OLD Laptop - OS recommendations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Adam, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi!

    I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran
    for Internet/email use only.

    Specs: P166, 1.3G HD and ... wait for it .. 24Mb memory <gasp!!>.

    Currently, it's crawling along with an up-to-date version of Win98 SE,
    but it's *painful*.

    Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are
    simply a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.

    Is it even worth the effort? Can't believe I ever worked on it! The
    only thing going for it is that it's *small* (compared to a desktop +
    VDU) and hasn't got the spaghetti that she's likely to trip up over
    and break her hip <g>.

    I've installed RH (7 I think) and got it working, though I'm not
    really a geek ... so - if it's Linux - something simple please!

    Thanks,

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Adam

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:21:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran for
    > Internet/email use only.
    >
    > Specs: P166, 1.3G HD and ... wait for it .. 24Mb memory <gasp!!>.
    >
    > Currently, it's crawling along with an up-to-date version of Win98 SE, but
    > it's *painful*.
    >
    > Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are simply
    > a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.

    Why would she need anti virus on Linux? ;)

    Anyway, with 24MB you are basically out of luck.

    Modern GUIs and web browsers are fairly complex and heavyweight bits of
    software these days. Anything older/simpler might not be easy enough to
    use.

    Unless she is really geeky and can handle text mode stuff, but if that was
    the case she would've already set it up eh?

    If you could stick in an extra 64MB more memory somehow, you might get
    something passable going with Xfce as a GUI (or just make Win98 run
    better). But I don't think you're going to get anything lighter than Win98
    already is - except maybe Win95 ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 4, 2005

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:46:53 +1200, AD. wrote:

    >> I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran for
    >> Internet/email use only.

    >> Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are simply
    >> a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.

    >Why would she need anti virus on Linux? ;)

    Heh ... it occurred to me that, as she'll only be using webmail, that
    she not even need AV anyway.

    >Anyway, with 24MB you are basically out of luck.

    Thought so ... I'm amazed that this was my "work" machine once. It
    *appeared* to run OK - Excel, Word etc. That was Win95 in those days
    though.

    >Modern GUIs and web browsers are fairly complex and heavyweight bits of
    >software these days. Anything older/simpler might not be easy enough to
    >use.
    >
    >Unless she is really geeky and can handle text mode stuff, but if that was
    >the case she would've already set it up eh?

    I sort of hoped that even if it were only a text prompt to launch
    Firefox (or similar) she may be OK. Her geekiness only goes as far as
    using a pocket LCD Thesaurus at the moment <g>.

    >If you could stick in an extra 64MB more memory somehow, you might get
    >something passable going with Xfce as a GUI (or just make Win98 run
    >better). But I don't think you're going to get anything lighter than Win98
    >already is - except maybe Win95 ;)

    Probably impossible to find now and probably expensive. Money better
    spent upgrading one of my other [old] monsters!

    Thanks for the input - your postings here tend to be very sensible, so
    I bow to your (much better!) judgement.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 4, 2005
  4. Adam

    thing Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran
    > for Internet/email use only.
    >
    > Specs: P166, 1.3G HD and ... wait for it .. 24Mb memory <gasp!!>.
    >
    > Currently, it's crawling along with an up-to-date version of Win98 SE,
    > but it's *painful*.
    >
    > Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are
    > simply a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.
    >
    > Is it even worth the effort? Can't believe I ever worked on it! The
    > only thing going for it is that it's *small* (compared to a desktop +
    > VDU) and hasn't got the spaghetti that she's likely to trip up over
    > and break her hip <g>.
    >
    > I've installed RH (7 I think) and got it working, though I'm not
    > really a geek ... so - if it's Linux - something simple please!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adam.

    No just throw it away, graphics better than win98 in linux need as much
    if not more specs.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Apr 4, 2005
  5. Adam

    Malcolm Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:21:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran
    > for Internet/email use only.
    >
    > Specs: P166, 1.3G HD and ... wait for it .. 24Mb memory <gasp!!>.
    >
    > Currently, it's crawling along with an up-to-date version of Win98 SE,
    > but it's *painful*.
    >
    > Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are
    > simply a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.
    >
    > Is it even worth the effort? Can't believe I ever worked on it! The
    > only thing going for it is that it's *small* (compared to a desktop +
    > VDU) and hasn't got the spaghetti that she's likely to trip up over
    > and break her hip <g>.
    >
    > I've installed RH (7 I think) and got it working, though I'm not
    > really a geek ... so - if it's Linux - something simple please!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Adam.

