Old Computer Keybord

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Apr 8, 2007.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
    days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
    electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
    keyboard was sold by General.

    The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
    keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
    prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
    where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
    turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
    caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
    rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
    boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.

    I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
    keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
    (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
    keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!

    Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
    model M.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 8, 2007

  2. Robert Cooze

    Rob S Guest

    Robert Cooze wrote:
    > I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
    > days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
    > electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
    > keyboard was sold by General.
    >
    > The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
    > keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
    > prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
    > where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
    > turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
    > caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
    > rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
    > boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
    >
    > I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
    > keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
    > (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
    > keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
    >
    > Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
    > model M.

    This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
    or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
    serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
    key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
    of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
    decent clean.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    cthread. cthread_fork(). Fork, thread, fork!
    Rob S, Apr 9, 2007

  3. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
    >> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
    >> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
    >> keyboard was sold by General.
    >>
    >> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
    >> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
    >> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
    >> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
    >> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
    >> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
    >> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
    >> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
    >>
    >> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
    >> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
    >> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
    >> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
    >>
    >> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
    >> model M.

    > This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
    > or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
    > serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
    > key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
    > of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
    > decent clean.

    It has the large din connection it also has a at xt swich if that is any
    help. as for the cleaning the keyboard responded well to IPA galss
    cleaner and spray and wipe! also the cable is encapsulated to the
    keyboard and is nice and long! It also has a tiltable function key map
    compleat with Microsoft word v5.0 and Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 key maps

    Robert Cooze, Apr 9, 2007
  4. Robert Cooze

    Jeremy Guest

    I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
    here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
    inbuit calculator was a great feature.

    sorry cant help more

    Jeremy

    Jeremy, Apr 9, 2007
  5. Robert Cooze

    Greg Guest

    From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
    the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
    adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
    those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
    supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
    up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
    state. As for the software, cant help you there.

    Greg

    Greg, Apr 9, 2007
  6. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Greg wrote:
    > From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
    > the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
    > adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
    > those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
    > supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
    > up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
    > state. As for the software, cant help you there.
    >
    > Greg
    >

    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a love for the unlovable I have picked up a keyboard from the old
    >> days of before the mouse mattered. This thing was made by Focus
    >> electronic co ltd (google just comes up with there current web site) the
    >> keyboard was sold by General.
    >>
    >> The keybord has a calculator built in which works fine! it also has some
    >> keys marked from PF1 trough to PF12 on the left hand side there is a
    >> prog key between the ALT and CTRL on the right hand side a Blank key
    >> where the windows key would have been. Other things to note there is a
    >> turbo in the middle of the 8 way cursor keys and the led's for num lock,
    >> caps lock and scroll lock are in the keys them self. It has a
    >> rechargeable battery that needs to be charged up before a computer will
    >> boot with it attached and see the keyboard from bios.
    >>
    >> I know of rumors that say this can do in the keyboard IO thing if the
    >> keyboard is hot pluged into the system. Any peaces of rememberbilliar
    >> (excuse spelling) was there any special software needed to drive the PF
    >> keys or is it i haven't found the right key sequence to use them!
    >>
    >> Hope this takes out the boring out of this group I still want a IBM
    >> model M.
    >> --
    >> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
    >>
    >> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    >> / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    >> ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

    Yep Have the thing going just querying about the extra keys. The wife
    has found it a keyboard for very fast typing.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 9, 2007
  7. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
    > here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
    > inbuit calculator was a great feature.
    >
    > sorry cant help more
    >
    > Jeremy

    This has a general sticker on it. I had said it was sold by general.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 9, 2007
  8. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Jeremy wrote:
    > I had one of these it came with a 3x6 machine we brought from pc general
    > here in NZ. sorry cannot remember software used to enable function keys,
    > inbuit calculator was a great feature.
    >
    > sorry cant help more
    >
    > Jeremy
    >
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >> Rob S wrote:

    >>> This sounds like a programmable keyboard from an IBM vt100, Wyse 55/60
    >>> or somesuch vt100 type terminal. What sort of plug, din, 9 or 15 pin
    >>> serial? Sorry, I can't remember the key sequence to get into the inbuilt
    >>> key-mapping software if it is from a vt100 terminal emulator. With some
    >>> of those old keyboards you could pop the keys out easily to give them a
    >>> decent clean.
    >>>

    >> It has the large din connection it also has a at xt swich if that is any
    >> help. as for the cleaning the keyboard responded well to IPA galss
    >> cleaner and spray and wipe! also the cable is encapsulated to the
    >> keyboard and is nice and long! It also has a tiltable function key map
    >> compleat with Microsoft word v5.0 and Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 key maps

    Found this link was able to work out how to program the keys!

    http://www.dataconnection.com/sna/sxdocs/3270ug.htm?./3270ug18.htm

    Kind of like a cut N paste thing but done by the keyboard.

    step one hold down the prog key while holding the PF key
    step two press the key stroke sequence
    press the PF key again

    Robert Cooze, Apr 9, 2007
  9. Robert Cooze

    Rhino Guest

    On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:55:52 +1200, "Greg" <> wrote:

    >From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
    >the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
    >adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
    >those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
    >supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
    >up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
    >state. As for the software, cant help you there.
    >
    >Greg

    If anyone knows where to find the AT - PS/2 adaptor that Greg
    mentioned, please reply here. I have just changed one of my file
    servers from an old AT machine to a new ATX and previously I had an
    old keyboard from a Wang PC on the box. It has the best tactile
    rsponse of any keyboard that I have ever used and would like to keep
    using it if possible. Currently I have a cheap Logitech kayboard on
    the box. It's ok, but not a patch on the Wang keyboard.
    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Apr 10, 2007
  10. On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:16:56 +1200, Rhino <> wrote:

    >If anyone knows where to find the AT - PS/2 adaptor that Greg
    >mentioned, please reply here. I have just changed one of my file
    >servers from an old AT machine to a new ATX and previously I had an
    >old keyboard from a Wang PC on the box. It has the best tactile
    >rsponse of any keyboard that I have ever used and would like to keep
    >using it if possible. Currently I have a cheap Logitech kayboard on
    >the box. It's ok, but not a patch on the Wang keyboard.
    >Cheers, Rhino

    Dick Smith part no X8207
    Jaycar CAT. NO. PL0941
    Warehouse Stationary

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, Apr 10, 2007
  11. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > On Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:55:52 +1200, "Greg" <> wrote:
    >
    >>From what I can remember, the big din and mini din (ps/2) are electrically
    >> the same (make sure it's not switched to xt), you may be able to pick up and
    >> adaptor and plug it straight in to the ps/2 keyboard port. careful though
    >> those keyboards with built in calculators where known to spike the power
    >> supply when they are plugged/unplugged with the computer powered up and end
    >> up frying the computer, so I would only plug/unplug it in the powered down
    >> state. As for the software, cant help you there.
    >>
    >> Greg
    >>

    > If anyone knows where to find the AT - PS/2 adaptor that Greg
    > mentioned, please reply here. I have just changed one of my file
    > servers from an old AT machine to a new ATX and previously I had an
    > old keyboard from a Wang PC on the box. It has the best tactile
    > rsponse of any keyboard that I have ever used and would like to keep
    > using it if possible. Currently I have a cheap Logitech kayboard on
    > the box. It's ok, but not a patch on the Wang keyboard.
    > Cheers, Rhino

    I got my last one from Warehouse Stationary in a $1.00 Chuck out bin!
    They use to be common as mud but now you have to look for them.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 10, 2007