Old film equipment value ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve m..., May 10, 2006.

  1. Steve m...

    Steve m... Guest

    Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    enough to even put say on Ebay ?

    I spent most of the day today tinkering with my old 35mm film equipment.
    It's all in beautiful condition, it all functions properly, and I'm kinda
    sad that it's no longer useful to me. I made up an inventory of everything
    and took some pictures. I'm gonna find it a new home....some collector, or
    a film addict...whatever.

    I ran a roll of ISO 200 print film through one body. Took some macro shots
    of flowers, etc., just to see what it looks like again....my last roll of
    film.

    Here's the list

    Minolta XE-7 body 1174100 with original owners manual
    and BOX

    Minolta XE-7 body 1240473 with original owners manual
    and BOX

    Minolta Prime lenses:

    MD Rokkor-X 28mm F2.8 1234906 with Skylight 1A

    MD Rokkor-X 50mm F1.4 3104616 with Skylight 1A

    MD Rokkor-X 135mm F2.8 1235435 with Skylight 1A

    Minolta Zoom lenses:

    MD Rokkor-X 35-70mm F3.5 1009947

    MD Rokkor-x 75-200mm F4.5 2018491

    Minolta Macro lens:

    Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm Macro F3.5 8013615 with Extension
    tube for 1:1

    Minolta MD 2X Teleconverter 300-S 105628

    Minolta Reverse ring 2

    Prinz ND4X Neutral density filter

    Vivitar Polarizing filter

    Prinz 85B filter

    Rokunar 81B filter

    Rokunar 80A filter

    Hoya "soft sport" special effect filter

    Pro 4X cross filter

    Vivitar 283 Flash with optional VP-1 Manual power module and remote
    sensor adaptor cable.

    Lens filter adaptor with color filters and clear
    filters.

    Vivitar 5600 Digital Flash system with High Power Zoom head &
    Minolta processor module and Super Wide Angle filter.

    Vivitar flash bracket

    Remote release cables (2).

    Lowe-Pro Elite 2 camera bag.

    Misc cleaning supplies (lens pen, lens cloth, etc.)
    Steve m..., May 10, 2006

  2. Steve m...

    gr Guest

    Steve m... wrote:
    > Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    > enough to even put say on Ebay ?
    >
    > I spent most of the day today tinkering with my old 35mm film equipment.
    > It's all in beautiful condition, it all functions properly, and I'm kinda
    > sad that it's no longer useful to me. I made up an inventory of everything
    > and took some pictures. I'm gonna find it a new home....some collector, or
    > a film addict...whatever.
    >
    > I ran a roll of ISO 200 print film through one body. Took some macro shots
    > of flowers, etc., just to see what it looks like again....my last roll of
    > film.
    >
    > Here's the list

    > Minolta XE-7 body 1174100 with original owners manual
    > and BOX
    >
    > Minolta XE-7 body 1240473 with original owners manual
    > and BOX
    >

    > Minolta Prime lenses:
    >
    > MD Rokkor-X 28mm F2.8 1234906 with Skylight 1A
    >
    > MD Rokkor-X 50mm F1.4 3104616 with Skylight 1A
    >
    > MD Rokkor-X 135mm F2.8 1235435 with Skylight 1A
    >

    > Minolta Zoom lenses:
    >
    > MD Rokkor-X 35-70mm F3.5 1009947
    >
    > MD Rokkor-x 75-200mm F4.5 2018491
    >

    > Minolta Macro lens:
    >
    > Minolta Rokkor-X 50mm Macro F3.5 8013615 with Extension
    > tube for 1:1
    >

    > Minolta MD 2X Teleconverter 300-S 105628
    >

    > Minolta Reverse ring 2
    >

    > Prinz ND4X Neutral density filter
    >
    > Vivitar Polarizing filter
    >
    > Prinz 85B filter
    >
    > Rokunar 81B filter
    >
    > Rokunar 80A filter
    >
    > Hoya "soft sport" special effect filter
    >
    > Pro 4X cross filter
    >

    > Vivitar 283 Flash with optional VP-1 Manual power module and remote
    > sensor adaptor cable.
    >
    > Lens filter adaptor with color filters and clear
    > filters.
    >

    > Vivitar 5600 Digital Flash system with High Power Zoom head &
    > Minolta processor module and Super Wide Angle filter.
    >

    > Vivitar flash bracket
    >

    > Remote release cables (2).
    >

    > Lowe-Pro Elite 2 camera bag.
    >

    > Misc cleaning supplies (lens pen, lens cloth, etc.)

