Old network-new computers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Susan, Feb 20, 2006.

  1. Susan

    Susan Guest

    I asked this question in the wireless group with no joy. Hopefully I will
    fair better here.
    I really thought it would be a breeze to get two XP computers talking.

    My situation:
    sometime ago, I set up a network using a Win98SE desktop and the same on a
    notebook. I used the Microsoft Broadband Wireless Notebook Adaptor Kit. It
    worked just fine from day one. I could "see" shared files & folders plus I
    could print from either on a non-network printer. Of course, I also could
    get on the Internet with both.

    I set it up so that the network name was Holysmoke; Workgroup was Bayview;
    the desktop was Office; and the notebook was Dell.

    In the last six months, I have purchased a WinXP Pro notebook and a Windows
    Media Center 2005. The notebook came 1st. I wasn't able to get it to work
    with the network. It never even "saw" the network. Now with the addition of
    the Media Center desktop, I cannot join either to the network but still can
    use the Internet. I have run the network setup and have file and print
    sharing on. My
    Windows firewalls are off.

    When I click on View workgroup computers on the notebook, I see the "Office"
    desktop, but when I try to access the Office desktop, I get a message
    telling me that:

    "\\Office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

    On my Desktop, when I try to view the workgroup, I get this message:
    "Bayview is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is not
    currently available."

    Both have the same workgroup name and each has an individual name and
    description. I hope this is specific enough information. I wonder if I had
    to run the Network wizard at all? The new computers use the name of the old.
    Shouldn't it be seamless? Guess not. I'm resigned to using VNC if I must.
    Thanks in Advance.
    --

    Susan
    Still flyin' by the seat of my pants

    Friends of Bolton Mansion
    http://www.boltonmansion.org

    -30-

    Susan, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Susan,
    Ideally the workgroup name will be the same for all machines. The computers
    should have individual names, but the workgroup should be the same all the
    way through.

    Also, with Windows XP Peer to Peer networks I've found that it's a lot
    easier if you have users set up on each PC for the other PCs to log in with.
    For instance, PC1 has logins for the users of PC2 and PC3, PC2 has logins for
    PC1 and PC3...etc. I've also found that it works easier if each one of those
    logins has a password.

    Also make sure your IP addresses are on the same schema. They should all be
    192.168.1.XXX (or whatever IP schema you prefer) on your internal "LAN".
    Double check those subnet masks as well.

    If you have something handing out IP addresses (such as a router) open a
    command prompt on each PC and type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotes.
    It'll tell you what your IP settings are.

    Finally, make sure you have something shared. Start with a folder, share
    it, and make sure everyone has full access for testing purposes.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBDaGlvZG8=?=, Feb 20, 2006