    It would be nice to keep the almighty
    maximum flash in reserve.

    TIA
    Just Another Digital Fan, Nov 1, 2006

  2. Just Another Digital Fan

    Bob Williams Guest

    Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    > I've just aquired a Fuji S9500 which
    > has an external flash hotshoe as well
    > as its own flash.
    >
    > For want of something better to do I
    > plugged in a 25 year old dual flash
    > Hanimex unit.
    >
    > The results indoors were a total white
    > out. The Hanimex is far too powerful.
    >
    > Is there any control over the Hanimex
    > power that I can invoke via the Fuji?
    > It would be nice to keep the almighty
    > maximum flash in reserve.
    >
    > TIA

    Sure!
    Check the Guide Number of the Flash, for your Camera ISO setting.
    Then put your camera in Manual Mode.
    Divide the G.N. by the distance to your subject and set the Aperture to
    that value. Exactly like you used to do in the "olden days" before
    digital. Remember those days when we all used to shot film?
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Nov 1, 2006

  3. Just Another Digital Fan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    > I've just aquired a Fuji S9500 which
    > has an external flash hotshoe as well
    > as its own flash.
    >
    > For want of something better to do I
    > plugged in a 25 year old dual flash
    > Hanimex unit.
    >
    > The results indoors were a total white
    > out. The Hanimex is far too powerful.

    Sounds like the flash fired full power.

    Set the camera's ISO on the flash, pick an f stop in the auto setting.
    Set the same f stop on the camera and try it again.
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > Set the camera's ISO on the flash, pick an f stop in the auto setting.
    > Set the same f stop on the camera and try it again.

    Thanks I'm in at the deep end here. I'm used to an A201! I was that
    impressed with it that I upgraded to the 9500. I'll try it tomorrow.
    Just Another Digital Fan, Nov 1, 2006
  5. Just Another Digital Fan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    > Dan Sullivan wrote:
    >
    > > Set the camera's ISO on the flash, pick an f stop in the auto setting.
    > > Set the same f stop on the camera and try it again.

    > Thanks I'm in at the deep end here. I'm used to an A201! I was that
    > impressed with it that I upgraded to the 9500. I'll try it tomorrow.

    You remember what I'm talking about?
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 1, 2006
  6. Just Another Digital Fan

    MaryL Guest

    "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message

    > Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    >> I've just aquired a Fuji S9500 which
    >> has an external flash hotshoe as well
    >> as its own flash.
    >>
    >> For want of something better to do I
    >> plugged in a 25 year old dual flash
    >> Hanimex unit.
    >>
    >> The results indoors were a total white
    >> out. The Hanimex is far too powerful.
    >>
    >> Is there any control over the Hanimex
    >> power that I can invoke via the Fuji?
    >> It would be nice to keep the almighty
    >> maximum flash in reserve.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>

    > Sure!
    > Check the Guide Number of the Flash, for your Camera ISO setting.
    > Then put your camera in Manual Mode.
    > Divide the G.N. by the distance to your subject and set the Aperture to
    > that value. Exactly like you used to do in the "olden days" before
    > digital. Remember those days when we all used to shot film?
    > Bob Williams

    Ah, yes. I go back to the days when I had a *hand-held* light meter to go
    with my film SLR. It took good pictures, too!

    MaryL
    MaryL, Nov 1, 2006
  7. Dan Sullivan wrote:

    > You remember what I'm talking about?

    LOL yes, thanks. I also have a hand held light meter and a Zenit E.

    I was suprised that my antique Cokin filter devices all fitted
    straight onto the Fuji. That should be fun when I get
    around to using them as well.
    Just Another Digital Fan, Nov 1, 2006
  8. Just Another Digital Fan

    Pat Guest

    Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    > I've just aquired a Fuji S9500 which
    > has an external flash hotshoe as well
    > as its own flash.
    >
    > For want of something better to do I
    > plugged in a 25 year old dual flash
    > Hanimex unit.
    >
    > The results indoors were a total white
    > out. The Hanimex is far too powerful.
    >
    > Is there any control over the Hanimex
    > power that I can invoke via the Fuji?
    > It would be nice to keep the almighty
    > maximum flash in reserve.
    >
    > TIA

    Does anyone know what the trigger voltage is, to make sure the OP
    doesn't fry the digicam.
    Pat, Nov 2, 2006
  9. Just Another Digital Fan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Pat wrote:

    > Does anyone know what the trigger voltage is, to make sure the OP
    > doesn't fry the digicam.

    He already used the flash.

    It would have smoked the cam if the voltage was too high..
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 2, 2006
  10. Just Another Digital Fan

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    Just Another Digital Fan wrote:
    > Dan Sullivan wrote:
    >
    > > You remember what I'm talking about?

    > LOL yes, thanks. I also have a hand held light meter and a Zenit E.
    >
    > I was suprised that my antique Cokin filter devices all fitted
    > straight onto the Fuji. That should be fun when I get
    > around to using them as well.

    If you're looking for some great software try Picasa2, and it's free.

    You'll love it.

    http://google.picasa.com/

    Best, Dan
    Dan Sullivan, Nov 2, 2006