    am archiving for posterity, and will be processing the pictures in photoshop
    6.0. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Duncan Raleigh, N.C. -U.S.A.
    Duncan McEwen, Jul 12, 2003

  2. Duncan McEwen

    HRosita Guest

    >Duncan McEwen wrote:

    >I will be digitalizing old family slides and want to use a professional
    >service to do the work. I have never been through this before and would
    >like advice on finding a service, what resolution to have them done in. I
    >am archiving for posterity, and will be processing the pictures in photoshop

    Hi,

    A decent lab is www.imagers.com in Atlanta. they have been around for quite a
    while (a bit pricey).
    I would have the slides scanned at high resolution. While today your needs
    might not be that high, who knows what will be available in 2, 5 or 10 years.
    Right now monitor resolution is already available at 1600x1200, double the
    800x600 of a few years back.
    You don't mention the number of slides, but having a lab do it can be quite
    expensive. If you have the time, and you intend to manipulate the images in
    Photoshop, buying a dedicated slide scanner might be an option.
    I just ordered a Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 for $845. Nikon is offering rebates
    for their scanners.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jul 12, 2003

  3. Duncan McEwen

    Mick Ruthven Guest

    You can get them put onto a Kodak Photo CD (not "Picture CD"). It gives
    multiple resolutions (not particularly important) with the highest res of
    2048 x 3072 pixels. Good quality scans. I thnk the prices are 50c to $1 per
    slide, depending on where you get it done.

    Mick Ruthven, Jul 12, 2003
  4. And before you send a large pack of slides to a service to have them scanned
    I would recommend that you send in a few first to see if you like their work.

    --
    Ed Fortmiller | | Hudson MA
    *
    Ed Fortmiller, Jul 13, 2003