    Hi
    Could always try 98Lite... http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html

    If you could find some more ram (32MB total) I boot this from USB
    http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ goes ok :)

    --
    Cheers
    Malcolm °¿°

    Malcolm, Apr 4, 2005
  6. Adam

    Impossible Guest

    <Adam> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:46:53 +1200, AD. wrote:
    >
    > >>If you could stick in an extra 64MB more memory somehow, you might
    > >>get

    >>something passable going with Xfce as a GUI (or just make Win98 run
    >>better). But I don't think you're going to get anything lighter than
    >>Win98
    >>already is - except maybe Win95 ;)

    > Probably impossible to find now and probably expensive. Money better
    > spent upgrading one of my other [old] monsters!

    The Solos can take a maximum of 72 MB -- 8 MB onboard plus 2x32 Mb
    SO-DIMs. (What you have now is 8 MB onboard plus 2x8 Mb SO-DIMs.) That
    would be an excellent upgrade -- Win 98se runs very, very well with
    that, and so does Microsoft Office 6, if that's what you had. So if
    the rest of the machine is in good order, it might be worth looking
    into further. Shouldn't be "impossible" to find this ram, but can't
    say what the price would be. If you do happen to go that route, be
    sure go through a local dealer and have the ram installed and running
    fine before taking delivery, just to be sure it's compatible.

    Impossible, Apr 4, 2005
  7. Adam

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor, Apr 4, 2005
  8. Adam

    Ron McNulty Guest

    Even adding memory might not work. Once when I installed a 64MB DIMM in a
    P133 machine, it showed up as 32MB, and the MOBO manufacturer confirmed that
    32MB was the limit.

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Adam

    steve Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran
    > for Internet/email use only.
    >
    > Specs: P166, 1.3G HD and ... wait for it .. 24Mb memory <gasp!!>.

    That will be tough no matter what.

    How about Win95?

    Maybe OS/2 Warp v3.0?

    I used to run that VERY well in 16MB......and your laptop would be of a
    similar vintage.

    It is also likely that a current version of a browser (they do exist for
    OS/2) would run on it......but be aware recent browsers often use 25MB
    of RAM - or more - all by themselves, irrespective of platform.

    As for Linux.....you'd be struggling with anything recent. You'd want to
    try RH 5.1 or equivalent.

    steve, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 02:16:39 -0400, Impossible wrote:

    >The Solos can take a maximum of 72 MB -- 8 MB onboard plus 2x32 Mb
    >SO-DIMs. (What you have now is 8 MB onboard plus 2x8 Mb SO-DIMs.)

    Mine seems to have 1 x 16Mb. Thanks for the info - I know what to look
    for now. :)

    >would be an excellent upgrade -- Win 98se runs very, very well with
    >that, and so does Microsoft Office 6, if that's what you had. So if
    >the rest of the machine is in good order, it might be worth looking
    >into further. Shouldn't be "impossible" to find this ram, but can't
    >say what the price would be. If you do happen to go that route, be
    >sure go through a local dealer and have the ram installed and running
    >fine before taking delivery, just to be sure it's compatible.

    All good advice, thanks.Good to hear that if I have a pretty slimline
    system, it should at leastr browse the Net.

    Daft thing is I had a duplicate carcass for one of these and slung it
    out when I moved - forgetting to take the RAM out of it. Nothing else
    worked, so I just didn't *think*. Drat.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 4, 2005
  11. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:12:31 +1200, Malcolm wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:21:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >Could always try 98Lite... http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html
    >
    >If you could find some more ram (32MB total) I boot this from USB
    >http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ goes ok :)

    Grabbed the Puppy ISO, but sadly it just won't run in 24Mb - but was
    worth a try!! May still have a go if I can source some more RAM.

