    They look quite similar, from a distance.

    Lars
    Stockholm
    Lars, Mar 15, 2008

  2. Lars

    Jeff R. Guest

    "Lars" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi group,
    >
    > I have some fine lenses for my 30 year old Canon A1.
    > Is it possible to use those lenses on a new digital Canon?
    >
    > They look quite similar, from a distance.
    >
    > Lars
    > Stockholm

    Possible but not worth the trouble.
    This is a source of some angst among long-time Canon users.

    The FD lens mount (breech-lock bayonet) is difficult to match to the current
    AF style. The adaptor needs an element to allow focus to infinity, and thus
    resolution is compromised. If you use an adaptor without the extra element,
    it will not focus to infinity.

    I have some lovely glass wasting away because of this.

    --
    Jeff R.
    Jeff R., Mar 15, 2008

  3. Lars <> wrote:
    >I have some fine lenses for my 30 year old Canon A1.
    >Is it possible to use those lenses on a new digital Canon?

    The A-1 uses an FD mount, which was abandoned by Canon in the late 80s.
    All Canon cameras since 1990 including all digital cameras are using the EF
    lens mount, which is incompatible with the older FD mount.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Mar 15, 2008
  4. Lars

    George Kerby Guest

    On 3/15/08 12:05 PM, in article ,
    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote:

    > Lars <> wrote:
    >> I have some fine lenses for my 30 year old Canon A1.
    >> Is it possible to use those lenses on a new digital Canon?

    > The A-1 uses an FD mount, which was abandoned by Canon in the late 80s.
    > All Canon cameras since 1990 including all digital cameras are using the EF
    > lens mount, which is incompatible with the older FD mount.
    >
    > jue

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Converter-Adapter-for-Canon-FD-Lens-to-EOS-EF-Body-A95_W
    0QQitemZ190206565037QQihZ009QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVie
    wItem
    George Kerby, Mar 15, 2008
  5. Jürgen Exner wrote:

    >> I have some fine lenses for my 30 year old Canon A1.
    >> Is it possible to use those lenses on a new digital Canon?

    Yes, you can get an adapter on eBay for them.

    > The A-1 uses an FD mount, which was abandoned by Canon in the late
    > 80s. All Canon cameras since 1990 including all digital cameras are
    > using the EF lens mount, which is incompatible with the older FD
    > mount.

    Bad move on Canon's part, abandoning a superior mounting system and trashing
    the best optics they ever had.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Mar 16, 2008
  6. Lars

    Lars Guest

    Previously, on Usenet "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    >> The A-1 uses an FD mount, which was abandoned by Canon in the late
    >> 80s. All Canon cameras since 1990 including all digital cameras are
    >> using the EF lens mount, which is incompatible with the older FD
    >> mount.

    >Bad move on Canon's part, abandoning a superior mounting system and
    >trashing the best optics they ever had.

    It certainly does bring Canon out of its pole position. Now the slate
    is clean and all brands have equal chance.

    I have had a few pocket digital cameras already, and now feel the
    market is mature enough for something more serious.

    I had to replace the house on my A1 some years ago, but overall I have
    been very satisfied with it. It would have been nice to keep it alive
    for another while.

    Thanks all for your input.

    Lars
    Stockholm