    I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    lense on this Canon body?
    Tom, May 17, 2005

  2. Tom

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    > 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    > lense on this Canon body?

    No.
    Jim Townsend, May 17, 2005

  3. Tom

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Tom wrote:

    > I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    > 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    > lense on this Canon body?

    Darn.. clicked send to early on my last reply :)

    No, you can't use a lens with a Nikon mount on a 20D.. You require lenses
    with the EOS mount. Canon designates them as EF or EF-S.

    Sigma, Tamron and others make lenses with the EOS mount for use
    on Canon SLR cameras.
    Jim Townsend, May 17, 2005
  4. Tom writes:
    > I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    > 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    > lense on this Canon body?

    Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

    You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

    Is it worth it? My answer is "no".
    Gisle Hannemyr, May 17, 2005
  5. Tom

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > Tom writes:
    >> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    >> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    >> lense on this Canon body?

    > Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
    > http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
    >
    > You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

    I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..

    The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
    Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
    infinity focus :)
    Jim Townsend, May 18, 2005
  6. Jim Townsend <> writes:
    > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    >> Tom writes:

    >>> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    >>> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this

    >> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
    >> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
    >>
    >> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down metering.

    > I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..

    This is the case with the adapter to use Canon's older FD-mount on
    EOS bodies (EF-mount) - unless the adapter has an optical element
    that corrects it. The Cameraquest F-mount to EF-mount adapter gives
    infinity focus without such an optical element

    > The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
    > Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
    > infinity focus :)

    Nikon's F-mount is physically smaller than Canon's EF-mount, so
    F-mount lens fits within the EF-mount.
    Gisle Hannemyr, May 18, 2005
  7. Tom

    Frank ess Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    >
    >> Tom writes:
    >>> I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    >>> 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use
    >>> this
    >>> lense on this Canon body?

    >> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
    >> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
    >>
    >> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down
    >> metering.

    > I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..
    >
    > The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
    > Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
    > infinity focus :)

    Some adapters have glass in them, designed, I think, to eliminate that
    shortcoming. May not work real good in the cheap versions ($40-80).

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, May 18, 2005
  8. Frank ess wrote:

    > Jim Townsend wrote:
    >>
    >> Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    >>> Yes, with a $175 Cameraquest adapter:
    >>> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html
    >>>
    >>> You'll loose autofocus and will be restricted to stop-down
    >>> metering.

    >> I believe you also risk not being able to focus at infinity..
    >>
    >> The adapter has thickness and moves the lens away from the camera..
    >> Not as much as an extension tube, but probably enough to screw up
    >> infinity focus :)

    > Some adapters have glass in them, designed, I think, to eliminate that
    > shortcoming. May not work real good in the cheap versions ($40-80).

    To adapt a Nikon lens on a Canon EOS body requires an adapter of 2mm
    thickness - no optics required to preserve infinity focus. You can buy
    such an adapter for as little as $35.

    -Dave
    Dave Herzstein, May 18, 2005
  9. Tom

    Todd H. Guest

    Tom writes:
    > I've inherited an old Nikon N6006 with a Sigma autofocus 28-105mm
    > 1:4-5.6 (58 mm dia) lense. If I buy a Canon EOS 20d, can I use this
    > lense on this Canon body?

    Probably not. Even if it were an EOS mount Sigma lens, maybe even
    not then.

    I have the EOS mount 70-210 f/2.8 and 28-70 f/2.8 Sigmas purchased in
    1993ish and neither works on post Elan-II era bodies (my 300D for
    instance). They give ERR99 because Canon changed the signalling
    protocol for aperture stop down, and Sigmas reverse engineering of
    that protocol (rather than licensing it) was successfully foiled.

    As such, I can only use these lenses on aperture priority mode wide
    open (f/2.8). Later model Sigmas may be chip upgradeable. Mine were
    not however.

    Throw in the fact that you in your case would somehow need to get
    these Nikon mount Sigmas to even fit on the EOS mount, odds are slim
    to none that it'll all work in the end.

    For more info on the EOS issue, see FAQ #7 here:
    http://sigmaphoto.com/faq/faq.asp?navigator=3

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.