    I'll take a look at 98lite as well, while I'm at it.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 4, 2005
  12. Adam

    Stewbaby Guest

    Adam wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:46:53 +1200, AD. wrote:
    >
    > >> I have an old Gateway2000 SOLO that I'm thinking of donating to gran for
    > >> Internet/email use only.

    > >> Is there a Linux distro that would do any better? Requirements are simply
    > >> a browser (web-based email) and anti-virus.

    > >Why would she need anti virus on Linux? ;)

    > Heh ... it occurred to me that, as she'll only be using webmail, that
    > she not even need AV anyway.
    >
    > >Anyway, with 24MB you are basically out of luck.

    > Thought so ... I'm amazed that this was my "work" machine once. It
    > *appeared* to run OK - Excel, Word etc. That was Win95 in those days
    > though.

    Haha... I used to run Word for Windows 2 and Excel 4 on a 286 with 2mb
    RAM under Win3.11 (in "enhanced" mode ;^). I did the first 3 years
    extramural study with that... didn't harm me none (except for the
    persistant facial tic).

    > >Modern GUIs and web browsers are fairly complex and heavyweight bits of
    > >software these days. Anything older/simpler might not be easy enough to
    > >use.
    > >
    > >Unless she is really geeky and can handle text mode stuff, but if that was
    > >the case she would've already set it up eh?

    > I sort of hoped that even if it were only a text prompt to launch
    > Firefox (or similar) she may be OK. Her geekiness only goes as far as
    > using a pocket LCD Thesaurus at the moment <g>.
    >
    > >If you could stick in an extra 64MB more memory somehow, you might get
    > >something passable going with Xfce as a GUI (or just make Win98 run
    > >better). But I don't think you're going to get anything lighter than Win98
    > >already is - except maybe Win95 ;)

    > Probably impossible to find now and probably expensive. Money better
    > spent upgrading one of my other [old] monsters!
    >
    > Thanks for the input - your postings here tend to be very sensible, so
    > I bow to your (much better!) judgement.

    Nice to see some politeness and appreciation returning to nz.comp. -
    thanks for restoring my faith in humanity ;^)

    FWIW... I spent $55 on an ex-lease PII 266 for my mum (from
    Advantage... I actually got two more for the kids) and installed a
    copy of Win98SE on it. It runs Firefox and Pegasus Mail - plus all the
    vitally important card games and Backgammon. I got a brand new (well
    - "resealed") 17" IBM monitor from GraysOnline for $45 and I already
    had Keyboard and mouse. $100 for mum's machine... and she is now on
    the 'net!

    That is probably money better spenn that casting around trying to find
    RAM for an old lapdog.

    Cheers,

    Stewbaby

    Stewbaby, Apr 4, 2005
  13. Stewbaby wrote:
    >>>If you could stick in an extra 64MB more memory somehow, you might get
    >>>something passable going with Xfce as a GUI (or just make Win98 run
    >>>better). But I don't think you're going to get anything lighter than Win98
    >>>already is - except maybe Win95 ;)

    >>Probably impossible to find now and probably expensive. Money better
    >>spent upgrading one of my other [old] monsters!

    > Nice to see some politeness and appreciation returning to nz.comp. -
    > thanks for restoring my faith in humanity ;^)

    I have three old lappys here, each with some sticks of ram in them, if
    you could take a pic(of the current ram) and email it to me, I'll see if
    I have anything that matches.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005
  14. Adam

    Daniel Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:12:31 +1200, Malcolm wrote:
    >
    > I'll take a look at 98lite as well, while I'm at it.
    >
    > Adam.

    98lite looks very interesting.

    Can you let us know how you get on with it?

    Thanks.

    Daniel, Apr 4, 2005
  15. Adam

    Windows User Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:18:14 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:12:31 +1200, Malcolm wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:21:43 +1200, Adam wrote:

    >>Could always try 98Lite... http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html
    >>
    >>If you could find some more ram (32MB total) I boot this from USB
    >>http://www.goosee.com/puppy/ goes ok :)

    >Grabbed the Puppy ISO, but sadly it just won't run in 24Mb - but was
    >worth a try!! May still have a go if I can source some more RAM.
    >
    >I'll take a look at 98lite as well, while I'm at it.

