    1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
    new digital Cannons's????
    thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

    Chuck Lorentson, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Chuck Lorentson

    Doug Robbins Guest

    The A-1 lenses are "FD" mount. The Canon DSLRs are "EOS" mount. The EOS
    mount is not compatible with the older lenses.

    Doug Robbins, Oct 22, 2004

  3. "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message
    > The A-1 lenses are "FD" mount. The Canon DSLRs are "EOS" mount. The EOS
    > mount is not compatible with the older lenses.

    FD lens to EOS mount adapters existed at one time. I think they include a
    small glass teleconverter. Note that with an adapter, you have no
    autofocus, and only a primitive kind of auto exposure (aperture-priority,
    with the lens stopped down to working aperture all the time).

    A Nikon lens to EOS body adapter exists and is popular. It does not contain
    a glass element, but it has the same limitation about focusing and aperture.
    There are also several adapters for other lenses to EOS bodies, some with
    glass elements and some without.

    The EOS body is shallower front to back than most other SLRs, and that's
    what makes the adapters possible.

    Do a Google search for "EOS lens mount adapter". Or an eBay search.
    Novoflex makes a $180 Nikon to EOS adapter; somebody in the Ukraine makes a
    $40 one that is well regarded (but probably doesn't pay patent royalties to
    Nikon and Canon).

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Chuck Lorentson

    Alan Light Guest

    (Chuck Lorentson) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
    > 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
    > new digital Cannons's????
    > thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

    No. Your camera uses canon FD lenses, current canon SLRs (both film
    and digital use EF lenses).

    Alan Light, Oct 22, 2004

    In fact B&H has one now. www.bhphotovideo.com and search for "EOS adapter."

    > Do a Google search for "EOS lens mount adapter". Or an eBay search.
    > Novoflex makes a $180 Nikon to EOS adapter; somebody in the Ukraine makes
    > a $40 one that is well regarded (but probably doesn't pay patent royalties
    > to Nikon and Canon).

    See also my other posting inviting people's comments on the low-cost
    versions of this one.

    And of course there are T-adapters to mount your vintage T-mount lenses on
    an EOS.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Chuck Lorentson

    GT40 Guest

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:43:48 GMT, (Chuck
    Lorentson) wrote:

    >I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
    >1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
    >new digital Cannons's????
    > thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

    No, only the EF lenses work on the new Canon DSLR's

    GT40, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Chuck Lorentson

    Skip M Guest

    EOS (Electronic Optical System, or some such) is the line of cameras, the
    mount is actually "EF" as opposed to the older FD mount. Just picking nits,
    I know, but, hey, it's slow around here...

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip M, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Chuck Lorentson wrote:

    > I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
    > 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
    > new digital Cannons's????

    > thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

    Not in the proper sense of the word ('work'). There are FD->EOS
    adaptors that will allow the lens to physicaly attach to the camera -
    that's the good news. On the downside, you will lose infinity focus,
    most (all?) metering functionality, automatic aperture control, etc.
    AFAIK, macro work is about the only sort of use that makes sense; the
    adaptor acts like a short macro tube.

    I still shoot an A1 and T90; just send all the stuff my way! ;)

    -Greg

    Greg Campbell, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Chuck Lorentson

    dj_nme Guest

    Greg Campbell wrote:

    > Chuck Lorentson wrote:
    >
    >> I know this is a 'stretch', I have a Cannon A1 that I bought in
    >> 1980's, has several lens with it, will the lens work with any of the
    >> new digital Cannons's????

    >> thanks for you input/info/time. cl. 73

    > Not in the proper sense of the word ('work'). There are FD->EOS
    > adaptors that will allow the lens to physicaly attach to the camera -
    > that's the good news. On the downside, you will lose infinity focus,
    > most (all?) metering functionality, automatic aperture control, etc.
    > AFAIK, macro work is about the only sort of use that makes sense; the
    > adaptor acts like a short macro tube.
    >
    > I still shoot an A1 and T90; just send all the stuff my way! ;)
    >
    > -Greg

    The loss of metering function when using manual focus lenses on new a
    DSLR has me a bit puzzled.
    My 30-odd year old Minolta XG-1 can meter (and auto-expose) with lenses
    that have no apeture coupling to the body (such as Pentacon-6 and m42
    lenses) by using them stopped-down (or manualy stopping down to f 1:6 or
    smaller before pressing the shutter button).

    How can a thirty-odd year old film camera be better at this than a
    brand-new DSLR?

    dj_nme, Oct 24, 2004
  10. "dj_nme" <> wrote in message
    > The loss of metering function when using manual focus lenses on new a DSLR
    > has me a bit puzzled.
    > My 30-odd year old Minolta XG-1 can meter (and auto-expose) with lenses
    > that have no apeture coupling to the body (such as Pentacon-6 and m42
    > lenses) by using them stopped-down (or manualy stopping down to f 1:6 or
    > smaller before pressing the shutter button).
    > How can a thirty-odd year old film camera be better at this than a
    > brand-new DSLR?

    I think the DSLR *can* meter, at least in one of its modes. I would be
    amazed if it couldn't meter or auto-expose at all.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 24, 2004
  11. See this site:
    http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

    Most EOS cameras meter correctly with non-electronic lenses, but (as you'd
    expect) you have to do the metering with the lens stopped down to the
    aperture at which you'll shoot, and you can't use modes where the camera
    sets the aperture for you.

    Some early EOS cameras -- due to what can only be described as an oversight
    on the part of the designers -- meter incorrectly in this situation.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 24, 2004
  12. Chuck Lorentson

    dj_nme Guest

    Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > See this site:
    > http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/
    >
    > Most EOS cameras meter correctly with non-electronic lenses, but (as you'd
    > expect) you have to do the metering with the lens stopped down to the
    > aperture at which you'll shoot, and you can't use modes where the camera
    > sets the aperture for you.
    >
    > Some early EOS cameras -- due to what can only be described as an oversight
    > on the part of the designers -- meter incorrectly in this situation.

    That does make it a bit clearer, because that is exactly the way I use
    adapted lenses on my XG-1.
    As it is a manual focus camera, there is nothing to disable to focus
    manualy.
    To me it was pretty obvious that a new DSLR camera wouldn't be able to
    set the apeture on my existing lenses, as their is no motor nor
    electronic connection to the body in any of them.
    I must have been mislead by some people insisting that DSLR cameras
    (like the digital EOS series) couldn't meter amd could not be used in
    auto-exposure to let the camera determine the shutter speed (and nothing
    else) with manual focus and apeture lenses.

    What I realy want is a digital version of the XG-1 (which doesn't
    exist), but I am seriously looking to buy a Dynax 7D to use my
    collection of MC, MD and adapted other lenses with.
    I realise that I will have to use an adapter to use my mf Minolta lenses
    with the 7D.

    I currently use a Dimage 7i, but miss my fisheye and long telephoto
    lenses that I have for my XG-1.

    dj_nme, Oct 25, 2004