    It is always useful to somebody. Probably best deal and easier handling
    for you if you sell it as a lot.
    gr
    gr, May 10, 2006

  3. Steve m...

    Stacey Guest

    Steve m... wrote:

    > Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    > enough to even put say on Ebay ?

    I disagree with the other guy, do NOT sell as a lot. You might sell the
    small items (filters) in a lot but sell each body and lens as a separate
    item. Bigs lots of gear don't bring much as very few people are looking
    for exactly the same setup you wanted. But yes it's worth selling.
    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, May 10, 2006
  4. "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> writes:

    > Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    > enough to even put say on Ebay ?
    >
    > I spent most of the day today tinkering with my old 35mm film equipment.
    > It's all in beautiful condition, it all functions properly, and I'm kinda
    > sad that it's no longer useful to me. I made up an inventory of everything
    > and took some pictures. I'm gonna find it a new home....some collector, or
    > a film addict...whatever.
    >
    > I ran a roll of ISO 200 print film through one body. Took some macro shots
    > of flowers, etc., just to see what it looks like again....my last roll of
    > film.
    >
    > Here's the list

    [big list snipped]

    In March and early April I sold a bunch of old film equipment,
    including two Nikon manual focus bodies and a Nikon AF body, and some
    Nikkor lenses and some 3rd-party lenses, and other stuff, for enough
    to make it worth *my* while. Best price guide you can find is the
    range of *completed* transactions on Ebay. I sold about 21 pieces for
    a total of about $2400, which was a few hundred dollars *more* than I
    estimated it would come to.

    An old user FM seemed to go for around $80. The N90 went over $100 a
    bit. If I had to guess I'd say your Minolta bodies wouldn't go quite
    that high; but check completed auctions and see what really happens
    rather than paying any attention to my opinions on Minolta values.

    I don't think I started anything over $25, and one item finally sold
    for over $600 (my one modern piece, a Fuji S2 DSLR). I started some
    items for $.01, and many of them went to $30 or so. Looking at
    completed auctions, items that *didn't sell* very often had high
    minimum bids (sometimes below the final selling prices of other items
    that sold, but much higher than the *starting* prices of the items
    that sold). Everything I listed, sold, nearly all for many many times
    the starting bids (as I say, I decided starting things low was
    productive).

    I even sold a broken Nikon LS-2000 scanner "for parts", starting it at
    $.01 and eventually getting over $60 for it.

    I also spent quite a lot of time on this, between photographing the
    equipment, writing the descriptions, and packing and shipping. And
    obsessively tracking the status of my auctions, but that's optional
    :).
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 10, 2006
  5. "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> wrote:

    > Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    > enough to even put say on Ebay ?

    Old film equipment is useless and of no value. But since I'm such a nice
    guy, if anyone has a Mamiya 7 43/4.5 lens* sitting around, I'll take it off
    your hands. Heck, I'll even pay the shipping<g>.

    Seriously, check if any of those lenses will work on the Minolta, (oops,
    Konica-Minolta, (oops, Sony-Konica-Minolta)) dSLRs. If so, they may have
    more life in them than you think. Even if they're not AF lenses, they might
    be usable with an adapter. Ask the folks in the forum below.

    Also, keep at least one film body (with one primt) just for nostalgia.

    *: Despite the death of film and the demise of medium format, this lens
    (which I actually want) still goes for around US$1400 used. Sigh.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 10, 2006
  6. I have no knowledge of the specific items in your list but my impression is
    that film camera equipment can only fetch a fraction of its true value when
    offered for sale. Unless you are desperately strapped for cash, I would
    hang on to it.

    I kept mine in a box in the attic and was glad that I did. The night before
    an important family occasion, my digital camera decided to die on me. The
    next morning I rushed out and bought a couple of rolls of 35mm film and a
    battery, dusted off the old SLR and problem solved. It served me well for
    the next three weeks whilst my digital was at the repair shop.

    So my advice is keep it. You never know when it might come in useful.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, May 10, 2006
  7. Steve m...