    You will want something very lite

    My old P166 desktop barely runs98se tolerably in 64 MB and only really
    works well in 128 MB

    Prob is each new version of IE makes the system more and more
    sluggish. I remember my old P100 running Win95 and the performance hit
    it took going from IE 4 to IE 5

    Windows User, Apr 5, 2005
  16. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On 4 Apr 2005 12:56:32 -0700, Stewbaby wrote:

    >Haha... I used to run Word for Windows 2 and Excel 4 on a 286 with 2mb
    >RAM under Win3.11 (in "enhanced" mode ;^). I did the first 3 years
    >extramural study with that... didn't harm me none (except for the
    >persistant facial tic).

    :) ... or should that be :) :-| :)

    >FWIW... I spent $55 on an ex-lease PII 266 for my mum (from
    >Advantage... I actually got two more for the kids) and installed a
    >copy of Win98SE on it. It runs Firefox and Pegasus Mail - plus all the
    >vitally important card games and Backgammon. I got a brand new (well
    >- "resealed") 17" IBM monitor from GraysOnline for $45 and I already
    >had Keyboard and mouse. $100 for mum's machine... and she is now on
    >the 'net!
    >
    >That is probably money better spenn that casting around trying to find
    >RAM for an old lapdog.

    I quite agree. I even have some old "beasts" gathering dust here.
    *However* ... gran is going to take one look at the monster - with all
    its wires, grinding noises etc. and probably pop her clogs <g>.

    I think us geeks tend to forget just how *ugly* these old PCs are! Not
    that her "Green Lady" pic on hanging on the wall is beautiful ...
    <hehe>.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005
  17. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:21:18 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>Probably impossible to find now and probably expensive. Money better
    >>>spent upgrading one of my other [old] monsters!

    >> Nice to see some politeness and appreciation returning to nz.comp. -
    >> thanks for restoring my faith in humanity ;^)

    >I have three old lappys here, each with some sticks of ram in them, if
    >you could take a pic(of the current ram) and email it to me, I'll see if
    >I have anything that matches.

    Thanks for the offer - see if you can match this then <g>:

    http://www.pageup.co.nz/gateway_ram.htm

    It may win you some beers!!!

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005
  18. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 09:38:30 +1200, Daniel wrote:

    >Adam wrote:
    >> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 18:12:31 +1200, Malcolm wrote:
    >>
    >> I'll take a look at 98lite as well, while I'm at it.
    >>
    >> Adam.

    >98lite looks very interesting.
    >
    >Can you let us know how you get on with it?

    Yep - will do. *Whateve*r gran gets in the end will be pretty low on
    memory, so I may be giving it a whirl.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005
  19. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 19:21:51 +1200, Windows User wrote:

    >You will want something very lite
    >
    >My old P166 desktop barely runs98se tolerably in 64 MB and only really
    >works well in 128 MB
    >
    >Prob is each new version of IE makes the system more and more
    >sluggish. I remember my old P100 running Win95 and the performance hit
    >it took going from IE 4 to IE 5

    Yes - that's why she'll be running Firefox <gg> ... though the process
    of "updating" 98SE will probably demand the latest IE anyway.

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005
  20. Adam

    Adam Guest

    On 4 Apr 2005 12:56:32 -0700, Stewbaby wrote:

    >> Thanks for the input - your postings here tend to be very sensible, so
    >> I bow to your (much better!) judgement.

    >Nice to see some politeness and appreciation returning to nz.comp. -
    >thanks for restoring my faith in humanity ;^)

    Hehehe. Well ... I'm often pretty shocked at how unpleasant this group
    gets. I've been messaging publicly since (pre-Internet) Fidonet days -
    and though I'm sure there are worse ones out there, I've found the few
    NZ ones to be more abusive than anything I've come across.

    It's no big deal though - often the worst offenders are the first to
    volunteer a kind word (eg. When Woger went to hospital :-^).

    In Anton's case, I often read his posts and think "I wish *I'd* said
    that!" ... the BASTARD!!! <gggg>. Oooops!

    Adam.

    Adam, Apr 5, 2005