    old HD a slave, or is there any other way? Do I just plug into the extra IDE
    or what? Will be very happy with any help. Thanks in advance.
    Al

    Al, Jan 29, 2007

  2. Al

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:40:03 +0000, Al wrote:

    > I had my old motherboard and processor crash and burn(not literally),
    > but would like to save old photos etc. from old drive (yes backup is
    > important, try telling my wife) so now I have a new unit, Compaq
    > Presario, with a new hard drive plug-in to motherboard I've not seen
    > before, so how do I make the old HD a slave, or is there any other way?
    > Do I just plug into the extra IDE or what? Will be very happy with any
    > help. Thanks in advance. Al

    If your not big into opening up the case of your brand new Compaq and
    messing with the wiring and setting hard drive jumpers you could pick up a
    hard drive enclosure for about $20. Fit your old drive to it, then plug it
    into a USB port to get whatever info you need off of it. Afterwards,
    reformat the drive and use it for backups.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Al

    Neil Green Guest

    "Al" <> wrote in message
    >I had my old motherboard and processor crash and
    >burn(not literally), but would like to save old
    >photos etc. from old drive (yes backup is important,
    >try telling my wife) so now I have a new unit, Compaq
    >Presario, with a new hard drive plug-in to
    >motherboard I've not seen before,

    SATA

    >so how do I make the old HD a slave, or is there any
    >other way? Do I just plug into the extra IDE or what?
    >Will be very happy with any help. Thanks in advance.
    > Al

    Plug it into any unused IDE port that you can find,
    jumpering the drive as master, or if there is no
    unused ports disconnect the DVD drive and use that IDE
    port, jumpering the drive the same as the DVD drive
    you disconnect.
    You can usually just lay the drive loose inside the
    case somewhere, copy what you want from it and then
    reconnect the DVD drive.

    Neil Green, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Al

    Al Guest