Old Laptop RAM Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack Barrett, Nov 19, 2005.

  1. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
    that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
    Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.

    Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2

    I have 2 questions:

    1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?

    2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?

    I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Jack - Home Grown Hack
    Jack Barrett, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Jack Barrett

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:h9Off.13735$,
    Jack Barrett spewed forth:
    > I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great
    > except that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    > I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more
    > years! Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
    >
    > Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
    >
    > I have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >
    > 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
    >
    > I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack - Home Grown Hack

    Do ya think the freakin' MODEL of the laptop *might* be a helpful tidbit of
    info?

    Geez...

    Try www.crucial.com

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 19, 2005

  3. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    www.crucial.com is the way to go. You just enter the required information
    and the site will tell you what is needed or you call them and a tech will
    tell you what is needed.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Nov 19, 2005
  4. Jack Barrett

    Plato Guest

    Jack Barrett wrote:

    > 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >
    > 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?

    call 18004memory

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Jack Barrett

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0000, Jack Barrett wrote:

    > I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
    > that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    > I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
    > Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
    >
    > Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
    >
    > I have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >
    > 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
    >
    > I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack - Home Grown Hack

    It runs slow because it is slow to begin with. Dumoing more ram isn't
    going to make it fast expecially if the kids are used to a P4
    Meat Plow, Nov 20, 2005
  6. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Sorry for not adding the Model # - Compaq Armada 7770

    I know it's slow to begin with....but when every member of our family may be
    online.....it helps to have this laptop for AIM, internet & homework.

    Many thanks for the help

    jack the home grown hack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 20, 2005
  7. Jack Barrett

    Jack Barrett Guest

    Hey Duane,

    The Crucial.com web site said they do not carry RAM for this laptop.
    =(

    Thanks anyway.

    jack

    Jack Barrett, Nov 20, 2005
  8. Jack Barrett

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0000, Jack Barrett wrote:
    >
    >> I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great
    >> except that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    >> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more
    >> years! Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
    >>
    >> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium
    >> 2
    >>
    >> I have 2 questions:
    >>
    >> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >>
    >> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
    >>
    >> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jack - Home Grown Hack

    > It runs slow because it is slow to begin with. Dumoing more ram isn't
    > going to make it fast expecially if the kids are used to a P4

    Do let me find a better way of <PLONKING> you.

    <g>
    Duane Arnold, Nov 20, 2005
  9. Jack Barrett wrote:
    > Sorry for not adding the Model # - Compaq Armada 7770
    >
    > I know it's slow to begin with....but when every member of our family may be
    > online.....it helps to have this laptop for AIM, internet & homework.

    I don't meant to be rude, but I wouldn't spend much on upgrading that
    laptop, the money would be better spent getting a newer laptop. But
    anyhow, that model uses EDO SoDIMM RAM, and I'd stay with sticks that
    are specified for that model Compaq. Compaq used to use parts that were
    extremely proprietary and charged an arm and a leg for said parts. I'm
    sure it contributed to them having to sell out to HP.

    Here's some eBay results:
    http://tinyurl.com/d4fy4
    http://tinyurl.com/8aqcd

    Note that you'd better look up the specs on your computer before
    ordering as far as the maximum amount of memory it can handle and any
    other specs that might affect the purchase.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 20, 2005
  10. Jack Barrett

    Martik Guest

    >I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great except
    >that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    > I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more years!
    > Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
    >
    > Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium 2
    >
    > I have 2 questions:
    >
    > 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >
    > 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
    >
    > I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jack - Home Grown Hack

    Sell it on ebay for approx $100 and buy a PIII 700 with 256mb or so for
    another $100
    Martik, Nov 20, 2005
  11. Jack Barrett

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 02:42:18 +0000, Duane Arnold wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 23:01:33 +0000, Jack Barrett wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a laptop made by Compaq running Windows 98se and works great
    >>> except that my kids complain it's very sloooowwww.
    >>> I found this laptop at work and it's not been used for 5 or more
    >>> years! Looks brand new and runs great. Just slow.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the specs: Compaq / Windows 98se / 64 MG Ram / MMX Pentium
    >>> 2
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 questions:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Can I upgrade RAM for this laptop?
    >>>
    >>> 2. Where can I purchase RAM for an old laptop like this one?
    >>>
    >>> I noticed that there is a panel to remove for RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Jack - Home Grown Hack

    >> It runs slow because it is slow to begin with. Dumoing more ram isn't
    >> going to make it fast expecially if the kids are used to a P4
    >>

    > Do let me find a better way of <PLONKING> you.
    >
    > <g>

    Go for it dood.
    Meat Plow, Nov 20, 2005