    Computer does not boot up when sound card is plugged in.
    Have four, five and a half inch slots with nothing plugged into them.
    Is it just not going to work in this old computer?
    Dan, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Dan

    °Mike° Guest

    If by "old" you mean really old, then you may have
    a motherboard with ISA slots; newer sound cards
    use PCI slots.

    How to install a sound card:
    http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instsound.htm

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:37:55 GMT, in
    <TRD4d.81785$%S.44189@pd7tw2no>
    Dan scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Dan

    Buffalo Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Have an old computer, new sound card.
    > Forgive my "terminology".
    > Have only two, three and a half inch slots to plug sound card into.
    > Ethernet card is plugged into one of them.
    > Tried switching them around.
    > Computer does not boot up when sound card is plugged in.
    > Have four, five and a half inch slots with nothing plugged into

    them.
    > Is it just not going to work in this old computer?

    Most of the sound cards are PCI.
    Some may require that their 'drivers' be loaded before the card is
    inserted into the computer. (not likely, but possible)
    The PCI slots are usually 'white' in color , I believe, and about 3
    1/2 inches long with a divider in them.
    The ISA slots are around 5 1/2 inches long , I believe, and are brown
    in color. (Not really sure)
    I think the problem you may be having is that of IRQ sharing
    (conflict).
    Do you mean the computer does nothing when you try to boot up, or just
    doesn't boot into Windows?
    Do you have the make, model, ram, video card of your system?
    Buffalo, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Dan

    Buffalo Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Have an old computer, new sound card.
    > Forgive my "terminology".
    > Have only two, three and a half inch slots to plug sound card into.
    > Ethernet card is plugged into one of them.
    > Tried switching them around.
    > Computer does not boot up when sound card is plugged in.
    > Have four, five and a half inch slots with nothing plugged into

    them.
    > Is it just not going to work in this old computer?

    What did you use for a sound card before?
    Was it onboard?
    If so, you may have to go into the BIOS to disable it before
    installing the new card.
    Buffalo, Sep 23, 2004
  5. "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > Have an old computer, new sound card.
    > Forgive my "terminology".
    > Have only two, three and a half inch slots to plug sound card into.
    > Ethernet card is plugged into one of them.
    > Tried switching them around.
    > Computer does not boot up when sound card is plugged in.
    > Have four, five and a half inch slots with nothing plugged into them.
    > Is it just not going to work in this old computer?

    I think your "3 1/2" slots" are PCI slots and his "5 1/2" slots" are ISA
    slots. Will it boot when you remove the card? If so, then you didn't fry
    anything critical when working under the hood. Make sure everything else in
    the computer is still plugged in tight... this goes for the other cards,
    too. Take a can of Dust-Off and spray out the inside... the PCI slots, too.
    Make sure it has good contact.

    What OS are you running?

    PS. I have "an old" computer with PCI and, yes, it has a few ISA slots
    (unused). You should be able to get the new card working on that system.
    Totally Serious, Sep 23, 2004