    Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot menu
    but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Maybe

    WormWood Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    news:1_qre.61659$...
    > Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly
    > it will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the
    > boot menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.

    What happens when you select Safe Mode? :))
    WormWood, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Maybe wrote:

    > Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    > will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot menu
    > but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.

    Isn't a 486 in today's world going to just turn him off about computing?

    No, no, stop it. I use Linux. I use the command line with ease. I
    know you can do stuff with a 486. But not the things people do today,
    and not with expectation of stuff completing the same day it's started.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2005
  4. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    > Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    > will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    > menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.

    Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three finger
    salute reveals that background programs are running. However, the screen is
    definitely of Safe Mode config.
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  5. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >> will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    >> menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    >>

    > What happens when you select Safe Mode? :))

    Doknow. I'll find out right now. Betting it will look the same but
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Maybe

    Barman Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message

    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >> will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    >> menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    >>

    > Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three finger
    > salute reveals that background programs are running. However, the screen
    > is definitely of Safe Mode config.

    Well Okay, we can discern your screen resolution has changed -
    But you need to supply more detail in what you have been doing
    with that PC? You supply little detail or info to be able to help you!
    Barman, Jun 14, 2005
  7. Maybe

    Stevo Guest

    Maybe wrote:
    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice,
    >> suddenly it will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal
    >> Mode from the boot menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the
    >> "sticky"?, please.

    > Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three
    > finger salute reveals that background programs are running. However,
    > the screen is definitely of Safe Mode config.

    If it doesn't say Safe Mode in the four corners of the screen then it
    isn't safe mode..

    Sounds like you just need to change your display settings..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Jun 14, 2005
  8. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message

    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >> will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    >> menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    >>

    > What happens when you select Safe Mode? :))

    Wouldn't you know ---- it boots into Safe Mode with those labels in the
    corner of the screen.
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  9. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Maybe wrote:
    >

    >>Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >>will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot menu
    >>but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.

    > Isn't a 486 in today's world going to just turn him off about computing?
    >
    > No, no, stop it. I use Linux. I use the command line with ease. I
    > know you can do stuff with a 486. But not the things people do today,
    > and not with expectation of stuff completing the same day it's started.

    With a good 486 and 16 megs of RAM and Linux, you can make an extremely
    fast and reliable lamp timer.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005
  10. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Maybe wrote:

    >>>Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >>>will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot menu
    >>>but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.

    >> Isn't a 486 in today's world going to just turn him off about computing?

    >> No, no, stop it. I use Linux. I use the command line with ease. I
    >> know you can do stuff with a 486. But not the things people do today,
    >> and not with expectation of stuff completing the same day it's started.

    > With a good 486 and 16 megs of RAM and Linux, you can make an extremely
    > fast and reliable lamp timer.

    But it won't be X-10 compatible. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2005
  11. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > But it won't be X-10 compatible. :)

    X-10 doesn't even allow for "Clap on, clap off."
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005
  12. Maybe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message

    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >> will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    >> menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    >>

    > Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three finger
    > salute reveals that background programs are running. However, the screen
    > is definitely of Safe Mode config.

    Nope - color is set wrong. Right-click on a blank area of the screen, then
    select Properties from the menu. Click on the Settings tab. Go near the
    bottom, check the slider for resolution - 15" screen you would probably want
    800x600 and for color - you probably aare set at 16 colors. Set it to at
    least 256 colors, if not 16 bit.

    Now, if that *doesn't* work, you may have the wrong video driver selected.
    But try the above first.
    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2005
  13. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> But it won't be X-10 compatible. :)

    > X-10 doesn't even allow for "Clap on, clap off."

    OK, you clowns! I'm feeling better about this whole fiasco. But I still
    want to know how the Hell to straighten out this monitor. I must confess
    that I did center the roster and expand the horizontal sweep--but that's a
    pretty innocent change.
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  14. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >>> Getting my Win98/486 Gateway ready for transfer to a novice, suddenly it
    >>> will boot only to Safe Mode. I have selected Normal Mode from the boot
    >>> menu but it still boots in Safe. Where's the "sticky"?, please.
    >>>

    >> Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three finger
    >> salute reveals that background programs are running. However, the screen
    >> is definitely of Safe Mode config.

    > Nope - color is set wrong. Right-click on a blank area of the screen, then
    > select Properties from the menu. Click on the Settings tab. Go near the
    > bottom, check the slider for resolution - 15" screen you would probably
    > want 800x600 and for color - you probably aare set at 16 colors. Set it to
    > at least 256 colors, if not 16 bit.
    >
    > Now, if that *doesn't* work, you may have the wrong video driver selected.
    > But try the above first.

