Old Hardware help needed: Update.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I don't know if you guys remember my posts from a couple of weeks ago (I
    can't just add this to that thread as I've just done a clean install) where
    I couldn't get an old AT machine working for the life of me, swapped out
    everything to no avail.

    I was asked to report back when I solved it so here it is:

    It was running a P166MMX and originally wouldn't always start, hitting reset
    worked for a week then it died. I swapped everything out (and I mean
    *everything*). The culprit? The CPU. I had swapped it out for another 166MMX
    that I had here that had been a good pull and it didn't work either. I don't
    know if the original mobo fried the second CPU after I fitted it and tried
    it (I swapped mobos after I tried swapping CPUs) or what happened. They were
    both more than adequately cooled. I've never had CPUs fail before so didn't
    think they'd both be shot. I finally fixed it when I tried a third 166MMX in
    the second mobo. (Lucky I've got piles of Socket 7 CPUs lying around!)

    Just thought I'd post a follow-up to let y'all know what it was.

    Thanks to all who helped me with this.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---