    I can achieve by manually editing that INF in preparation for what the
    future might throw at us.

    Thanks to everybody for the interest.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Aug 1, 2009