    Tim, you're so goddam smart, I could kiss your butt. Your diagnosis was
    right on the button! We're back in business. Did I say, "Thanks"?
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  15. Maybe

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Maybe" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Whoa!!! Apparently it's not a genuine Safe Mode boot. The three finger
    >>> salute reveals that background programs are running. However, the
    >>> screen is definitely of Safe Mode config.

    >> Nope - color is set wrong. Right-click on a blank area of the screen,
    >> then select Properties from the menu. Click on the Settings tab. Go near
    >> the bottom, check the slider for resolution - 15" screen you would
    >> probably want 800x600 and for color - you probably aare set at 16 colors.
    >> Set it to at least 256 colors, if not 16 bit.
    >>
    >> Now, if that *doesn't* work, you may have the wrong video driver
    >> selected. But try the above first.
    >>

    > Tim, you're so goddam smart, I could kiss your butt. Your diagnosis was
    > right on the button! We're back in business. Did I say, "Thanks"?

    You're welcome! You'll get a laugh about this: a retired gentleman I do
    computer repairs for had his system get totally locked up installing DSL. So
    he took it to the local ISP, who worked on it for an hour or so and couldn't
    get Windows to even run. He brought it over tonight and I had it running 5
    minutes after I powered it up. I gave it back, told him to hook it up all
    EXCEPT the DSL, and then call the ISP to go through the setup with them on
    the phone. After all, that's what they get paid for <g>
    Toolman Tim, Jun 14, 2005
  16. Maybe wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >>

    >>>But it won't be X-10 compatible. :)

    >>X-10 doesn't even allow for "Clap on, clap off."

    > OK, you clowns! I'm feeling better about this whole fiasco. But I still
    > want to know how the Hell to straighten out this monitor. I must confess
    > that I did center the roster and expand the horizontal sweep--but that's a
    > pretty innocent change.

    He started it! It was the shark.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005
  17. Maybe

    Maybe Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Maybe wrote:
    >> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>>X-10 doesn't even allow for "Clap on, clap off."

    >> OK, you clowns! I'm feeling better about this whole fiasco. But I still
    >> want to know how the Hell to straighten out this monitor. I must confess
    >> that I did center the roster and expand the horizontal sweep--but that's
    >> a pretty innocent change.

    > He started it! It was the shark.

    Kill! Kill!
    Maybe, Jun 14, 2005
  18. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Maybe" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"Maybe" <> wrote in message

    >>>Nope - color is set wrong. Right-click on a blank area of the screen,
    >>>then select Properties from the menu. Click on the Settings tab. Go near
    >>>the bottom, check the slider for resolution - 15" screen you would
    >>>probably want 800x600 and for color - you probably aare set at 16 colors.
    >>>Set it to at least 256 colors, if not 16 bit.
    >>>
    >>>Now, if that *doesn't* work, you may have the wrong video driver
    >>>selected. But try the above first.
    >>>

    >>Tim, you're so goddam smart, I could kiss your butt. Your diagnosis was
    >>right on the button! We're back in business. Did I say, "Thanks"?

    > You're welcome! You'll get a laugh about this: a retired gentleman I do
    > computer repairs for had his system get totally locked up installing DSL. So
    > he took it to the local ISP, who worked on it for an hour or so and couldn't
    > get Windows to even run. He brought it over tonight and I had it running 5
    > minutes after I powered it up. I gave it back, told him to hook it up all
    > EXCEPT the DSL, and then call the ISP to go through the setup with them on
    > the phone. After all, that's what they get paid for <g>

    You're so damned smart, but I still won't kiss your ass without the
    right offer.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005
  19. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> But it won't be X-10 compatible. :)

    > X-10 doesn't even allow for "Clap on, clap off."

    I've always tried to avoid clap, myself.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2005
  20. Maybe wrote:

    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Maybe wrote:
    >>> "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message

    >>> OK, you clowns! I'm feeling better about this whole fiasco. But I still

    Clowns have huge funny shows. I don't even have feet.

    >>> want to know how the Hell to straighten out this monitor. I must confess
    >>> that I did center the roster and expand the horizontal sweep--but that's
    >>> a pretty innocent change.

    >> He started it! It was the shark.

    > Kill! Kill!

    Hey, Roger always says that. Are you going to fall for it like the
    newbs usually do? :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 14, 2005