    2 Guest

    Unfortunately, only certain collectible and high-end 35mm cameras are
    valuable today (among 35mm cameras.) Mirandas and their like were always
    economy cameras and don't fetch but pennies to the dollar now. That does
    not mean they aren't decent cameras! Use them. Enjoy.
    2, May 10, 2006
  8. "2" <> wrote:
    > Unfortunately, only certain collectible and high-end 35mm cameras are
    > valuable today (among 35mm cameras.) Mirandas and their like were always
    > economy cameras and don't fetch but pennies to the dollar now. That does
    > not mean they aren't decent cameras! Use them. Enjoy.

    Whew! You had me worried for a minute there that I had spaced out.

    Fortunately, it's you, not me.

    The OP has old _Minolta_ equipment. There's an enormous difference.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 10, 2006
  9. David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "Steve m..." <Stevem5215@PLEASEno_spam_.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Here's a list of old film equipment that is for sale. Is any of it worth
    >> enough to even put say on Ebay ?

    > Old film equipment is useless and of no value. But since I'm such a nice
    > guy, if anyone has a Mamiya 7 43/4.5 lens* sitting around, I'll take it off
    > your hands. Heck, I'll even pay the shipping<g>.

    I have three of those, one in the original box. First person to get the
    $8,000 shipping and handling to me gets them....

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, May 10, 2006
  10. Steve m...

    2 Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:

    > The OP has old _Minolta_ equipment. There's an enormous difference.

    Same difference. Never mind that Minolta made a couple 'name' cameras for
    the Big Boys. Their value is marginal, at best. Still, they take decent
    pictures.
    2, May 11, 2006
  11. On Wed, 10 May 2006 18:47:03 -0500, "2" <> wrote:

    >"David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> The OP has old _Minolta_ equipment. There's an enormous difference.

    >Same difference. Never mind that Minolta made a couple 'name' cameras for
    >the Big Boys. Their value is marginal, at best. Still, they take decent
    >pictures.

    ....and my SRT 101's work without batteries....

    Plus I still have mercury batteries that just won't die...LOL

    --

    Scott in Florida
    Scott in Florida, May 11, 2006
  12. Steve m...

    2 Guest

    "Scott in Florida" <> wrote:

    > ...and my SRT 101's work without batteries....

    A great camera. No batteries on top of it's great quality makes it a
    winner... not that any of these digitalmaniacs will ever get the clue.
    That's good for us.
    2, May 11, 2006
  13. "2" <> writes:

    > "Scott in Florida" <> wrote:
    >
    > > ...and my SRT 101's work without batteries....

    > A great camera. No batteries on top of it's great quality makes it a
    > winner... not that any of these digitalmaniacs will ever get the clue.
    > That's good for us.

    It was an okay second-tier camera when I was getting started, but it
    hasn't aged well compared to the Nikon offerings.
    RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
    David Dyer-Bennet, May 11, 2006
  14. Steve m...

    Mike Fields Guest

    > "2" <> wrote:
    >> Unfortunately, only certain collectible and high-end 35mm cameras are
    >> valuable today (among 35mm cameras.) Mirandas and their like were
    >> always economy cameras and don't fetch but pennies to the dollar now.
    >> That does not mean they aren't decent cameras! Use them. Enjoy.

    > Whew! You had me worried for a minute there that I had spaced out.
    >
    > Fortunately, it's you, not me.
    >
    > The OP has old _Minolta_ equipment. There's an enormous difference.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    I had the same reaction (AAADD - Advanced Age Attention Deficit
    Disorder)
    When I first read it, I thought he had been looking at all my old camera
    stuff.
    Can't bear to part with my Minoltas (SR-7, SRT-101, XG-SE etc. - still
    like
    the old Vivitar 70-210 Macro/Zoom lens)

    mikey
    Mike Fields, May 11, 2006
  15. Steve m...

    Richard Guest

    The SR-7 brings back fond memories of my early student days when I had
    to borrow the money from a friend to buy my first SLR! Then on to a
    couple of SRT-101's when I turned Pro. Then the company changed me to
    a Nikon F and so on through the whole range up to a D2Hs at present.
    Now if I could convince them that a D2X would give them really better
    pictures ;-)

    Richard

    Anybody want to buy a couple of extremely well used press Nikon F4s
    and an F5 body with assorted tired lenses, 52mm. filters and various
    bits and pieces?

    Richard, May 19, 2006