Old Console TV Question

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Treetop, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Treetop

    Treetop Guest

    I realize that this is a DVD movie group, however I have a DVD and VCR
    hooked up to this TV, primarily used for my 3 yr old to watch HIS
    movies on. Barney will NEVER be on my good TV, lol.

    I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
    it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
    against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
    hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
    minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

    If I turn it off for 10 to 20 min or so it will work again for another
    hour. My best guess is that it is over heating, if that is possible.
    Would drilling more vent holes in the particle board back cover help?
    I am married, so the logical thing to put everything back to when it
    did work is not an option (any ladies care to explain as I am baffled
    why she won't let me?)

    This TV was my old fraternity's old television for the 4 years I was
    there. I want to keep it working as it has quite a few memories (many
    are fuzzy for some reason...), as well as bragging rights when I hook
    up with some of the old frat guys.
    Treetop, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Treetop

    Eric R. Guest

    "Treetop" <> wrote in message

    > I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
    > it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
    > against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
    > hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
    > minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

    That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If you
    only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you have to
    buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to hook
    the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through a
    VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the TV.

    RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384608080&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08063

    Good luck.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Dec 23, 2003

  3. Treetop

    Bur Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Treetop" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to have
    > > it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
    > > against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min to an
    > > hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
    > > minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

    > That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If you
    > only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you have to
    > buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to hook
    > the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through a
    > VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the TV.
    >
    > RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:
    >
    > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384608080&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08063
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > -Eric

    Eric, you are right about Macrovision but the problems caused by
    Macrovision won't be affected by turning the TV off then on again.
    Does the problem also occur on broadcast TV? If so, heat may be a
    problem. As far as Macrovision, I was able to turn it off on my DVD
    player by loading a special CD-R with a flash update. That's the best
    way. Otherwise the $20-30 Eric mentioned could better be used towards
    an inexpensive TV. I have seen new 19" TVs for well under $100
    recently. Good luck.
    Bur, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Treetop

    Treetop Guest

    > > "Treetop" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > I have an old 25 ish inch console TV in my basement. I used to

    have
    > > > it in a corner at an angle, and it worked fine. Now it is flat
    > > > against the wall, and it will start to fade after about 45 min

    to an
    > > > hour. The picture will go dark, then back again for a couple of
    > > > minutes, then dark........ just fading in and out.

    > > That's Macrovision. You can't run a DVD player through a VCR. If

    you
    > > only have a coaxial input (a cable hookup) on your TV then you

    have to
    > > buy an RF modulator (available at Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc.) to

    hook
    > > the DVD player directly up to the TV. If you try to run it through

    > > VCR, you'll get the dark/bright/dark/bright pattern you see on the

    TV.

    > > RF modulators usually run about $20-$30. Here is an example:

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384608080&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08063

    > > Good luck.
    > >
    > > -Eric

    > Eric, you are right about Macrovision but the problems caused by
    > Macrovision won't be affected by turning the TV off then on again.
    > Does the problem also occur on broadcast TV? If so, heat may be a
    > problem. As far as Macrovision, I was able to turn it off on my DVD
    > player by loading a special CD-R with a flash update. That's the

    best
    > way. Otherwise the $20-30 Eric mentioned could better be used

    towards
    > an inexpensive TV. I have seen new 19" TVs for well under $100
    > recently. Good luck.

    The problem occurs whether it is broadcast TV, VCR or DVD. It never
    had the problem until we moved the unit. Like I mentioned earlier, my
    wife does not want it moved back as she likes it in the room this way.
    Would drilling more vent holes in the particle board back cover help?
    Possibly even holes in the wood on the sides?
    Treetop, Dec 29, 2003